Old 20 Jul 2014, 13:33 (Ref:3435833)   #101
MikeManNZ
Racer

MikeManNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better 3rd than DNF
Old 20 Jul 2014, 13:34 (Ref:3435834)   #102
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bottas nails the exit of turn two every time.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 13:38 (Ref:3435836)   #103
MikeManNZ
Racer

Well done Nico.

Great drive from Lewis.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 13:38 (Ref:3435837)   #104
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Congrats to Rosberg. The German GP, won in a German car by a 'German' driver.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 13:39 (Ref:3435838)   #105
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great drive from Bottas too.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 13:40 (Ref:3435840)   #106
MikeManNZ
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Great drive from Bottas too.
I agree, future champion there for sure.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 13:41 (Ref:3435841)   #107
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Finnish 1-2.

Well done Nico!
Old 20 Jul 2014, 13:45 (Ref:3435845)   #108
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maldonado gained 6 places, without crashing into anyone. amazing.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 13:47 (Ref:3435846)   #109
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Go Bottas. Yes!
Old 20 Jul 2014, 13:53 (Ref:3435853)   #110
Ryan Smith
Rookie

England
Slough
Ryan Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a really good race.

Hamilton was always at a disadvantage here, starting 20th due to a gearbox change (not quite sure why Mercedes changed it - any ideas?) - but the commitment he showed early on was amazing. By lap 14 he was up into P5, now my maths isn't the best, but in average that's a pass per lap (I think). It was unfortunate that he made contact with Button, but I think it was only fair as he did come together with Raikkonen's front wing into the hairpin at one stage in the race.
Two more stand out drivers for me were Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat; Ricciardo was driving well considering he was down in P15 after the incident into turn 1 involving Magnussen and Massa (just on a little side note and an opinion, I think Massa was at fault for the incident, purely because he was looking at his team-mates car more than he was at the ones beside him, just glad that he was okay as it looked really violent in real time). Kvyat was quietly getting on with his race, it was a shame to see his car go up into flames in the middle of the race but the important thing was that he was okay too.

Overall a very good race, enjoyed watching it, now looking forward to Hungary!
Old 20 Jul 2014, 13:55 (Ref:3435855)   #111
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Welcome Ryan.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 13:58 (Ref:3435859)   #112
Ryan Smith
Rookie

England
Slough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Welcome Ryan.
Thank-you!
Old 20 Jul 2014, 13:58 (Ref:3435861)   #113
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Finnish 1-2.

Well done Nico!
If Räikkönen was on the podium it would have been an All-Finnish Podium. ('cuz personally Rosberg raced with a Finnish flag in his early career)
Old 20 Jul 2014, 14:03 (Ref:3435863)   #114
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNo1F1Fan View Post
Räikkönen
Quote:
on the podium
Old 20 Jul 2014, 15:07 (Ref:3435886)   #115
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
Also, who do you reckon'll finish ahead, Bottas or Massa? My money's on Bottas, partly because I think he's got great race pace but also because Massa luck means he will either retire from car failure or someone will crash into him
Called it!
Old 20 Jul 2014, 15:56 (Ref:3435903)   #116
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
Called it!
You didn't, as it was Massa who crashed into someone.

"Ooh I'll just sweep sharply in behind my teammate, surely nobody else will be around me..."

*clatter*

Massa is quite unlucky, but there are days where he can drop the most awful clangers.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 15:58 (Ref:3435904)   #117
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Old 20 Jul 2014, 17:43 (Ref:3435923)   #118
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Woke up after the race had concluded having dreamed that Alonso pulled off a masterstroke...
Old 20 Jul 2014, 17:52 (Ref:3435924)   #119
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Woke up after the race had concluded having dreamed that Alonso pulled off a masterstroke...
Welcome back to reality. .

He sort of did, that battle with Ricciardo was fantastic.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 18:11 (Ref:3435929)   #120
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
In my view, that first corner at Hockenheim is designed perfectly to create first corner crashes. It narrows from the grid, so you have cars being funnelled, then the apex kerb is so short and also has a massive suspension destroying sausage kerb on the inside (so KM couldn't use it as an escape). It reminds me of the silverstone copse corner that was redesigned to make it "safer" in about 1994, but in turn generated a number of crashes, including a huge touring car pile up with about 10 cars involved. Copse was then changed back to something more like its original configuration in 1997 and as a result is much safer.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 19:41 (Ref:3435947)   #121
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
In my view, that first corner at Hockenheim is designed perfectly to create first corner crashes. It narrows from the grid, so you have cars being funnelled, then the apex kerb is so short and also has a massive suspension destroying sausage kerb on the inside (so KM couldn't use it as an escape). It reminds me of the silverstone copse corner that was redesigned to make it "safer" in about 1994, but in turn generated a number of crashes, including a huge touring car pile up with about 10 cars involved. Copse was then changed back to something more like its original configuration in 1997 and as a result is much safer.
That's exactly what I thought watching qualifying. That does look very dangerous and despite the Magnussen/Massa incident looking like a racing one imo (Massa couldn't have seen Magnussen because Bottas was there and tbf he left room on the apex, but as you say Magnussen had nowhere to go, having backed out from being alongside Bottas) it happened and there is certainly potential for a bigger incident to happen in the future.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 20:19 (Ref:3435963)   #122
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Looks like the dreaded day has come that a Hermann Tilke track is being called out for safety mods. Next step: cars clad in giant hi-vis vests. I'm out!

Of course, in fairness, that is a part of the old track. But given it is already massacred by tarmac runoff I think we can leave it be.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 20:24 (Ref:3435966)   #123
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Just watched the bbc2 highlights and enjoyed it, thought the scheduling of the film Grand prix just before was very apt in view of the news about James gardner IMHO a very good film with the established stars being overstaged by brilliant performances by Graham and Phil Hill.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 21:39 (Ref:3435987)   #124
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm looking at the incident with Magnussen and Massa and yes well it's clear that Magnussen had nowhere to go after the fact, it looks like Magnussen was at fault.

3 into 1? That was never going to come off. Especially when you are the the driver who is forcing the 3 wide situation, as Magnussen was, you have to be aware of how doors will open and close very rapidly. Just seems like a rookie mistake (don't mean that in a negative way).
Old 20 Jul 2014, 21:46 (Ref:3435990)   #125
Ryan Smith
Rookie

England
Slough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I'm looking at the incident with Magnussen and Massa and yes well it's clear that Magnussen had nowhere to go after the fact, it looks like Magnussen was at fault.

3 into 1? That was never going to come off. Especially when you are the the driver who is forcing the 3 wide situation, as Magnussen was, you have to be aware of how doors will open and close very rapidly. Just seems like a rookie mistake (don't mean that in a negative way).
I see where you're coming from here, Articus. But at the same time you have to take into account that Massa should have been a lot more wise about his choices into T1, given his experience in the sport.