Old 5 Jan 2003, 01:34 (Ref:464062)   #1
Julian
Racer

United Kingdom
Towcester
Julian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On Line Volunteering!

Hi all,

You can volunteer on-line for BRSCC Midland Centre, 750MC, AMOC, SUNBAC, BRSCC Northern, JCC, Cadwell, MGCC, HSCC and the Cadwell Training Day using my web Site:
www.marshals.org.uk

Thanks to Fay, there is also a comprehensive list of events for 2003 provided.

Should anyone like me to add their volunteering form to the site, please send me a list of dates along with a contact e-mail address.

Best Wishes for 2003

Julian
www.marshals.org.uk
e-mail me
Old 5 Jan 2003, 23:11 (Ref:464881)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice one, Julian, an excellent idea. Can I make one suggestion to think about for future seasons?

I don't always perform the same duty, I like a variety, so sometimes I do flag, sometimes incident. Would it be possible to have the 'preferred duty' box on each event, rather than for the season? Currently I faff about at the beginning of the year sorting out who I'm volunteering for for which duty and trying to keep them separate. I would find this feature a huge bonus. What does anyone else think?

ps Could we lobby all clubs to provide their forms to this site which would make life even easier.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 23:13 (Ref:464883)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Have you considered adding the 10 Tenths marshals forum to your site Julian? See http://tentenths.com/forum/affiliate.php
Old 5 Jan 2003, 23:27 (Ref:464901)   #4
Julian
Racer

United Kingdom
Towcester
Thanks Woolley.

I take your point about differing duties. I have tried to keep the forms as simple as possible - I will certainly think about it.

Is there any other feature that would be useful?

I am happy to add any clubs forms - this is why I have kept it "independant" from any particular club. The hope is that in due course, it could be a central site to find ANY volunteering and event details.

Regards,
Julian
Old 6 Jan 2003, 09:20 (Ref:465128)   #5
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
uk, mallorca & florida...
paul.hickman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Julian - brilliant idea for volunteering - I shall be using it just once I've sorted out my 2003 availability - it would be fantastic if it could be developed for other clubs/venues. It seems that the BMMC has missed a trick or two here ....
Old 6 Jan 2003, 18:52 (Ref:465571)   #6
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good idea Julian I have used it for MGCC.
I will be sending you the lawnmower 12 hr volunteer form soon.
Thanks,
Richard S.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 21:41 (Ref:465751)   #7
Julian
Racer

United Kingdom
Towcester
AOL Browser doesnt allow forms! Any Ideas?!

It appears that the AOL Browser doesnt allow form to be submitted. All I receive is blank files. I have found that there are numerous web references to this problem! Are there any web designers out there that know a simple fix?

In the mean time, I suggest that AOL users use the latest FULL version of Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Any ideas anyone?

Regards,
Julian
Old 8 Jan 2003, 13:56 (Ref:467292)   #8
chrisgr31
Racer

chrisgr31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a matter of interest do you know whether it is all AOL users that can't submit forms or just those with AOL Broadband? During December I was unable to post messgaes to this site using my Broadband connection. Since Monday I have apparently been able to send them but they haven't appeared so I think they might be blank. I know I can't complete other forms on other sites using Broadband but can with dial up.

Incidentially if you could let me know how you found the sites detailing the problem I'd love to investigate. I spoke to an AOL tech rep the other day who thought my problems might be AOL network related.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 22:10 (Ref:467915)   #9
Julian
Racer

United Kingdom
Towcester
Hi,

I dont really understand the AOL Browser problem, but I beilive that is is gerneal to AOL browsers.

All I did was a Google search for something like +AOL +form +problems - there are plenty of hits describing the problem, but unfortunatley I dont think that there is any way round this, other than to avoid using the AOL Browser...

If anyone DOES know a fix..... There must be someone out there who knows about these things!

Julian
Old 15 Jan 2003, 22:14 (Ref:475657)   #10
chrisgr31
Racer

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you but I haven't been able to post on this booard using my AOL account! Do you know what sort of online form you are using? I know I have had some problems recently but they have fixed themsleves today! However of course it may not be permament! Will have to see what happens when I sign on tomorrow!

Chris
Old 15 Jan 2003, 22:42 (Ref:475704)   #11
Julian
Racer

United Kingdom
Towcester
Hi
I am just using very simple forms generated with Dreamweaver with "method - post".
If you are using the AOL browser, could you please give it a go - just put "aol test" in the comments box.
All attempts so far, have just resuslted in me receiving a blank e-mail with no form data.
Thanks,
Julian
Old 17 Jan 2003, 13:23 (Ref:477212)   #12
chrisgr31
Racer

Not sure if you got my email on this. I tried completeing the form using AOL. Once you complete the relevant boxes and click submit then you get a warning stating that the information will be sent via email, and one's email address will be shown. Click Yes and AOLs write email window opens, with the send to field completed, the subject and main body fields being empty. I assume that people are just clicking on send, and hence you receive an empty email.

My guess is you probably need to use a different type of form to get AOL to complete it. I'll try asking some friends who are more knowledgeable if they can advise.

Chris
Old 17 Jan 2003, 13:53 (Ref:477243)   #13
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Julian
There are new versions of AOL comming out soon all based on the Netscape browser and will use GEKO technology. AOL have pointed out that there are problems with their 2 main browsers Netscape and AOL ver 7. By merging the 2 technologies together it might ease some of your problems with the website.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 13:55 (Ref:477248)   #14
Julian
Racer

United Kingdom
Towcester
Chris,
Thanks for this and the e-mail.
I wonder if I should look to use as ASP form system. I need to inverstgate this to see what I would need to do, what needs uploading to the host and so on. I also need to investigate AOL compatibility.
I used to use Formmail on a different host, I wonder if that would be better?
Any advice would be greatly received!
Regards,
Julian
Old 17 Jan 2003, 14:48 (Ref:477314)   #15
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would it be possible to my clubs events on there?
Old 17 Jan 2003, 15:01 (Ref:477330)   #16
Julian
Racer

United Kingdom
Towcester
I am happy to add any clubs events.
Juat send me a list of your events along with a contact e-mail address.
Regards,
Julian

Julian.Floyd@iee.org
Old 2 Feb 2003, 00:02 (Ref:493348)   #17
Julian
Racer

United Kingdom
Towcester
Should now work with AOL!

I have changed the form scrpt on the site. It should now work with AOL and the other few systems that had problems.
If you still have difficulties, please let me know.
(You may have to refresh the pages on your browser).
Regards,
Julian

www.marshals.org.uk