Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 20 Jun 2013, 07:43 (Ref:3265318)   #176
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All;
Above are all good ideas, but not new. They have been on the table for 12 months now. Ideally it could be a solution but other factors such as Championship structure (where the classes will race) and agreements within the franchise holders come into play.

Slowly it seems that things may come together, but I thought that was happening in January after a pretty positive meeting of all groups. Now we have letters circulating that just add more negativity to the whole process. At times I fear that it will deteriate into a process of attrition...the absolute worst case scenario.
Old 20 Jun 2013, 08:34 (Ref:3265333)   #177
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post
Firstly, Drake stated on the Puke show that the running cost of a ST for a season (to race at Hampton and Pukekohe), was 250k, which i my eyes is a stupid amount of money to run a control car.
On the other hand i was told, from a very good source that one of the TLX boys spend only 50k for the season, which including the 2 south island rounds.
7 rounds
1 set of rubber per round x $1500 = $10500 season
Fuel per round assuming 100 laps per meeting x 1.8l/lap x $2.20 = $2700 season
Front rotors x 1000 set x 3 set = $3000
Brake pads x $400 a set x 5 sets = $2000

See how it works? (And not even particularly realistic costs)

So now, oils, filters, gearbox and diff maintenance costs, engine rebuild, etc.

You might be able to keep it under 50k.

Now do the same exercise with travel, accomodation, food, teamgear etc for the people required to run the car.
Doubtless they'll all work for free of course.

How will you get your car to the track?

Signwriting ain't cheap

I could go on but maybe the better way to learn this lesson would be to commit to a full season and start with 50k cash.

And do you know the funny thing? It doesn't matter whether you run a ute, a Formula Ford or a GT car, most of these costs are fixed

Staying at home and racing your local track is afforable. NZ Championships are not. which is why, in tight economic times, people stay close to home.
Old 20 Jun 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3265400)   #178
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For what it's worth, the Tullock camp (or rather, whoever runs their Facebook page) have said in the past that the TLX could be bought up to the same parity as the SuperTourer. Merge the two categories - then knock together some new regs that can marry the best elements of both platforms into one great race car.

Then call it the 'NZV8 SuperTourers', and hold the handshake ceremony with 'Ebony and Ivory' playing in the background.
Old 20 Jun 2013, 22:44 (Ref:3265784)   #179
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond View Post
There's one (maybe two) already happening with the TLX chassis
Hi Crunch,

Given the cost of converting the Nissan Patrol's bog standard V8 Engine into a 530 plus HP racing spec engine, at a minimum real cost of Circa 100K [Kelly Brothers engines in excess of A$125K each] Then these quote "maybe two" Nissan Altima TLX buyers must have very deep pockets.

Or perhaps they can use the Chevy LS3 engine that the TLX Holden Commodores use, is that a possibility?

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 00:06 (Ref:3265822)   #180
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^ I had the same thought to be honest. Assuming Nissan want to use their own branded engines, what will that cost to the client?

Will it be relatively cheap like and LS3, or quite pricey like the TRD engine? (although I am aware that TLX Camrys have paid less for these engines due to certain relationships with TRD).

If it does cost heaps, how much would a turn key Nissan Altima TLX actually cost? Would it be more that the 206k price (plus painting etc) for the ST? One would think so
Old 21 Jun 2013, 00:53 (Ref:3265843)   #181
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How much of the Kelly's price is recovering development costs rather than actual engine work cost
Old 21 Jun 2013, 02:09 (Ref:3265853)   #182
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Surely it must be relatively easy to find out what a Nismo 5L V8 would cost??

assuming it would be a Nismo motor of course
Old 21 Jun 2013, 02:13 (Ref:3265855)   #183
Swedish Brick
Racer

Is it? I haven't seen an official price on the TRD one yet. Only guesses and little birdy quotes. If Nissan don't want to sell to customer teams then the price may not be quoted.

I would imagine if it was a TLX team with official Nissan support the engine cost would be much less to the team, if it costs at all
Old 21 Jun 2013, 02:33 (Ref:3265862)   #184
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Really? is there still no firm cost on the TRD unit? I find that hard to believe.

Someone out there knows what the TRD cost for both Camrys, because someone has parted with some cash to buy them. Unless of course they were free hand-outs from TRD! (Highly unlikely as TRD are not a charity from what I can tell)

Agree with your final comment above Brick about how a manufacturer team would work with support around the cost of the engine.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 02:42 (Ref:3265864)   #185
Swedish Brick
Racer

Well the only sources quoted on here have been of the little birdy or "I heard" variety so there's no real way of knowing their accuracy. I suspect they cost the teams a similar amount as a coyote or Chev unit would given the team connections. But that's part conjecture on my part.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 02:43 (Ref:3265865)   #186
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Surely it must be relatively easy to find out what a Nismo 5L V8 would cost??

assuming it would be a Nismo motor of course
maybe there's a 5.6L V8 in the Nissan TLX
Old 21 Jun 2013, 02:47 (Ref:3265867)   #187
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Really? is there still no firm cost on the TRD unit? I find that hard to believe.

