Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 23 Jul 2023, 09:29 (Ref:4169516)   #226
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lights to flag for Boardley yesterday. I went along to see it. It's a good little series, I do hope it goes upwards from here. Quite enjoyable to watch those cars getting chucked around Knockhill.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 10:03 (Ref:4169517)   #227
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Lights to flag for Boardley yesterday. I went along to see it. It's a good little series, I do hope it goes upwards from here. Quite enjoyable to watch those cars getting chucked around Knockhill.
Glad to see Boardley doing well, looks like he’s in the hotseat now for the championship. Smiley having a torrid time.

Grid feeling a little thin again, especially with a host of retirements, hopefully it picks up back down from Knockhill. Racing been good though.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 10:10 (Ref:4169518)   #228
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Going to be a lot of judicials after that race. Boardley surprised at getting a track limit penalty whereas I'm surprised there weren't people DQ'd. Every corner there were people breaking limits and some by a big margin.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 10:42 (Ref:4169519)   #229
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Race 1:
Car 27 - 5 second penalty - Track limits
Car 99 - 5 second penalty - Track limits
Car 50 - 5 second penalty - Track limits
Car 223 - 5 second penalty - Track limits
Car 76 - 5 second penalty - Track limits
Car 27 - 10 second penalty - Track limits
Car 99 - 10 second penalty - Track limits
Car 223 - 10 second penalty - Track limits
Car 27 - 30 second penalty - Track limits
Car 223 - 30 second penalty - Track limits

Race 2:
Car 27 - 10 second penalty - Jump start
Car 17 - 5 second penalty - Track limits
Car 41 - 5 second penalty - Track limits

Lets see if they can do better in race 3
Old 23 Jul 2023, 12:17 (Ref:4169524)   #230
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
Going to be a lot of judicials after that race. Boardley surprised at getting a track limit penalty whereas I'm surprised there weren't people DQ'd. Every corner there were people breaking limits and some by a big margin.
Brickley penalised, put behind new winner Ley.

https://twitter.com/tcr_series/statu...T11pmdgnSSDQzA
Old 23 Jul 2023, 12:25 (Ref:4169526)   #231
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Race 1:
Car 27 - 5 second penalty - Track limits
Car 50 - 5 second penalty - Track limits
Car 223 - 5 second penalty - Track limits
Car 76 - 5 second penalty - Track limits
Car 27 - 10 second penalty - Track limits
Car 223 - 10 second penalty - Track limits
Car 27 - 30 second penalty - Track limits
Car 223 - 30 second penalty - Track limits

Race 2:

Lets see if they can do better in race 3
It was very noticeable at the likes of the left hander between Duffus and Mcintyres, that pretty much everyone was using the flat kerb on the inside because it's been part of the racing line for a while.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 13:01 (Ref:4169527)   #232
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Race 2:
updated with

Car 16 - Disqualified form the results of the race. Addition of 4 penalty points to race licence (G5.3) - Contravention of Motorsport UK
Regulations C1.1.6 & Q12.21.3(m) - Failure to comply with Black Flag signals
Car 246 - Addition of 1.0 seconds to race time. Addition of 3 penalty points to race licence(G5.3) - Contravention of Motorsport UK Regulation
Q12.21.4
Car 17 - Addition of 10 seconds to race time (G5.3 / CR2.5.4) - Contravention of Championship Regulation CR2.4.5
Old 24 Jul 2023, 06:44 (Ref:4169646)   #233
annasto
Rookie

annasto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a ridiculous amount of penalties. I can't work out in my head what that meant for the race results but Boardley seems to have got that Cupra dialed in, he was flying this weekend.

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk
Old 24 Jul 2023, 07:47 (Ref:4169652)   #234
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
They were only monitoring turns 2,5,6 and 7. The chicane was monitored from the post on the inside of the circuit, and comparing the TSL penalties to what I saw in two races it didn't add up. Terrible place to judge from.
Old 25 Jul 2023, 18:24 (Ref:4169926)   #235
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it any real surprise that track limits are abused when stuff like this exists?

You know the saying, "You give them an inch and they'll take a mile"? Well it doesn't seem that the powers-that-be have ever heard of it! It's totally unnecessary.
Old 25 Jul 2023, 18:28 (Ref:4169929)   #236
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
Is it any real surprise that track limits are abused when stuff like this exists?

You know the saying, "You give them an inch and they'll take a mile"? Well it doesn't seem that the powers-that-be have ever heard of it! It's totally unnecessary.
The drivers I asked about it said the limit was the red out of Clark. One of the Audi drivers had some document from the TCR folk with photos of what was acceptable.
Old 25 Jul 2023, 21:05 (Ref:4169941)   #237
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the drivers were well behaved there and put on a good show
Old 25 Jul 2023, 23:08 (Ref:4169951)   #238
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
The drivers I asked about it said the limit was the red out of Clark. One of the Audi drivers had some document from the TCR folk with photos of what was acceptable.
I was watching and taking photos all day Sunday, on the exit of Clarks which is the corner in the image .. I can say that the red was rarely touched.
Old 26 Jul 2023, 08:12 (Ref:4169978)   #239
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's the issue with how track limits are being enforced though. The rule is all four wheels have to be completely on the track. In that photo the only part of the coloured concrete that counts as the track is the blue /white kerb not the solid green or red. The car on the green section is breaking track limits by a mile under the new rules and the old rules.

