Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 7 Nov 2000, 02:57 (Ref:47104)   #1
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm talking with half knowledge here as I have a bad memory but Charlie Cox always refers to British Touring Cars as having tank slappers.

When I had a tour of the Audi A4 back in 97, I was shown the stuff that they use in the tank that stops the petrol from 'swishing' around so to speak in order to stop the so called tank slapping. It was kind of honeycombed stuff to keep the petrol in sections?

So basically, is Charlie Cox using an inaccurate term in this case?
Old 7 Nov 2000, 11:13 (Ref:47137)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hehehe, i think what Charlie is refering to is when the cars accelerate and get the wobbles up so to speak. You know, side to side to side. I think this has more to do with the driver over correcting a sideways car, then correcting and continuing to correct the steering until the car is facing in the intended direction.
Old 7 Nov 2000, 11:53 (Ref:47143)   #3
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooh! 'Call my (Technical) Bluff! (If you've never seen this TV show, I'm not even gonna try and explain it!! )
OK the next word... Tankslapper

My understanding of the term was when a car leaves the circuit, crosses a kerb and ends up in the rough, having gained a little air, and coming down hard. Thus, 'slapping the tank'. Totally incorrect I'm sure, but then, I look nothing like Frank Muir. (Thankfully )

Lorna, your explanation of the purpose of the foam-filled tank is exactly right. It restricts the free movement of fuel in the tank, so the large (read heavy) volume of fuel doesn't influence the cars handling. It's all about inertia. (Hey! Tomorrows word!!)

And which ever definition you choose, (Crash Test is probably right) I'm so 'appy that you visited and asked us first! Thanks Mate! (You realize you can never leave!!)
Old 7 Nov 2000, 11:59 (Ref:47145)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah sure Sparky....we can't leave....

*bump* *thud*

OMG! We can't leave!!
Old 7 Nov 2000, 12:05 (Ref:47146)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I believe crash test is right on this one..originally applied to bike racing when the rider gets all out of shape and slams hard on the petrol tank just like gary McCoy at Phillip Island..also been taken over to cars for what is also know as fish tails when over correcting just seems to throw the car sideways each time you add imput to the steering..results are either you manage to hang on to it or you spin off into the boon docks.
Old 7 Nov 2000, 12:13 (Ref:47150)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw a good example on the Castle Combe crash video last night...

The Mustang got a bit sideways, overcorrected etc etc.. situation just kept on getting worse until the car speared off into the barriers.. BANG!!!
Old 7 Nov 2000, 12:16 (Ref:47151)   #7
Sparky
Veteran

Oh Arse. I forgot about those bloomin' bike things...

I did say he was probably right!

There ya go. Don't listen to a word I say.

Oh, and Crash, you get a day release voucher if you post something every day!
Old 7 Nov 2000, 16:33 (Ref:47189)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've been in a few slappers............... sorry I've been in a few TANK slappers in my time. Usually you either let the car settle itself, whilst backing gently off the gas or you spin off. Its fifty fifty.
Old 7 Nov 2000, 21:48 (Ref:47260)   #9
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A friend of mine recently referred to a tank slapper with its resultant series of corrections and over-corrections as "army driving." You know, left, right, left, right.
Old 8 Nov 2000, 01:52 (Ref:47289)   #10
Lorna
Veteran

I did get a serious answer from that question, didn't I? Look guys, I can be serious sometimes, you know!

Now, Sparky, if we can't leave this place, can you please supply some comfortable living conditions. I'd like some potted plants in that corner over there, TV, Vid, DVD Player, surround sound, the works, plus bar in the other corner with fridge to cool the beers, big comfortable settee, pizza delivery....... did I miss anything out?
Old 8 Nov 2000, 02:09 (Ref:47291)   #11
Sparky
Veteran

I promise you, you did get a serious answer. Crash Test described it first, and everybody agreed with the Smart Alec.

I think 'this place' (sounds a bit cold, don't it? ) is furnished fairly comfortably for a tech spot. Although... A satellite and a Playstation wouldn't go amiss...

One last thought... Isn't 'Tank Slapper' another description for the Regimental Sleeping Bag?

I'm not explaining that one...
Old 8 Nov 2000, 05:24 (Ref:47306)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This tankslapper thing is sort of a case of the collywobbles then. Gil had one in the Fontana race, he said, and I always thought it meant somebody had smacked your car in the rear quarter panel.

So I am grateful to be enlightened. Is there anything to drink around here?
Old 8 Nov 2000, 22:16 (Ref:47428)   #13
Lorna
Veteran

Hmmm, I think we'll leave those sort of variations on tankslappers out of this respectable forum, Sparky!

Liz, if you can't find it behind the bar or in the fridge, complain to der management (Mr Sparky).
Old 8 Nov 2000, 23:04 (Ref:47445)   #14
Sparky
Veteran

But Miss... Peter started it..

