Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 5 Oct 2016, 17:11 (Ref:3677572)   #1026
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariantic View Post
Infinity Race Engineering withdraw Adess from AsLMS

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/inf...revenir-en-gt/

car "like a rough diamond"

"customers are not ready to jump into a car that needed development"

Mariantic
Can't really blame them for not wanted to run an inferior car.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 21:21 (Ref:3677633)   #1027
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
ACO isn't happy with the 24 hour series allowing P3.

http://sportscar365.com/gt/24hseries...-proto-series/

It seems ACO wants a fee to be paid to them. I would understand that in a way, but can't anybody buy a P3 and run it where they want? There are cars running stateside in private hands and the ACO isn't complaining about that so really I don't see the difference.
I think I'm going to copy the "LMP3" *TM rules, delete the paragraph that limits the number of chassis makers and call this new rule set "SRP3". Creventic is more than welcome to use it.

The ACO is not helping the sport by doing things like this.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 23:41 (Ref:3677660)   #1028
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Depending on what trademarks/copyrights/patents they've filed, the ACO can feasibly block unapproved usage of any car that uses the LMP3 spec safety cell.

I do not know the specifics of what's been filed about what on the LMP3, so I'm not saying this IS the case, but I know it's legally possible for this to be the case.

Lack of complaints about the Ginetta G57, however, lead me to believe they only have true control over the specific rules as used in their version of the class and Creventic could get around it by doing something as simple as requiring a different engine.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 05:12 (Ref:3677740)   #1029
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
That's simple?
Old 6 Oct 2016, 05:35 (Ref:3677743)   #1030
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
That's simple?
In the big picture, yes. It's far simpler to change the engine than, say, design an entirely new body for the car.

True, changing the engine is not, in and of itself, simple. But insofar as things that could be done to move away from the ACO LMP3 specs sufficiently to not have any concerns about conflicts, it is by FAR the simplest option.

That said, ratehr than just use LMP3, I'd rather they made a class for unique cars built around the LMP3 safety cell, but running whatever engine/aero package the designers want. Allow LMP3s into the class if you want, but help make it stand out a bit more(particularly with LMP3 in real danger of being a de facto spec class).
Old 6 Oct 2016, 06:27 (Ref:3677749)   #1031
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
The whole point is to have one car that can easily be used in more than one series. So butchering the car won't really work and would also destroy the value of your car investment.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 06:41 (Ref:3677752)   #1032
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Giba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously worried about the success of the championship and how it will affect the ELMS grid numbers in the future as otherwise this seems to be a drastic step.

Does anyone know if SRO have a similar thing with GT3 or is it just they are happy for anyone to use them? (which seems the right idea imo)
Old 6 Oct 2016, 07:31 (Ref:3677761)   #1033
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I understand that the according to EUIPO's database that the ACO only filed for the trademark 'LMP3' on 29/9/2016.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 09:11 (Ref:3677779)   #1034
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
The whole point is to have one car that can easily be used in more than one series. So butchering the car won't really work and would also destroy the value of your car investment.
First of all, switching an engine to go from one series to another is not a big deal for any race team that's prepared to race in championships like 24H and ELMS. All you need is an engine that can be fitted without major modifications to the car itself - and as the LMP3 engine is non-stressed(sofar as I know - it's never been expressly stated, but as it's a very simple way to lower the cost of the car and engine I'm assuming such until information to the contrary surfaces), requiring at least a partial subframe to be fitted to any LMP3 design, that's not actually going to be a very difficult thing to do.

Secondly, not everyone is going to be concerned with switching from one championship to another anyway. In fact, I'd bet money less than half the teams interested in either would be concerned with crossing over.

The point is diversifying the 24H series to appeal to the widest possible variety of teams to ensure it's long-term health. If the ACO doesn't want to play ball with allowing them access to LMP3, they have to look at other options. What's the simplest option they can get away with? LMP3 with a different engine.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 6 Oct 2016 at 09:19.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 09:12 (Ref:3677781)   #1035
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
I understand that the according to EUIPO's database that the ACO only filed for the trademark 'LMP3' on 29/9/2016.
The name trademark wouldn't really be the issue here - that'd be as easy to get around as not using the name for the class.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 09:46 (Ref:3677786)   #1036
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
First of all, switching an engine to go from one series to another is not a big deal for any race team that's prepared to race in championships like 24H and ELMS.
I can just imagine a race engineer's response to that, by the time they have thought about weight distribution, changed the electronics and totally reprogrammed the gearbox!
Old 6 Oct 2016, 10:19 (Ref:3677791)   #1037
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
I can just imagine a race engineer's response to that, by the time they have thought about weight distribution, changed the electronics and totally reprogrammed the gearbox!

