Old 15 Nov 2013, 12:14 (Ref:3331710)   #26
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNotSoHidden View Post
Thanks Luiggi!

Also...exams sure take up one's time,don't they? Anyway,with my exams out of the way for now,I can unleash my latest experiment!

This one is based off a real-life event: Forumla E. The new all-electric racing series are hosting every single one of its races on temporary and street circuits. Funny thing is,they have already announced their destinations for their inaugural season,yet there are no plans on the layout of the circuits,save for Monaco,obviously. Locations have already been decided for the rounds in London,Hong Kong and Berlin as far as I know,yet the circuits themselves for those rounds and other races have yet to even get a rough layout identified.

This is where I step in. My next batch of tracks will focus on how each track in each destination of Formula E should be laid out,to help track designers overcome their challenges of having to produce nine temporary circuits. And I start the challenge here:

This is the Formula E Round of Berlin. As mentioned previously,the place for the track was already decided,that being the empty apron of Templehof Airport by the old terminal. However,as no track layout was announced,I guessed I would take the initiative.

The 2.61 mile,counter-clockwise track begins with a right-left "extended chicane",as I like to call it. A short blast leads into another similar chicane,turns 3 and 4,though this time left-right. Turn 5 is a slow,long left hairpin that ends sector 1 and leads cars onto the backstraight.

Turn 6 is the showpiece of the circuit,a fast right sweeper that drivers need to control into braking into the tight left,turn 7.This leads into a tight sequence,8 and 9,before opening up into a straight of decent length.Turn 10 is an increasing radius turn that presents an opportunity to pass,before the double-apex turns 11 and 12 curve right to form a little "arena" section. This leads into the final corner sequence,a right flick into a slow,long left that slingshots cars onto the pit straight.

Comments,criticisms and revisions are welcome.
Nice flowing track, a beauty.

I have problems with T6, though. It's a 5th gear sweeper where you can get 150mph and the other part of the track is kind of close in the way of any stray bike or car that gets off course. The rest of the track looks fine and interesting.
Old 29 Dec 2014, 14:07 (Ref:3488432)   #27
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

TheNotSoHidden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I'm back, having not posted in over a year. Partially due to real life and partially due to new Google Maps not being the best thing out there.

Nevermind that, here's a track I entered into a competition somewhere else on the web, thought I would share it here.

The track in question is Buangkok Raceway. And no, it's not in Thailand, but it's in Singapore.

It's 2015, and the Singapore Grand Prix has not gone well. At all. After the lavish SG50 celebrations held in the Marina Bay area just the previous month, there was little time to prepare, and the track was in a shambles, barely in a condition to host a race. So, to put it simply, the FIA has given an ultimatum to Singapore: Get a permanent facility ready, or we cancel your Grand Prix.

As a result, Singapore has turned to an open piece of land at Buangkok, and has enlisted the long-lost Arabic cousin of Herman Tilke , Eklit Namreh to design the track. Unfortunately for Namreh, he couldn't design an F1 grade facility in the plot of land bound by two expressways, a major road and a river. That was until he saw other pieces of modern engineering in Singapore. The KPE. The MCE. The MRT. They all had tunnels. So why can't his motorsports facility have one?

And so, tunnelling under the TPE, this 6.4 km, counter-clockwise circuit is scary to drive on, being a fast and furious track compared to Namreh's cousin's works.

--TRACK DESCRIPTION--

The track starts with a short blast through turn 1, a long, long left hander that never ends. Turn 2 sets you up for an almost-as-long turn 3 that climbs as up as well. Turn 4, dips into turn 5, which is also a dipper of a turn in order to allow the track to dive under the first tunnel. The short circuit cuts out here, with turn 5 being a ducker-and-riser long left, before a short technical section spits you out on the back straight. But we're focusing on the main circuit here.

Turn 6 is a highlight. Slightly banked, double-apex hairpin that comes right after the first long tunnel straight, providing an overtaking opportunity right away. A short essex section follows to catch drivers out where they should take the racing line, before turn 9 leads onto a short straight. Turns 10, 11 and 12 are mean: A fast series of esses, especially as cars can run side by side through here, and a minor bump at 12 to accommodate a small bridge over a canal can throw cars off easily. The bump returns at the exit of turn 13, which can ruin one's run through the scary fast 14 and down the back straight.

The national circuit goes straight on at the next turn to create a tight hairpin for overtaking, but turns 15-16 on the main track is a similarly tight chicane to allow for some good overtaking and battles to occur before the second tunnel. Turn 17 bears some similarities to Istanbul's turn 11, just with a less dramatic rise, before turn 18 provides the final overtaking opportunity of the lap. Turn 19 is all that's left before you complete the 6.4km Buangkok Raceway.

Of course, comes with grandstands and parking lots, that you can remove in a layer to view the track with minor obstruction and distractions. Again, comments, criticisms and revisions are welcome.