Old 11 Jun 2006, 21:52 (Ref:1631952)   #1
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back from the BGP

Just back from a hot BGP.
Only my second and the first one was 2001, so good to be back there.
Copse Inside with the illustrious Mr Green (see image) who worked tirelesly all day, every day.
Seriously though, had a good time. Thanks Steve and all the other guys on post with me.

Most interesting point: nearly being ran over by Ralf Schumacher in practice having pushed Albers WD up the Pit Lane and then started walking back out but no-one thought to stop others coming out until we were clear!
I swear, the 4 of us were 50cm away from him, and he had the pedal to the carbon fibre... he did not slow down! A little scary!

Old 12 Jun 2006, 06:40 (Ref:1632123)   #2
steviec
Rookie

United Kingdom
Southampton, UK
steviec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a good weekend overall, made some new friends, had to push a gp2 car of the grid and got on telly whilst standing behind Michael Schumacher.

Here is one of the photos I got this weekend, Smeggy relaxing after a busy hot day on track.

Old 12 Jun 2006, 06:58 (Ref:1632128)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Ahhh Gary, one of me "relaxing" between sessions

I'm glad you enjoyed the weekend and hope to see you back again next year.

I would like to say a big thanks to all my team at Copse Inside for their help over the weekend, and also to all the Silverstone guys and girls for making us all welcome once again.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 07:06 (Ref:1632134)   #4
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that was my best GP weekend ever, not because of the F1 race (yawn), but the post, the team, the campsite pitch, the weather, the atmosphere, that GP2 manouvre, etc etc etc..., and then getting moved up for assisting repeat startline flag for the F1 race topped it off.

Thanks to the team at Copse In, and Copse Inside/Pit Exit for their help with the pit box, we'll get it better next year (I hope), but the chiefs were happy in the end.

Al.
Flag P2
Old 12 Jun 2006, 07:16 (Ref:1632143)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Good to meet you Alan, even if it was in a busy pit lane!

I think we should all say a big thank you for the campsite facilities. There was a team on hand 24 hours a day to keep the toilets and showers clean and tidy and the lady in the shop was extremely helpful.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1632259)   #6
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep just got back myself. Had a great weekend, even visited by Ralf and Mark at Becketts out on Sunday afternoon (reckon Mark liked the Scottish 'wig' so much).
Great team, lots of banter and joking, but very professional when needed. Well done to you all!
Camp site atmosphere great as expected, met up with lots of old friends and lots of beer consumed. Brilliant.
Now got to wait a fortnight fo the MGCC meeting for some more!
Old 12 Jun 2006, 11:03 (Ref:1632342)   #7
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me too - that was my first GP as a marshal and loved every minute of it. The campsite was first class, well maintained and all the security staff were pleasent and helpful. I know a lot of people don't like the constant waiting around but on 3 very hot days i found the extra breaks helpful to grab some shade, drink and rest a bit.

I was a little confused as to why we only got water delivered on the Sunday and not the other days, but it was nice to be thought of. Also found the vendors amazingly nice and giving discounts to marshals, so thanks to them too.

Had a great laugh on Farm / Abbey (why we were asked to do all that gravel trap i will never know) and was pleased i could take a few snaps as the driver parade came past. It's defo on my list for next year, as long as someone can order the weather to be low 20's and sunny rather than high 20's. I felt like i'd been shrink wrapped in my probans by the end of Sunday!

The Team @ Farm:

Kimi & JPM:

Jacques & Nick (with driver laffing his backside off at the following pic...):

Some people...!
Old 12 Jun 2006, 11:39 (Ref:1632366)   #8
Steve and Gruff
Rookie

England
North Cheshire
Steve and Gruff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many Thanks to all at Copse Inside Steve, Gary, Lisa, Peter and Oulton regulars Andy and Gordon for the banter, and making my first GP one to remember.

Not sure when I will do the next as I prefere the smaller club meetings, IMHO you cannot beat an Anglesey weekend when the weathers kind.

As Steve said, many thanks to everyone involved in arranging and running the marshal facilities, they were much better than I was expecting.

All i need now is a couple of nights of undisturbed sleep to get back to normal.

Cheers, Steve
Old 12 Jun 2006, 11:53 (Ref:1632376)   #9
Kitten Kat
Rookie

Kitten Kat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back from my first British GP, and I loved it! I will be back again next year - hopefully! Would like to thank the team on pedistrian bridge, and everyone for a great weekend.

Lots of highlights from the weekend, including getting my hands on a GP2 car on Sunday when he failed on the start even if he did decide to bump it without telling us - could have had four marshals flat on their faces! Doing fire cover on the grid for the F1 boys and being able to look at DC The band on the Saturday night in the campsite. But most of all the people I was with on post and drinking with in the evenings. A really brillaint weekend

Thanks to everyone for making my first British GP, one of the best experiences of my life I hope to see everyone again next year!
Old 12 Jun 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1632687)   #10
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I had a fantastic weekend, The guys on Stowe were all a good bunch and had a good laugh. Evenings were typical GP meet evenings, with beer BBQ and lots of Fireworks and some more beer (IMHO not the brightest idea when surrounded by lots of nylon tents). My Guests had a fantastic time both F1 Virgins now asking for all the tickets Dee and I can get. Working on getting them the other side of the fence now.

And England won......... doesn't get much better than that.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 21:20 (Ref:1632943)   #11
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Kat
Back from my first British GP, and I loved it! I will be back again next year - hopefully! Would like to thank the team on pedistrian bridge, and everyone for a great weekend.