Old 6 Oct 2016, 14:24 (Ref:3677842)   #1038
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
Hmm, seems a little late for that ACO.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 14:52 (Ref:3677853)   #1039
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
In the big picture, yes. It's far simpler to change the engine than, say, design an entirely new body for the car.

True, changing the engine is not, in and of itself, simple. But insofar as things that could be done to move away from the ACO LMP3 specs sufficiently to not have any concerns about conflicts, it is by FAR the simplest option.

That said, ratehr than just use LMP3, I'd rather they made a class for unique cars built around the LMP3 safety cell, but running whatever engine/aero package the designers want. Allow LMP3s into the class if you want, but help make it stand out a bit more(particularly with LMP3 in real danger of being a de facto spec class).
What makes you think Creventic is looking at 'moving away' from the ACO? I don't know what happened in the build up to their announcement but apparently Creventic didn't make that somewhat important phone call to the ACO prior to it.

The far simplest solution for Creventic to solve this issue is to start talking to the ACO - I believe they fully intent on doing just that as soon as possible. Let's give 'm a little time to accomplish that. I'm sure they'll work out their differences (if there are any, sounds more like the classic "misunderstanding" to me) and all will be fine.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 19:41 (Ref:3677917)   #1040
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
What makes you think Creventic is looking at 'moving away' from the ACO?
Nothing - I'm not assuming they have any intention of doing so at all. This is a "what if" scenario should Creventic not be able to work things out.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 19:43 (Ref:3677918)   #1041
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
Point still stands: It's still simpler than the other options available to change the car sufficiently.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 22:10 (Ref:3677955)   #1042
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I can understand ACO owns the "LMP3" name but I find it hard to believe they can forbid an organizer to run a class for these cars or an owner to race these cars in a series.
Indeed!
Old 7 Oct 2016, 01:47 (Ref:3677997)   #1043
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Changing the engine is an issue of set up changes and possibly needing a new rear subframe if the dimensional and weight differences are big enough.

As I understand it, LMP3s use a non-stress mounted engine. Much like the older DP cars, most LMP2 cars, and the adapted new rules LMP2s that will become DPI cars. Though such a change presents its own difficulties, it's not like dealing with a fully stressed engine set up. Imagine doing such an engine change to an Audi R18. That'd involve taking a 3.7 or 4.0 V6 with a 120 degree cylinder bank angle and adapting it to take the 3.6 or 4.0 DFI V8 would involve a lot of detail re-engineering that if you're Audi Sport, you'd almost be better off to make a new tub.

Things on the whole are a lot less complex with a non-stress mounted motor. Granted, it still entails its own problems to get it right.
Old 7 Oct 2016, 14:13 (Ref:3678130)   #1044
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
US numbers keep growing:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/1...-dayvtech.html
Old 7 Oct 2016, 17:06 (Ref:3678174)   #1045
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
That is good to see. I hope we have a nice grid of cars for the opening PC rounds of 2017. Ligier is the safe bet, but I wonder if Norma will get a car to materialize stateside as planned. Also, how may will Riley/Ave sell?
Old 7 Oct 2016, 17:12 (Ref:3678176)   #1046
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At this point we are very perplexed with the LACK of news coming from thr Riely / Ave camp in reguards to the LMP-3 Deal
Old 7 Oct 2016, 19:09 (Ref:3678214)   #1047
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
At this point we are very perplexed with the LACK of news coming from thr Riely / Ave camp in reguards to the LMP-3 Deal
At this rate, P3 is going to become a de facto spec class.
Old 7 Oct 2016, 19:54 (Ref:3678224)   #1048
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
Quote:
At this rate, P3 is going to become a de facto spec class.
As of mid-September they had sold 6 chassis.

Quote:
Ave said he’s already sold six cars, with the first completed chassis, which took part in a multi-day test at the Red Bull Ring in July, on display in the paddock at Circuit of The Americas this weekend.
Of course there is no word on what those 6 chassis will be used for. Imsa? track days? other?
Old 7 Oct 2016, 21:02 (Ref:3678239)   #1049
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post

And yet they have still not debuted because, according to Riley, the car needs more development. And even if they do, if the cars are complete junk it won't be long before the teams that bought them replace them.
Old 7 Oct 2016, 21:09 (Ref:3678240)   #1050
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
[/URL]

And yet they have still not debuted because, according to Riley, the car needs more development. And even if they do, if the cars are complete junk it won't be long before the teams that bought them replace them.
It's not junk - there is only one reason why the car hasn't raced - they can find more speed (lessons learned in the Riley-Multimatic LMP2 design process) - and with a 4 year homologation lock-down it makes perfect sense to have the fastest car you can.