Er.. drinks... lets see... We have Super Plus Unleaded, Castrol R or Nitrous Oxide (That last one's a bit gassy)

All draught of course.

You could always bring a bottle, jack!

Old 8 Nov 2000, 23:10 (Ref:47446)   #15
Lorna
Veteran

Oh that's right - pass the blame!

Cheap skate is making us bring our own drinks now. It's time to start digging a tunnel and escape this joint
Old 8 Nov 2000, 23:24 (Ref:47449)   #16
Sparky
Veteran

Blimey! Now they want nourishment...

Sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. (But he did start it... )

"bring a bottle, jack" was supposed to be pun. Bottle, Jack.. Bottlejack... Y'know, a little car jack that you... Oh never mind!

Pretty cheapskate, I'll agree.

And if we did supply drinks, you'd all end up using greasy mugs anyway!

So, are you happy with your answer Lorny? Glad you came?

Old 8 Nov 2000, 23:28 (Ref:47450)   #17
Lorna
Veteran

Okay okay, apologies and all that. Mr Mallett can be a bad influence, like you need it! Hehe!

Yes, glad I came. I'll go away now happy with my answer. Thank you Crash Test.
Old 10 Nov 2000, 11:44 (Ref:47790)   #18
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

It's indeed bikerstalk originally.
Just wondering: is 'tankslapping' the same as a 'high-sider'? Rear end slides, suddenly grips again, owch!
Old 10 Nov 2000, 12:30 (Ref:47797)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I got into one at Spa this year.

I braked a little too late on the entrance into Puhon (a third to fourth gear left handed double apex bend) and the back stepped out to the right. I got some power down and the back swung to the other side, I lifted off and the back swung right again. After about two or three more attempts I saw it was swinging to the left (away from the gravel trap) and let it go. I backed off the track at the end of the corner onto the grass, selected first gear and off I went after the three cars that had re-passed me.

The marshals seemed to find it all very funny.
Old 13 Nov 2000, 16:45 (Ref:48188)   #20
koenda
Rookie

koenda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dino:
I believe tank slappers are not the same as high-siders. In tank-slappers the front-wheel becomes too light and the clip-ons slap against the tank . The front wheel has not enough grip and can steer a little, it's grip returns and because of the direction of the bike it's steering is overcorrected, so the steering goes to the other side. This motion is amplified each time if you are unlucky...
Maybe it can be caused by a light rear-wheel too, but I don't know it.
But the effect is the same.... ouch...
To prevent this you can put a steering-damper (euh.. is dit de goede vertaling van stuurdemper???), to damp the slapping of the steer. But then your bike doesn't steer as quickly as it used to...
Old 16 Nov 2000, 14:01 (Ref:48596)   #21
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Vast wel

Tnx, I didn't know that, I mistook it for a rear wheel effect.
Old 18 Nov 2000, 07:33 (Ref:48842)   #22
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparky

But Miss... Peter started it..

Er.. drinks... lets see... We have Super Plus Unleaded, Castrol R or Nitrous Oxide (That last one's a bit gassy)

All draught of course.

You could always bring a bottle, jack!

So is the use of Nitrous Oxide your excuse for the fact that half the posts on this forum seem to have been made by half-stoned people?
Old 19 Nov 2000, 00:40 (Ref:48923)   #23
Lorna
Veteran

Damn! We've been rumbled
Old 20 Nov 2000, 18:29 (Ref:49188)   #24
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
new fellow here, I have just come across this forum recently and look in at during lunch hour at work over here in Canada. Just wanted you all to know that I got a giggle from your discussion of tankslappers... I did some production bike racing many years ago, so when Cox mentions tankslappers, I immediately make the connection even though it's with cars, ultimately it comes to the same thing, abit too much oversteer, chassis or tire loading etc and whangoo there it goes. I agree that the best thing to do is to ride it out cuz overcorrections tend to make it worse (if you are lucky by this point and you are'nt pitched on your arse, or giving a larf to the Spa cornerworkers...) Speaking of Cox, I see the BTTC races weeks and even months after they occur, and I just saw the Snetterton night race (is that how its spelled?), where Cox was allowed out in a Mondeo to show us around and looped it partway round the lap, I felt bad for the guy, camera staring at him, it was a good thing it was night cuz I'm sure his face was red.. I know that he competed in the BTTC, but what success did he have? Was he pretty good and what teams did he drive for and when? Thanks, from the Colonies.. (sic)
Old 20 Nov 2000, 23:51 (Ref:49244)   #25
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Welcome aboard djb!

Charlie Cox- Originally an Australian, went to England and wound up as a privateer in Mondeos in the BTCC. His claim to fame was at Thruxton in the mid 90s when he rolled several hundred times coming into the chicane. He came back with the first Mondeo hatch.

He has also raced in the Bathurst 1000 a few times, once again with a privateer team and with limited success.