Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 9 Aug 2014, 11:26 (Ref:3442698)   #1
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track design challenge: Prepare Brainerd for IndyCar

For quite a few years now, the Verizon IndyCar Series' Iowa Corn Indy has been a success story. This event, located in rural Newton, Iowa, has regularly filled the seats of the circuit, like no other oval with the exception of Indianapolis itself has managed to do: the locals have embraced the event.

Looking to add further successful events to the calendar, IndyCar's president of competition and Hulman & Co.'s CEO have agreed that not only big metropolitan areas should be targeted as new locations for races, but rural ones as well, because of Iowa's success. Brainerd is located roughly 120 miles away from Minneapolis and St. Paul so advertising the race there could bring over some people to watch, too.

And what could be better than to return to a place with history that fits the description?
The Donnybrooke road course of Brainerd International Speedway, located in Brainerd, Minnesota, has been a part of the USAC Champ Car Series for a few times back in the 1960s when the series first tried out running on road courses. Hoping the locals will embrace the event much like it's been happening at Newton, Iowa, one of the things that has thus far prevented it from happening is that the circuit needs refurbishing.
This is now the challenge for you, my fellow track designers!

Please re-design the Donnybrooke Road Course so it is safe enough and has enough spectator facilities to accomodate a race of the Verizon IndyCar Series.

If you'd like to take part in this challenge, one of the areas that needs your special attention is the location of the bridge that's crossing over the track into the infield. Most likely, it will have to be moved to some other place around the track - or replaced by a tunnel, or the track would have to be altered in its proximity. Also, the drag strip must remain operationable.

Let me thank you for your interest and participation in this challenge.
I'm very much looking forward to what you are going to come up with.
Happy designing!
Attached Thumbnails
FacilityMap13.jpg   BIRGeneralMap.gif   BIRShortMap.jpg  

09RoadCourseMap.jpg  
Old 9 Aug 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3442867)   #2
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Brainerd has some unique situations. The drag strip and the international circuit can operate at the same time at present so do they want that situation to remain or can it be circumvented.

There has been a tighter turn put in place before the bridge and that turn could be used, which would allow a straight run under the bridge, but it doesn't have a lot of run off available.
You could use the 2.5 mile circuit but the pit straight is inadequate (short) for starting and the pit are not well situated regarding the turn beforehand so that's not a plus. If you lengthen the pit straight you will need another bridge for infield access for that circuit. If you modify the long circuit you will still need to circumvent the drag strip.
How big is your budget? Or is it unlimited?
Old 10 Aug 2014, 01:16 (Ref:3442912)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have an idea for a 3.5 mile circuit that keeps the Drag strip intact but couldn't be used at the same time, with a shorter circuit that could be used.

It would depend on how much they wanted to change the Brainerd we currently know.
Old 10 Aug 2014, 18:11 (Ref:3443130)   #4
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This turned into more of a complete renovation rather than a simple upgrade. A new start/finish straight was made next to the shared paddock with the track going in the opposite direction to the original circuits. The track then leaves the original Donnybrooke track and joins the Competition course. This was done to allow more space for spectators and to create a safer track. The track can then go onto the 1.66mi Short circuit or go onto a new loop for the 3.75mi Full circuit. This was created to allow for a longer lap and to provide more overtaking opportunities. The track then rejoins the Donnybrooke circuit. The track is then diverted off the drag strip through a series of esses to slow the cars down. The track then runs adjacent to the drag strip towards the final turn. The last turn features more tarmac run off than the rest of the track so that it can be used as a set up area for the drag strip. However this does mean that the drag strip cannot be used when there is racing on the track.

Full 3.75mi Short 1.66mi Both circuits Anti-clockwise Red areas are Grandstands, Light Green are Spectator Banks
Attached Thumbnails
Brainerd1.jpg   Brainerd2.jpg   Brainerd3.jpg  

Old 10 Aug 2014, 18:56 (Ref:3443169)   #5
Yannick
Veteran

This challenge is merely fan fiction, I'm afraid, so theoretically, you designers can take the place in each and every direction you want to. Yet, I'd say it would be nice if the resulting design comes at low cost so this thread might become something that actually inspires the Verizon IndyCar Series to go to this location: A cheap solution is welcome for sure.

There are a few interesting videos of sports cars going around the Donnybrooke road course as it looks like today. I guess it would be OK for the drag strip and the to be designed circuit not to be simultaneously operational so that maybe the wall of the drag strip could become the pit wall.

I hope my answers are of any help to you with your designs, guys.

@Speeding Tortoise: You have made quite a big effort with your design. It looks stunning. Your solution of switching the racing direction around to accomodate the bridge problem is cool and saves a large portion of the budget to the other, more expensive changes your design includes. However, your plans of the infield section might be too much on the expensive side of things anyway for IndyCar's current business model. I like how you have made good use of the Competition Road Course loop but some of your S-curves might feel too much like chicanes. Yet, your design is quite racy, and I like that. Thank you for your contribution.
Old 11 Aug 2014, 00:42 (Ref:3443339)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My new Donnybrooke layout is 3.127 miles long it runs anti/counterclockwise and now shares a common main paddock area with my new look 2.649 mile International circuit which also run anti/counter clockwise.

For big race meetings, the main paddock can accommodate 2 feature series, to the North West corner there is a formalised secondary tarmac surfaced paddock area, suitable for lower level open wheeler and sportscars to use. When the full circuit is not in use, it also continues to service the drag strip as it currently does.

