Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jul 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2254737)   #1
OSTKURVE
Rookie

United States
Los Angeles
OSTKURVE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Happened To The German Grand Prix?

I have not followed F1 as closely as I used to so yesterday as I was watching ITV's qualifying coverage I was taken by surprise as Sebastian Vettel walked viewers through the course from an aerial view from a helicopter.

When did this reconfiguration of the circuit take place? I remember some years back then ESPN commentator Bob Varsha mentioning that German environmentalist had been staging protest & demanding an end to the German Grand Prix in order to protect the forest.

Have the ADAC & the FIA conceded to the demands of the environmentalist? The new layout resembles the "short course" the D2 STW Cup used to run.

Hockeinheim was a legendary circuit & one of my personal favorites & I think the sport has been dealt another crushing blow by altering the circuit.

Ecclestone has removed the Nurburgring from the calendar & relocated the European Grand Prix to a street circuit which I think is a travesty & he's taken the British Grand Prix away from Silverstone because the BRDC won't meet his price tag, Magny Cours has just met a similar fate.

What other iconic circuits are facing an impending doom? F1 will soon be a shell of its former self @ this rate.

Last edited by OSTKURVE; 20 Jul 2008 at 18:54.
Old 20 Jul 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2254743)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The reconfiguration took place after 2001.
Old 20 Jul 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2254744)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hockenheim was changed around 2002(ish)
Old 20 Jul 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2254749)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Boring ?
Old 20 Jul 2008, 19:06 (Ref:2254753)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Boring ?
Old 20 Jul 2008, 22:16 (Ref:2254875)   #6
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=OSTKURVE

Ecclestone has removed the Nurburgring from the calendar & relocated the European Grand Prix to a street circuit which I think is a travesty & he's taken the British Grand Prix away from Silverstone because the BRDC won't meet his price tag, Magny Cours has just met a similar fate.

What other iconic circuits are facing an impending doom? F1 will soon be a shell of its former self @ this rate.[/QUOTE]

Hockenheim was reconfigured in time for the 2002 Grand Prix, the old circuit has no been torn up and replanted with trees.

The German GP now alternates between Hockenheim and the Nurburgring.

The Euro GP has been moved to a place with what is likely to be a higher attendance. Germany struggles to get enough people to 1 GP never mind 2.
Old 20 Jul 2008, 22:25 (Ref:2254880)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The German Grand Prix has departed Germany and relocated to Dubai...
Old 20 Jul 2008, 22:46 (Ref:2254893)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
The German Grand Prix has departed Germany and relocated to Dubai...
Don't push Jeremy or it might come true !
Old 20 Jul 2008, 23:06 (Ref:2254904)   #9
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the OP is talking about the fact that the old parts of the circuit have been ripped up completely and aren't available to race on, rather than what circuit the GP uses.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 21 Jul 2008, 00:55 (Ref:2254940)   #10
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still don't understand why they had to destroy the old circuit. It would have been no problem at all to build the new version (which, granted, probably produces better racing with current F1 cars) as an alternative to the original configuration.
Of course, the problem with that is that F1 was the only major series that used the old circuit. DTM used the old short version and nothing else would have justified keeping it.
Though I can't help thinking that it would have worked magnificently as an LMS round
Old 21 Jul 2008, 02:50 (Ref:2254985)   #11
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye
I still don't understand why they had to destroy the old circuit. It would have been no problem at all to build the new version (which, granted, probably produces better racing with current F1 cars) as an alternative to the original configuration.
Of course, the problem with that is that F1 was the only major series that used the old circuit. DTM used the old short version and nothing else would have justified keeping it.
Though I can't help thinking that it would have worked magnificently as an LMS round
Environmental reasons i.e. the number of trees that they were knocking down to make the new circuit had to be offset by ripping up the old track and planting new trees there.
Old 21 Jul 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2255110)   #12
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And to think that I once considered voting green *shudders*
Not that I actually did it
Old 21 Jul 2008, 08:57 (Ref:2255123)   #13
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's not like they would have painted new stripes, put down new tarmac etc every once in a while just to keep the nostalgia-army happy. if it's not gonna be used, might as well turn the area back into a forest.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 23:47 (Ref:2256265)   #14
mclaren2007
Rookie

