Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Sep 2003, 01:07 (Ref:730308)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Massa & Ferrari

I continue to read (only on forums and less reputable web sites) that Massa is being prepared as Michaels replacement at Ferrari.

Where on Earth does this come from?

Massa arrived on the scene with all the promise and fanfair that Pizzonia did. While his pace was pretty good, he had many many shortcomings. So many in fact, he could'nt get a drive in 2003.

Somehow he's going from those results to the most likely cantidate to replace a 5 (maybe 6) times WDC? Is this a joke?

When Michael goes, Ferrari will have alot of left over cash to play with. Why would they gamble on Massa with drivers like Kimi & Montoya out there? And if they cant get them, why would'nt they grab Alonso or Webber instead?

Maybe I missed some sort of wonderful result from the guy (and testing does'nt count) but this (if true) would be the dumbest thing Ferrari have done since Austria 2002.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 01:31 (Ref:730326)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My sentiments exactly.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 01:34 (Ref:730330)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, if Ferrari want to race an average young-gun, it's fine by me
Old 26 Sep 2003, 01:59 (Ref:730348)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree that Massa is still a big silly risk to be a Ferrari driver.

He had shown little in his first year. Although his pace and work rate are favourable in the Ferrari test camp, i really don't think he is prepared for the top spot. Ferrari does bring him to various races to watch Rubens/Michael in action for Massa to learn. The best route will be to send Massa to Sauber and evaluate him for one year.

On the other hand...When Michael does indeed retire (2004 perhaps?), hopefully Alonso will be pulled in.. And how about Montoya too?

Alonso/Montoya...hmm..looks pretty good.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 05:58 (Ref:730435)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Why not take the gamble on Massa? After all, if he's not up to scratch, they can always replace him, however, if he is, they have a future star all contracted up.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 06:55 (Ref:730474)   #6
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My impression (Fueled mainly by Martin Brundle)was that Massa showed the same promise as Kimi in the lower formulae but unlike Kimi needed a little time to mature before he was ready fo F1. So I tend to agree with MR V he's had a years testing so stick him in a Sauber for a season and see what progress he's made. People tend to forget that he wasn't very old when he entered F1 and not everybody can be like Kimi
Old 26 Sep 2003, 09:38 (Ref:730576)   #7
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no particular bias one way or another, but Massa does have some style. His cornering is very distinctive. I know Pizzonia has underperformed and been poorly treated but Massa has enormous potential. Like Sato.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 10:01 (Ref:730590)   #8
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Massa is a risk .. and that way they are putting him alongside one great driver . Fisichella ...

Ciao Marco
Old 26 Sep 2003, 10:02 (Ref:730591)   #9
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no doubt whatsoever that Massa is a one-off. His car control, in my opinion, is the best in F1. He is a freak. He can enter any corner in anyway and be quick. He is a Peterson or Rindt or a Villeneuve,G. But that is only half of it. He needs to develop the part that makes one become a World Champion. The mental side of things. That is what separates M.Schumacher from the rest. Ferrari are reckoning they can instill that side into Massa in order to unleash another freak upon F1. What other driver to learn from than Mr Schumacher Sr. himself?

Just my opinion...

I hope they pull it off because he is a very enjoyable driver to watch.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 10:07 (Ref:730594)   #10
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
agree david .. he was a freak even in touring cars ... and for sure . i want him at Ferrari ....

Last edited by Dani Filth; 26 Sep 2003 at 10:08.

Ciao Marco
Old 26 Sep 2003, 10:13 (Ref:730599)   #11
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
It is a risk though, and putting him alongside Fisi would be very smart. Fisi WILL deliver. Please listen to us Ferrari people!
Old 26 Sep 2003, 11:15 (Ref:730629)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Massa does have some style and potential, but at this stage, he hasn't quite blossomed. Another year at Sauber could be the answer, but it's depressing me the way Sauber are being ruled by Ferrari.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 11:18 (Ref:730630)   #13
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
lol .. Sauber want them to do that .. probably

Ciao Marco
Old 26 Sep 2003, 11:29 (Ref:730641)   #14
Joe Machado
Rookie

Joe Machado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Massa does have some style and potential, but at this stage, he hasn't quite blossomed. Another year at Sauber could be the answer, but it's depressing me the way Sauber are being ruled by Ferrari.
When you pay $25 million for your engines you probably look for ways to reducing the engine bills. They have Massa for 2004 paid by Ferrari and get a break on the engine front. Massa should have improved considerably and if he is paired with Fisichella the competition between them will be hot. If he outdrives Fisi we will know Ferrari has the right guy.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 11:30 (Ref:730643)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Massa & Ferrari

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
I continue to read (only on forums and less reputable web sites) that Massa is being prepared as Michaels replacement at Ferrari.

Where on Earth does this come from?

Massa arrived on the scene with all the promise and fanfair that Pizzonia did. While his pace was pretty good, he had many many shortcomings. So many in fact, he could'nt get a drive in 2003.

Somehow he's going from those results to the most likely cantidate to replace a 5 (maybe 6) times WDC? Is this a joke?

When Michael goes, Ferrari will have alot of left over cash to play with. Why would they gamble on Massa with drivers like Kimi & Montoya out there? And if they cant get them, why would'nt they grab Alonso or Webber instead?

Maybe I missed some sort of wonderful result from the guy (and testing does'nt count) but this (if true) would be the dumbest thing Ferrari have done since Austria 2002.

Wrex, from what I have known here, Felipe Massa is a protegeé of Jean Todt. To be true, it seems that he's managing his career. Certainly that's the feed for all these rumours. But up to now, Massa denies anything about that, even to replace Rubens in 2005, which is the most likely.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 11:43 (Ref:730658)   #16
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but didn't he get fired by Sauber?
Old 26 Sep 2003, 11:45 (Ref:730663)   #17
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
Yeah, but didn't he get fired by Sauber?
I think they offered him a testing job rather than the racers job.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 11:55 (Ref:730678)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Exactly. And then Ferrari got him.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 12:21 (Ref:730712)   #19
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Oh OK. What is it about him that makes Ferrari want to hire him?
Old 26 Sep 2003, 12:25 (Ref:730718)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Maybe they know something that we don't...
Old 26 Sep 2003, 12:33 (Ref:730725)   #21
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Yeah that's what I was thinking. They must see something in him that makes them want to train him to be the next Schumacher.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 12:52 (Ref:730747)   #22
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
They know more than us!
Old 26 Sep 2003, 14:14 (Ref:730821)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
Oh OK. What is it about him that makes Ferrari want to hire him?
Maybe they don't want to lose one of the stars of the future, the way they lost Kimi. All the "experts" were saying that Kimi would be the driver to lead Ferrari forward once Michael retires, and what Happens? Ron comes along and snaps him up

Last edited by Mr V; 26 Sep 2003 at 14:14.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 14:24 (Ref:730830)   #24
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
When Massa came on the F1 roster with Sauber my F1 informer said a few things about Massa that stayed true IME "Massa is so quick the back of the car leaves the corner before the front " this is of course is when Mark was at Minadri
he went on "Mark will do alright unless Massa takes him out "
I feel Ferrari have a big lull coming on and it could have alot to do with its future drivers Fissi included
Old 26 Sep 2003, 14:29 (Ref:730835)   #25
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, Massa is risky, but if you remember, at about Germany, he was tying with Heidfeld on points, and had to concede a position to his teammate at that race, and subsequently, Heidfeld was in front of Massa afterwards.

Why not bring in Alonso, Webber, or other people. Kimi seems too settled at McLaren, and Montoya will be sorted out by then.