Lots of highlights from the weekend, including getting my hands on a GP2 car on Sunday when he failed on the start even if he did decide to bump it without telling us - could have had four marshals flat on their faces! Doing fire cover on the grid for the F1 boys and being able to look at DC The band on the Saturday night in the campsite. But most of all the people I was with on post and drinking with in the evenings. A really brillaint weekend

Thanks to everyone for making my first British GP, one of the best experiences of my life I hope to see everyone again next year!
Glad you enjoyed your first experience...I tried to be gentle. Seriously, thanks for helping to make it an excellent GP and hope to see you next year
Old 12 Jun 2006, 21:45 (Ref:1632968)   #12
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccooke
And England won......... doesn't get much better than that.
without scoring a goal

Shame they had to show it on the circuit screens though, we all missed a cracking GP2 race, never mind Sunday's made up for it (and the fact that the actual GP was as boring as ****)

p.s. plus I got on the 'telly'

But don't care.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1633025)   #13
the bassman
Rookie

the bassman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Kat

Hi Kitten Kat, Glad to here that you enjoyed the weekend. I'm especially pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Band as i was playing Bass at my first Marshals party. the rest of the guys had played at the GP before and said that you were a good crowd. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole day on saturday and was a bit upset that I couldn't get tickets for the race even though they were still being advertised on the TV on friday. Oh well, Maybe see you next year. The Bassman

Last edited by the bassman; 12 Jun 2006 at 22:46.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 22:43 (Ref:1633027)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Well Mr Bassman, thank you for entertaining us and I hope you will stick around ten-tenths and enjoy the friendly banter that goes on here (well most of the time anyhow)
Old 12 Jun 2006, 22:51 (Ref:1633033)   #15
the bassman
Rookie

the bassman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was an honour and a privilege, I'm looking forward to coming back next year although it will be minus a keyboard player as he's gone off to Marry his multi-millionaire french girlfriend and will be residing in France from now on.
ce la vie.
may take a good long look at what is involved in becoming a marshal.

Cheers, the Bassman
Old 12 Jun 2006, 22:55 (Ref:1633035)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Well if you need any help with info please drop me a note, or ask any of the guys and gals here, all of which will be glad to help.

Once again a very warm (literally) welcome
Old 12 Jun 2006, 23:04 (Ref:1633037)   #17
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Must say there seems to be a strong resemblance between the two first photos except smeggy stays awake longer? They seems to have been no other attractions at the pit lane exit to keep Stephen awake.
It was good to meet you smeggy and all the other marshals, old friends and new friends throughout the weekend. Must say the racing could have been more interesting but the company and the fellowship on the post and camp site was excellent. Certainly not to be missed unless you are to old to appreciate good friends a glass of wine and a bottle of good brew. I also appreciated the hot showers night and morning and clean toilets.
All the security and spectator marshals were helpful and cheerful.
There were some downside like having to climb up and down the tyre wall at Copse Exit and the inspections that seem to be from another age. Are they all really necssary? However if that the price we pay for a weekend with friends well Ok. So I hope to see many of you back at Silverstone for the MG meeting with some good racing this time and no inspections.
PS Who was collecting the car park fees at Copse?
Old 13 Jun 2006, 09:12 (Ref:1633258)   #18
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock
.....Certainly not to be missed unless you are to old to appreciate good friends a glass of wine and a bottle of good brew. .......
Les, why only friends in the plural. I know full well it was certainly a lot more than aglass of wine and a bottle of good brew. I had to get another tanker in!!
Old 13 Jun 2006, 09:26 (Ref:1633270)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Few attractions at the pit lane exit apart from the occasional walkabout
Old 13 Jun 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1633375)   #20
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed Steve, Nothing much major but a few pull offs to push, and an unsuccesful Hit-n-run!!
Great post though, would love to do that one again.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 11:35 (Ref:1633380)   #21
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Clive Thankyou for moving your pitch on campsite it made room for me. as my mate's tent was alot bigger than we thought. ok no room to park car but hey minor worry.
Did have the beers in but did not drink alot shame,, but had a nice meal in buckingham
And i got moved from Beckets to Brooklands.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 11:53 (Ref:1633407)   #22
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
Clive Thankyou for moving your pitch on campsite it made room for me. as my mate's tent was alot bigger than we thought. ok no room to park car but hey minor worry.
Did have the beers in but did not drink alot shame,, but had a nice meal in buckingham
And i got moved from Beckets to Brooklands.
Yeah, no probs, even though it was noted you kept your beers to yourself! Sorry to read your mate's is bigger than yours.

And, by moving from Becketts Out you missed out on Ralf and Mark joining us.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1633720)   #23
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you suggesting only one friend? and that you have run out of booze or have you locked it away and lost the key? You will no doubt stock up at the marshals Barbecue at the MG International?
Old 14 Jun 2006, 06:32 (Ref:1634022)   #24
petermaxworthy
Rookie

England
Grimsby
petermaxworthy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Just like to say a big thankyou to all on the copse inside.What a team.We had a near miss with a hit and run .Never thought i would come that close to a Toyota.
I have cooled down now and back to work .A big thankyou To Jean for cooking the BBQ and preparing all the food everyday for all the Cadwell crew we
will have to do it all again some time how about the 750 meeting!
Old 14 Jun 2006, 16:39 (Ref:1634434)   #25
cowchap
Racer

England
sussex
cowchap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just to say it was my first Gp and i enjoyed every minute of it,had nothing to do all weekend but enjoy the action from abbey,if JB had'nt expired i reckon we'd all be talking about what a great race it was.