They put the concrete out there otherwise people are constantly bringing gravel/mud onto the track which punishes people behind who have done nothing wrong and breaks screens, radiators etc.

Last edited by AnnoyedMoose; 26 Jul 2023 at 08:22.
Old 15 Aug 2023, 13:44 (Ref:4172876)   #240
coffinpilot
Racer

New addition to the grid today.
Wonder who it could be. Saw Andy Wilmot has got the Dan Kirby car now (how many TCR cars has he bought and sold this year, FK2? i30?!!) So it won't be him. He's already known to be coming back.
Did see Stewart Lines teasing his crash helmet on facebook - I assume that's for endurance racing, can't see him racing in his own series like that bloke in the Focus Cup.
Saw fans rumouring Will Powell and Nic Hamilton (don't think Will an afford it right now, don't think Nic would 'lower' himself to TCR.
I'd put my money on Issac Smith coming back, or a club racer we've hardly heard of!
Old 15 Aug 2023, 15:23 (Ref:4172883)   #241
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
New addition to the grid today.
Wonder who it could be. Saw Andy Wilmot has got the Dan Kirby car now (how many TCR cars has he bought and sold this year, FK2? i30?!!) So it won't be him. He's already known to be coming back.
Did see Stewart Lines teasing his crash helmet on facebook - I assume that's for endurance racing, can't see him racing in his own series like that bloke in the Focus Cup.
Saw fans rumouring Will Powell and Nic Hamilton (don't think Will an afford it right now, don't think Nic would 'lower' himself to TCR.
I'd put my money on Issac Smith coming back, or a club racer we've hardly heard of!
Its ex-TCR UK, ex-Renault Clio Cup, ex-Civic Cup racer Jeff Alden in a 2nd Vauxhall Astra.

https://www.tcr-uk.co.uk/jeff-alden-...tcr-uk-return/
Old 19 Aug 2023, 11:23 (Ref:4173341)   #242
Evantra
Veteran

England
That Honda is getting worse…
Old 19 Aug 2023, 12:25 (Ref:4173347)   #243
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
That Honda is getting worse…
Given the experience at that team, I'm amazed at how bad the FL5 seems.

Sumpton and Cottam's qualifying laps seemed great - really good performances from them relative to their other performances this year.

All the first generation TCR cars (the CUPRA Leon TCR, the first-gen Audi RS 3 LMS, and the Vauxhall/Opel Astra (from 2015 - 2017)) seemed to struggle in that session. Its probably circuit specific, but I do wonder how many of them will be on the TCR UK grid next season.
Old 19 Aug 2023, 13:25 (Ref:4173355)   #244
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post

All the first generation TCR cars (the CUPRA Leon TCR, the first-gen Audi RS 3 LMS, and the Vauxhall/Opel Astra (from 2015 - 2017)) seemed to struggle in that session. Its probably circuit specific, but I do wonder how many of them will be on the TCR UK grid next season.
I do worry about that. In a way I wish TCR would give the UK a bit of a break for Gen 1 cars. For a BoP series it doesn't work at the moment, but it wouldn't be part of the TCR family then would it?

Hopefully we don't end up with 14 Gen 2 cars to start next year, then those who can't win give up.
Old 19 Aug 2023, 13:43 (Ref:4173357)   #245
Evantra
Veteran

England
But the Hyundai i30 is still very competitive, certainly been better than the Veloster. And I don’t think you’d expect the Leon or Vauxhall drivers at the moment to be front runners anyway.
Old 19 Aug 2023, 13:53 (Ref:4173361)   #246
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Of course, Hyundai have used a lot of rally experience into their road and race cars it seems. Even if not quite to the same standard. Don’t rule the other makes out though, they have enough performance to cause an upset
Old 20 Aug 2023, 00:22 (Ref:4173410)   #247
coffinpilot
Racer

Some of the i30s are still competitive - with one team. But even the Area drivers note that they are right at the limit - where the Elantra is a different beast and light years ahead. I think we all know Files wound it back at Snetterton, and they've all said that a full campaign with an average driver in that car would knock them all over the place. As for the Veloster - I think that's a team who've lost interest really - I heard that they left Oulton and didn't touch it for a month before preparing for Knockhill - it's nowhere near the where it could be.
Old 20 Aug 2023, 13:10 (Ref:4173467)   #248
Evantra
Veteran

England
Good racing but these cars are dropping like flies. Shepherd seems to get taken out of every race with a problem.

Boardley looking like the championship’s Ash Sutton at the moment!
Old 20 Aug 2023, 13:24 (Ref:4173469)   #249
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not that clued up on TCR UK but I was surprised how dog-eared the Veloster looked on the youtube feed before Race 1 at Knockhill. I know budget-wise the teams don't have mega money but I can believe what Coffinpilot said in his above post about the car being untouched from Oulton as that is exactly how the it looked.

I really expected Smiley to be much stronger this year considering the prestige they were given with the new Honda at the start of the year, however I am sure last year from what I can remember the Honda generally slipped as the year went on, and they were quite a way off at the Motorsport Games.
Old 20 Aug 2023, 14:11 (Ref:4173472)   #250
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Good racing but these cars are dropping like flies. Shepherd seems to get taken out of every race with a problem.

Boardley looking like the championship’s Ash Sutton at the moment!

I’m happy for Boardley, he races for the love of it and it’s certainly nice to see him succeeding in this series