Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 7 Dec 2011, 14:28 (Ref:2996481)   #26
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Verena Mei would certainly add some glamor to the field! Can you share source of the rumor?
Old 7 Dec 2011, 16:58 (Ref:2996562)   #27
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/111209990
Old 9 Dec 2011, 08:57 (Ref:2997432)   #28
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Block confirms he'll be doing the full GRC season next year...

http://www.rallybuzz.com/exclusive-r...ala-ken-block/

...hope his new Fiesta fares better than it did at X-Games 17!
Old 9 Dec 2011, 09:38 (Ref:2997448)   #29
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
http://www.rallycrossworld.com/2011/...ms-rallycross/
Old 9 Dec 2011, 09:45 (Ref:2997450)   #30
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
...hope his new Fiesta fares better than it did at X-Games 17!
I do not expect too much from a for RX use converted Fiesta WRC. But maybe it's good enough for the GRC series…
Old 9 Dec 2011, 10:16 (Ref:2997461)   #31
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Glad this thread popped up! Turns out I'll be in New York in time for the Global Rallycross round... are venues mentioned yet? Will it be held in New York City itself or some obscure track in the state somewhere?
Old 9 Dec 2011, 18:04 (Ref:2997656)   #32
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Wow - is that Guru throwing some smack talk that GRC front of field is easier than ERC??? Think Gronholm and Foust would do just fine in the ERC but then they wouldn't be on TV. In fact, didn't Foust come second in the ERC this year?

Re New York, no venue has been announced yet. Doubt Bloomberg will be closing any streets (ESPN doesn't own NYC like it does LA) but hopefully somewhere close to Manhattan. The RA events at NJMP (closest race track) didn't really draw from the city plus it is in New Jersey

Should be announced soon.

Mark
Best Buy RallyCross Team
Old 9 Dec 2011, 19:15 (Ref:2997675)   #33
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Mark, I just guess that Block would not be a regular A finalist in the ERC (even with 8 cars from now on) while he can be one in the GRC. And Foust has a true RX Fiesta, Block a converted WRC. Last not least I rate Foust a better RX driver.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 20:23 (Ref:2997707)   #34
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
I do not expect too much from a for RX use converted Fiesta WRC. But maybe it's good enough for the GRC series…
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the GRC cars are running slight more power than their ERC counterparts aren't they?...

My comment was perhaps a little unfair in that it was a virtually new car at X-Games 17 (I was surprised he chose there to debut it). He has been touring with that "HFHV" and its been reliable enough, so hopefully it'll provide a decent platform for him to have a stab at the GRC. I personally think that Blocks "HFHV" is a very clever design, but its essentially a compromise, so its never going to be quite as honed to the task as the MSE Fiesta's (in my opinion anyway).

Still - and as I'm sure we all agree - Block is a great marketing tool and obviously not entirely useless behind the wheel, but I wouldn't put him in the same league as Foust and especially not Gronholm!
Old 9 Dec 2011, 21:06 (Ref:2997742)   #35
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do hope when things go global we get to see some of the traditional venues being used. Plus I also hope the calendar does not clash with the ERX this year or next year, because I would love to see some of the ERX teams appearing every now and then racing against the GRX teams.

Part me is wondering if we might see Liam Doran return with the C4, or hopefully when it's ready the DS3.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 07:49 (Ref:2997915)   #36
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
rx-guru, Block won't run a WRC-converted Fiesta at the GRX, but this "hybrid function hoon vehicle".
Old 10 Dec 2011, 10:05 (Ref:2997950)   #37
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Real shame for ERC, one of my fave drivers Holte is only running in the US this year

