Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Apr 2002, 14:00 (Ref:270352)   #26
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But the wheel was jammed on the hub, that points to a problem with the Standard hub supplied by TOCA, so the system screws Tim Harvey out of another good potential finish.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 14:05 (Ref:270359)   #27
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!

Just to repeat what I've already said on more than one occation - This is not the place to bring up the whole Chilton/Harvey debate again.

Oversteer, I know there is an autocensor but please try to moderate your language. Censored or not that sort of thing is not welcome here.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 14:45 (Ref:270399)   #28
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by OVERSTEER
But the wheel was jammed on the hub, that points to a problem with the Standard hub supplied by TOCA, so the system screws Tim Harvey out of another good potential finish.
Yeah, what a lousy trick, supplying Harvey with a faulty component to rob him of second place.

Last edited by Dave Brand; 25 Apr 2002 at 14:46.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 16:24 (Ref:270475)   #29
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But the wheel was jammed on the hub, that points to a problem with the Standard hub supplied by TOCA, so the system ****** Tim Harvey out of another good potential finish.
Rules are Rules, it's that simple
Old 25 Apr 2002, 17:27 (Ref:270532)   #30
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it may not have been a faukty wheel hub assembly at all, it could be that the mechanic who put the wheel on before the race cross-threaded the nut causing it to become jammed.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 19:33 (Ref:270659)   #31
Rhys
Rookie

Rhys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps this is me just being stupid, because i'm not 100% sure of the rules. Don't they state that 2 tyres must be changed, but not specify which ones? someone mentioned before about how the team probably knew that the tyre wasn't going to come off even before Harvey got into the pits. If that was the case, then when didn't the crew change a different tyre, which would have avoided the penalty?
Old 25 Apr 2002, 19:51 (Ref:270672)   #32
Elaine
Rookie

Elaine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah the rules don't state which tyres need to be changed so they could have changed a front and a back
Old 26 Apr 2002, 12:51 (Ref:271155)   #33
beatlebum
Rookie

beatlebum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought on the Matt Neal penalty at Oulton, is it not the reponsibility of the starter to ensure everyone is lined up correctly on the grid before the race starts.
Old 26 Apr 2002, 13:10 (Ref:271171)   #34
Pip
Racer

Pip should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the wheel got stuck, they should have changed a different one... the team knows the rules, they should try to stick to them next time and perhaps then they won't get penalised!
Old 26 Apr 2002, 14:00 (Ref:271225)   #35
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
Well going back to the incident at Brands (Yes we've been told to drop it)

[*************** REMAINDER OF POST DELETE ****************
Redshoes]
Old 26 Apr 2002, 15:06 (Ref:271384)   #36
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree there should have been a penalty for Tim, but I though 25 secs was a bit harsh - he can't have gained that much time, if any at all!
Old 26 Apr 2002, 18:20 (Ref:271533)   #37
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
Quote:

[*************** REMAINDER OF POST DELETE ****************
Redshoes]
Why was the remainder of my post deleted? there was no bad language, I was just expressing a view, maybe in a slightly sarcastic way, but I saw no reason to delete that post

Last edited by OVERSTEER; 26 Apr 2002 at 18:23.
Old 26 Apr 2002, 19:46 (Ref:271585)   #38
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back onto Tim Harvey, at the end of the day, rules are rules and the team should have changed two wheels. It seems likely that if the team didn't have a rear wheel easily to hand when the front wheel jammed then they must have taken the decision that it was better to accept a penalty rather than wasting time getting another wheel sorted. Is 25 seconds a set standard penalty time or could it have been less or more?

Last edited by Carrie; 26 Apr 2002 at 19:48.
Old 26 Apr 2002, 20:23 (Ref:271626)   #39
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Why was the remainder of my post deleted?
Whilst I didn't see your original post and therefore cannot comment on the content of that post. I will say this. Neither myself or Redshoes will edit someone's post just for the sake of it. It is not an option that we will resort to lightly. I have confidence that Redshoes would have a very good reason for choosing to remove the remainder of your post.
Old 27 Apr 2002, 07:02 (Ref:271886)   #40
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie
...Is 25 seconds a set standard penalty time or could it have been less or more?
I believe that the penalty is not fixed, it depends on the advantage that could be gained. Think about it for a second, the tyres are up to heat and by changing only changing 1 tyre, you are in effect halving the disadvantage of cold tyres, thereby increasing the grip available until the 4th tyre comes upto temperature
Old 27 Apr 2002, 10:48 (Ref:271964)   #41
touring_car_fan
Rookie

touring_car_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the race officals are so keen to drill it into our heads that TH's penalty was fair because of the rules etc. why wasn't TC penalised?
Old 27 Apr 2002, 12:00 (Ref:271999)   #42
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Why was the remainder of my post deleted?
Quote:
I think you had already answered your own question.
Old 27 Apr 2002, 13:45 (Ref:272112)   #43
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by touring_car_fan
If the race officals are so keen to drill it into our heads that TH's penalty was fair because of the rules etc. why wasn't TC penalised?
Presumably because the officials who looked at the situation felt that it didn't warrant a penalty- it's a situation that's open to interpretation and judgement, because you can argue whether one driver pushed another off or whether it was deliberate, reckless or simply a racing incident.

TH's pitstop problem is a different situation- the rules say the team must change 2 wheels, and if they don't then the penalty is applied. You can't argue whether they did or not, so there's no judgement involved
Old 27 Apr 2002, 13:45 (Ref:272113)   #44
jase
Veteran

Tim Harvey's infringement would have happened under direct scrutiny by a Pit Observer, If a report is issued to the Clark of the Course it is upto him to act upon it.

Out on trackside it is possible to miss any incident, in the pits it is hard to miss them. So penalty's will be issued on the spot.

Last edited by jase; 27 Apr 2002 at 13:50.
Old 27 Apr 2002, 14:06 (Ref:272133)   #45
jase
Veteran

In addition to my previous post, if the fact that the 2 tyres haven't been changed, it will show up in post race scrutineering. In that case the Clark of the Course will more than likely speak to the driver and a member of the team and then will decide on what the penalty will be, if one applies.