Someone out there knows what the TRD cost for both Camrys, because someone has parted with some cash to buy them. Unless of course they were free hand-outs from TRD! (Highly unlikely as TRD are not a charity from what I can tell)
Possibly the TRD engine price and the Toyota sponsorship have an effect on each other so the true cost may not be known,

and yes someone must have forked out the cash for it,
but does not mean they will tell everyone how much the cheque was for.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 02:56 (Ref:3265871)   #188
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
maybe there's a 5.6L V8 in the Nissan TLX
There is more than on Nissan V8 engine.

from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VK_engine

Quote:
Motorsport
A flat-plane crankshaft version of the VK45DE was used by Nismo for Super GT races with the Nissan GT-R instead of using the GT-R's VR38DETT twin-turbo V6 engine.[1] The VK45DE was previously used in Nissan's 350Z Super GT car, replacing the previous VQ30DETT used in that car in 2007. In race trim, the Super GT VK45DE produces 500 PS (490 hp) and 52 kg·m (510 N·m; 380 lb·ft) of torque.[2] The engine idles at around 3500 RPM and is restricted to the above specified power output. Without such restrictions, the engine is reputedly capable of producing nearly 800 PS (790 hp).[3] Nismo reasons that by using the engine, they eliminate turbo-lag, save weight and generally prefer the torque curve of the atmospheric V8.
No need to redesign the wheel when there is something that suits,
and it's much easier to de-tune something to spec's than to upgrade it to suit,
after all the TLX's have parity from tuning rather than true HP figures anyway dont they?
Old 21 Jun 2013, 05:21 (Ref:3265886)   #189
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Hi Crunch,

Given the cost of converting the Nissan Patrol's bog standard V8 Engine into a 530 plus HP racing spec engine, at a minimum real cost of Circa 100K [Kelly Brothers engines in excess of A$125K each] Then these quote "maybe two" Nissan Altima TLX buyers must have very deep pockets.

Or perhaps they can use the Chevy LS3 engine that the TLX Holden Commodores use, is that a possibility?

Cheers,

Mark.
I dont know the details and costings, that is thier private business. I do know it is a long standing team
Old 22 Jun 2013, 02:09 (Ref:3266287)   #190
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
I dont know the details and costings, that is thier private business. I do know it is a long standing team
Raymonde,

I think you might be counting your chickens before they have hatched.

John Manley, Managing Director of Nissan New Zealand said "I have had several calls, from interested parties, including one from Angus Fogg, enquiring about our possible interest in supporting a V8 Touring car program here in New Zealand, and I have told them all, that we have no budget to get involved in any form of New Zealand budget, and furthermore Australia has urged us to focus on leveraging what they are doing in Australia, with Kelly motorsport".

Other than some private individual tacking on some Altima tinware on to a TLX chassis, just to be different, your sources would appear to be stretching the bow some what.
Old 22 Jun 2013, 02:11 (Ref:3266288)   #191
Swedish Brick
Racer

I think the sport has had enough of your sabotage. Probably best to just keep ya nose out if it really
Old 22 Jun 2013, 02:28 (Ref:3266290)   #192
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
I think the sport has had enough of your sabotage. Probably best to just keep ya nose out if it really
Well Warwick, at least I still have "skin in the game" which is a lot more than keyboard critic's and haters like you, have.
Old 22 Jun 2013, 02:43 (Ref:3266292)   #193
Swedish Brick
Racer

Yeah we all know about that.
Old 22 Jun 2013, 03:39 (Ref:3266303)   #194
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
There's one (maybe two) already happening with the TLX chassis
Quote:
didn't think Raymond mentioned anything about chickens? someone wants to build one or two Nissan TLX's. there's no mention of the cars being part of a factory team or having factory support? so what's the issue?
Old 22 Jun 2013, 03:54 (Ref:3266306)   #195
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
And the hate wheels just a keep on turnin'
saw the two tlx camrys today at puke. To be honest they sound ok, rather loud I must say but I dont get what all the fuss is about. They sound just a bit deeper and louder than a ford tl. Just my opinion
Old 22 Jun 2013, 05:10 (Ref:3266312)   #196
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
And the hate wheels just a keep on turnin'
saw the two tlx camrys today at puke. To be honest they sound ok, rather loud I must say but I dont get what all the fuss is about. They sound just a bit deeper and louder than a ford tl. Just my opinion
what's the point of your post then? first those two argue over nothing.. then you post that? is the rain getting to you guys?
Old 22 Jun 2013, 10:40 (Ref:3266409)   #197
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
Yeah we all know about that.
Warwick, I would personaly donate to mark for his defamation case against you, you have no idea what you are spouting.
Old 22 Jun 2013, 10:50 (Ref:3266413)   #198
Swedish Brick
Racer

Well good luck with that. I've been right that many times on here I've lost count.
Nevertheless I'm sure he would be happy to take your money
Old 23 Jun 2013, 00:11 (Ref:3267590)   #199
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
what's the point of your post then? first those two argue over nothing.. then you post that? is the rain getting to you guys?
It's called an opinion max. And yeah the rain does suck tbh!
did I hit a nerve making an observation about the beloved camry tlx?
Old 23 Jun 2013, 00:24 (Ref:3267602)   #200
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
nope used to a catty response from you when someone doesn't think ST is the only motorsport class in this country