When the International circuit is being used the main paddock is sufficient for all categories.

Both circuit infringe on the Drag strip run out area, so both couldn't be used at the same time, however the design is intended that the circuit format can be adjusted by the movement of just wall sections.

The Paddock area as mentioned is shared with the main pitlane having 300m of Concrete strip for pit stops, whilst the International has a 280m concrete strip.
The Pit entry is on the outside of the final corner when using the International circuit, but when using the Donnybrooke layout, part of the final corner of the international circuit becomes the pitlane, with cones marking the entrance leading into to a right turn taking cars down onto the pitlane.

I have added additional bridges over the track to allow access and new RV campsites for example in the area South of the new circuit but inside where the current circuit goes. Alternatively this could be the new site for the karting circuit which has been sacrificed.
Attached Thumbnails
Brainerd Full Top View.jpg   Brainerd Donnybrooke top.jpg   Brainerd International Top View.jpg  

Brainerd pit complex.jpg  
Old 11 Aug 2014, 22:33 (Ref:3443572)   #7
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both of these designs are great!

I will give this a go too, although I have a question. How do you screenshot large areas from google maps/earth? This is probably really simple and I'm probably just missing something, but I haven't been able to find much info on this.
Old 11 Aug 2014, 23:04 (Ref:3443575)   #8
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
In Sketchup go to file then Geo-Location > Add Imagery. You can also add a toolbar for a shortcut (View > Toolbars > Google).
Old 11 Aug 2014, 23:50 (Ref:3443582)   #9
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Thanks! Work has begun...
Old 13 Aug 2014, 21:31 (Ref:3444069)   #10
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Ok, here is what I came up with.

New Donnybrooke (red) : 4.9km
New Competition (blue) : 2.9km

**Spectator stands / areas in orange**

I decided to keep the circuit direction the same, so both the Long and short laps run clockwise. The infield bridge is in the same location, although it would have to be rebuilt to allow for some runoff beneath. The final turn has been modified to be a compromise between the two options previously available.

The new competition circuit uses the old competition course section and secondary pitlane, but in reverse. The small pitlane can be used for quiter events or track days on the competition course.

A new infield section chops off the old turns 2 & 3, but adds a new stadium-like sequence giving fans great views of the action. the dragstrip can still function as normal, for race weekends at the circuit a temporary barrier would need to be put in place, blocking off the dragstrip starting area.
Attached Thumbnails
brainerd international raceway.jpg   brainerd international raceway GP.png   brainerd international raceway Short.png  

Old 15 Aug 2014, 11:47 (Ref:3444467)   #11
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Great to see creative, interesting solutions to the same problem.

I have simplified my design by removing most of the loop I added. The straight beforehand has been lengthened and goes into a sharp right. Then down the straight into a flowing left-right and back onto the original circuit. The esses 2 corners later have been modified slightly as well with the double left replaced by a single left with the approach to the following right now longer. The track length is now reduced to 3.15mi.
Attached Thumbnails
Brainerd 2.jpg   Brainerd2 Changes.jpg  
Old 15 Aug 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3444487)   #12
Vepe
Rookie

Finland
Vepe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tried to make this with minimal changes to the original layout, in which I think I succeded quite well.
The drag strip remains operational and can be used simultaniously with the short road course.

Start/Finish straight is running next to the drag strip.

A chicane has been added before the first corner in order to reduce speeds, as there isn't enough runoff. The second and third corners have also been modified to give more space for runoff.

A simple infield section has been added to allow for a better passing zone at the following chicane.

The chicane also slows the cars a bit for the pit straight. Not pictured, but there is also a possibility to use a chicane after the pit straight.

SPECTATOR AREAS

Infield is reserved for general admission, meaning no stands (with the exception of the drag strip stand already there). Temporary stands will be built along the pit straight and at the first chicane.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brainerd.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	43236
Old 16 Aug 2014, 07:56 (Ref:3444620)   #13
Yannick
Veteran

Guys, I'm glad you like this challenge so much. It's great to see how this thread develops, and how you develop the track.

@SKGThunder: Thank you for what is probably the most avantgarde design in the thread so far, due to the introduction of the two hairpins and the move of the short loop to the other side of the place. However, I'm afraid the increase in lap times might be a little too much for the racing fans from the local public to fathom, kind of like the loss of the forest straights when Hockenheim was renovated in the 2000s. And it's important to attract them to the track, otherwise the effort of re-designing Brainerd wouldn't be necessary.

@SpeedingTortoise: Thank you for the update. That infield suits the original layout much better.

@Vepe: Thank you for providing a design that both fits the budget and runs in the same direction as the original circuit. I've got to wonder, though, if maybe your first corner chicane isn't a little too tight to prevent a start crash.

Last edited by Yannick; 16 Aug 2014 at 08:06.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 19:18 (Ref:3444701)   #14
Vepe
Rookie

Finland
Vepe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Guys, I'm glad you like this challenge so much. It's great to see how this thread develops, and how you develop the track.

@Vepe: Thank you for providing a design that both fits the budget and runs in the same direction as the original circuit. I've got to wonder, though, if maybe your first corner chicane isn't a little too tight to prevent a start crash.
Do you want to see a start crash?

To be honest, I don't know. It could be modified a bit, but I think it would work fine like that.