Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 12 Dec 1999, 00:57 (Ref:2959)   #1
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

So tell me, do you think it is a good idea??
For those of you who do not know what it is, it is a championship for "Proper" racing sports cars. It is a championship that allows all the refugees from other race series to get together and race. Not unlike the Castle Combe special Gt championship.
The difference is the 30 minute race format, this is good value when the entry fee is £190. £215 at Brands, not sure why.
So do you think this championship is a good idea, I mean, other series with the "refugee" format, for example the Super Coupe cup, seem to be going from strength to strength. Will the sportscars be as succsessful?
Old 12 Dec 1999, 16:44 (Ref:2960)   #2
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lee,

Where d'ya find out all that? Tell me more... sounds like my cup of tea

I think I heard something in Autosport about... ooh ... 3 months ago, but I can't remember the details - for shame...

Super Coupés? Would Peter Studer be the double champ of that?
Old 13 Dec 1999, 10:30 (Ref:2961)   #3
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Well the series has been going for about a yeay, with some succsess but limited cars on the grid. The numbers were always poor, no way near as good as the Castle Combe series
Any way, there was an article in this months Cars and Car Conversions, that is where I got most of the info, but I was interested in it mainly because I recognise some of the front runners. John Barnard, ring a bell? And Geremy Thomas, yes it is spelt with a G. They both race at Combe.
Super Coupés? Would Peter Studer be the double champ of that?

I believe that this is true, in a VW POLO if my memory serves me..... I like this whole idea of getting cars from defunct series together. The VW Ventro and Rover Tomcat series is the same. There are many about, check out the official site of the super coupe cup. I cannot remember the address, it is a long while since I have been there and I have not book marked it
Old 13 Dec 1999, 19:49 (Ref:2962)   #4
Graham
Veteran

As mentioned in email, P.Studer is interested in a website. Yup, it was a VW Polo. Wouldn't bother with the Super Coupe website (supercoupe.com) - he says it is rarely, if ever, updated. I'm trying to get him to toddle over here to have a natter on the forums...

Yes, those two ring a bell - Geremy the Radical driver, but can't remember what John drives.

Did you ever watch the Ventos in their own champ? Coooooool... So were the Rover Turbos and GTis.
Old 13 Dec 1999, 21:06 (Ref:2963)   #5
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
John races a LM3000, they used to be called the Pro sport 3000, and I think, well more of an assumption, that johns car used to belong to Bob Light.
If you or any one else knows any better i would be pleased to know.
I have only ever seen the Ventros with the tom cats.
Old 18 Dec 1999, 01:35 (Ref:2964)   #6
Graham
Veteran

Lee,

Ta for reminding me. I remember the Pro Sports all right - V6 or flat 6?

The series used to be pretty good, but I remember a few dull races. Usually it had to be wet to make it boring.

Sounded pretty cool. I've some pics of them on my site (I think).

Something else : for ages I thought that the Ultima driven in the Special GTs (white with double orange stripe) was an uprated Pro Sport - looked so similar. Sounded completely different.

Driven much differently as well - you'd have William Hewland in his Prosport on rails around Quarry, then you'd get whoever driving the Ultima nicely sideways.

Didn't the Prosports (near the end) join the Special GTs because they lacked of numbers for their own race?

Pity the Prosports disappeared - good spectacle when they had the numbers. I suppose it was just too expensive to run them at Combe only. £60,000 a year Hewland said to the commentator (David Addison I think).

[This message has been edited by Graham (edited 18 December 1999).]
Old 19 Dec 1999, 18:04 (Ref:2965)   #7
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Sorry about the late reply, I have been snowed down with work and stuff.
Ok, I think it is a v6, no I am sure it is, if any one out there knows any different let us know here. If any one drives one, even better, tell us all about it, I know i would be interested and I am sue Graham would, as would many others.
The running costs are huge, the guy, John Barnard, who races in the open sports cars championship is spending over a grand a race, this includes prep work by the pros.
To much for many people i would guess, and not practical for the combe championship, although I would love to know Bob Lights running costs.
Graham, did you find the pic? And the ultima is a totally diferent car, I hope
Old 19 Dec 1999, 20:18 (Ref:2966)   #8
Graham
Veteran

Lee Dude,

Don't suppose you know what the difference between the Prosport 3000 and LM3000 is? Basically the same car I think, but maybe a different engine...?

And were the Prosports 'turboed'. I can't remember any hiss, but I may have been standing in the wrong place. e.g. didn't know Lionel Abbotts Saab had a turbo until I stood at Copse one time.

~~~
Pics? What the Prosports?

Sorry they're not great quality- took them a long time ago (about 1994) when I had a knackered old Russian camera with a dodgy lens.

Hope they show everyone what great-looking cars they are (and what we're going on about).
Old 19 Dec 1999, 22:44 (Ref:2967)   #9
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Great pics mate
No, I really do think that they are different cars, i will try and find out from some reliable sources, not just some 18 year old who hopes he knows what he is talking about (me )
The Lm 3000, pro sport, has a 24 valve, fuel injected, v6 pushing out about 320 bhp.
Nice
Old 19 Dec 1999, 23:47 (Ref:2968)   #10
Graham
Veteran

Different cars? You sure? Look the same...

Made by the same company, I'm pretty sure of that.

Where'd you find them details? Is there a manufacturer site (do tell), or did you look in an old programme? Latter option not open to me - most of mine are (somewhere) in the attic awaiting the attentions of time and a database.

Cheers lad.
Old 20 Dec 1999, 11:09 (Ref:2969)   #11
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
I Am looking for an official site mate.
All the info is from Cars and Car Conversions magazine. I will not pretend to be a genius.
Still not sure about them being the same
Old 21 Dec 1999, 19:51 (Ref:2970)   #12
Graham
Veteran

I had a damn good look when I first set up my site - I could find nowt.

I haven't turned up anything in the intervening months during my weekly trawls around the 'Net.

So maybe, just maybe, Prosport don't have a site

Keep looking!
Old 3 Feb 2000, 08:39 (Ref:2971)   #13
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this query was ages ago... but just to clear it up!!

A Prosport is exactly the same as an LM3000.
Prosport (the company) went under a few years ago, and the series was saved by the drivers (and then renamed).
Don't think any were ever tubrochraged, but Prosport did produce a kit so that the car could be taken to Le Mans!! That was 1994 but there were no takers.