mclaren2007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking of classic circuits to be removed from the calendar. In 1985, F1 lost two of the greatest circuits ever to hold a race, Kyalami and Zandvoort. Bother of these have been replaced with boring uninspiring new circuits that are a shadow of their former selves. When the Osterreichring was closed in 1988 and replaced by the less challengingm, hairpin infested A1 Ring, one of the last remaining old style circuits was lost.

Another circuit to feel the force of new safety is Monza. This was a classic circuit, now interupted by chicanes. The 2006 race was almost cancelled, because of a noise issue.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 00:41 (Ref:2256286)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This an never ending moan and groan about the new circuits versus the old, either we accept or we stop watching our favorite form of entertainment...While I appreciate everyones views on the subject, what can we do about it? any thoughts?
Old 23 Jul 2008, 10:22 (Ref:2256447)   #16
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It came as quite a surprise to me to see the half-empty Motodrom during the race this year. The Mercedes Tribüne seemed to be fully occupied, though. That must have changed the audience reception of drivers in certain parts of the circuit considerably.
Hockenheim is obviously lost since 2002. They even got high debts because of this reconstruction. Let's hope they will be gentle to Donington.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 10:51 (Ref:2256465)   #17
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
This an never ending moan and groan about the new circuits versus the old, either we accept or we stop watching our favorite form of entertainment...While I appreciate everyones views on the subject, what can we do about it? any thoughts?
Maybe it would be an idea to start and build the cars to fit the circuits and not the other way round. It was done like this until we had to face the first of the odd Tilkodromes
Old 24 Jul 2008, 07:56 (Ref:2257013)   #18
mclaren2007
Rookie

mclaren2007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imola did change all that.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2257315)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick
It came as quite a surprise to me to see the half-empty Motodrom during the race this year. The Mercedes Tribüne seemed to be fully occupied, though. That must have changed the audience reception of drivers in certain parts of the circuit considerably.
Hockenheim is obviously lost since 2002. They even got high debts because of this reconstruction. Let's hope they will be gentle to Donington.
Even with german drivers in the grid, TGF's retirement have its consequence in the crowds there...
Old 24 Jul 2008, 20:53 (Ref:2257389)   #20
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not sure if I can speak for germans not going but I can say that I feel completely jerked by our most beloved poison dwarf, german politicians, H.Tilke and the Hockenheim owners at all.
We once had a very demanding 22 km circuit which unfortunately got written off because of safety standards and the german gp got moved to the Motodrome at Hockenheim, another quite interesting circuit. For drivers it may have been boring but from the technical side of things it was very interesting.
I mean, not that I could buy a Ferrari or something at all, but in all honesty would you buy a car where the engine blows of at its ultimate test 2/3rds down the way ?
then came the day when the worlds most famous circuit re-designer, f1 worlds anyway, made a huge parking lot out of what once was a highspeed circuit where it was interesting to spot a coming car by the engine sound.

And after all people really wonder why the grandstands are half emptied ?
When I saw the plans for Hockenheim's re-design I imediatly swore that I never return to a race on that circuit.

After all there is a speech about the worlds most famous circuit infield designer: Thankfully he never got his hands on the Nordschleife. It would turn into a 20 squaremile big flat skidpad with some white lines tracing out the circuit
Old 24 Jul 2008, 23:44 (Ref:2257481)   #21
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The one saving grace for me, where the new Hockenheim is concerned, is that camera-on-a-rail which chases the cars to the hairpin, EXCEPT that I didn't see it once this past weekend! Such a shame considering how neat an innovation it was. I'm always quite surprised that more new tracks don't use the idea (Shanghai or Fuji with those long straights would be perfect).