Damn shame as I think he could challenge with Isachsen maybe running a new car and having issues hopefully!
Old 10 Dec 2011, 10:48 (Ref:2997962)   #38
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
rx-guru, Block won't run a WRC-converted Fiesta at the GRX, but this "hybrid function hoon vehicle".
The HFHV is based on a converted WRC Fiesta: you are both talking about the same car!
Old 10 Dec 2011, 12:09 (Ref:2997986)   #39
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
---
Old 10 Dec 2011, 13:47 (Ref:2998039)   #40
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's the story about Frode Holte making the switch.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 13:58 (Ref:2998044)   #41
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
The HFHV is based on a converted WRC Fiesta: you are both talking about the same car!
Right, an M-Sport 3-doors Mk7 crashed by Mikko Hirvonen near Torsby during tests for the 2011 Sweden Rally and later converted to RX specs for Ken Block by the people around Henning Solberg.

BTW, as far as I know the GRC cars use a 45mm restrictor, same as the Supercars in the ERC.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 14:12 (Ref:2998050)   #42
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post

http://www.rallycrossworld.com/2011/...grc-programme/

More easy to read?
Old 10 Dec 2011, 15:48 (Ref:2998075)   #43
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
BTW, as far as I know the GRC cars use a 45mm restrictor, same as the Supercars in the ERC.
Yeah, I thought this, but then I've seen quite a few articles (and seen a couple of driver interviews) quoting the power output of the GRC cars as 575 - 600 BHP (I guess that could just be slightly exaggerated for the purpose of marketing though).

Be cool if Block did a bit of rallycross testing in Europe (though I suspect the ERX regulars would run rings round him!) though I seem to recall (perhaps wrongly) that his "Hybrid" car is ineligible for use in the ERX?

I'm surprised by Holte jumping ship, out of interest has anyone heard what Jernberg is planning for 2012? Given he has been a part of the GRC for a year I wondered whether he wants to stay there or if he'd rather return to the ERX again?

Don't know if you guys have already seen it (I don't think its been posted here), but some updated marketing blurb for the 2012 season...

http://www.global-rallycross.com/wp-...memo_FINAL.pdf
Old 10 Dec 2011, 16:35 (Ref:2998089)   #44
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big shame for ERX that Holte wont be there in 2012, But great for Global Rallycross to have him and 2 other C30's intime for X-Games.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2998093)   #45
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Quote:
Yeah, I thought this, but then I've seen quite a few articles (and seen a couple of driver interviews) quoting the power output of the GRC cars as 575 - 600 BHP (I guess that could just be slightly exaggerated for the purpose of marketing though).

Be cool if Block did a bit of rallycross testing in Europe (though I suspect the ERX regulars would run rings round him!) though I seem to recall (perhaps wrongly) that his "Hybrid" car is ineligible for use in the ERX?

I'm surprised by Holte jumping ship, out of interest has anyone heard what Jernberg is planning for 2012? Given he has been a part of the GRC for a year I wondered whether he wants to stay there or if he'd rather return to the ERX again?

Don't know if you guys have already seen it (I don't think its been posted here), but some updated marketing blurb for the 2012 season...

http://www.global-rallycross.com/wp-...memo_FINAL.pdf
Interesting clear up about the GRX and the FIA. I'm guessing if the GRX wants to go truly global, they will need to talk to the FIA about it.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2998140)   #46
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
@ tbtstt: When the Group B cars had "driveable" 650bhp a lot of people were talking about 800+bhp. These days it is nearly the same with 600+bhp. I bet no Supercar with 45mm restrictor has more than 560bhp while racing.

@ I Rosputnik: FIA will defo "wake up" when some people are trying to establish a World Rallycross Championship, no matter if 'World' is replaced by 'Global'.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 01:13 (Ref:2998248)   #47
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I keep thinking that they should use GRX rather than GRC. It's more unique, more X Gamesy.

I hope that Latin Americans get all races live with Agulla and Pombo narrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakeholder memo
prevent conflict with other relevant race series schedules including European Rallycross, Rally America, Formula Drift and WRC
That's very sensible, that helps to attract entries from those championships. At this point I'd try not to force teams to run just the GRX.

Quote:
Be cool if Block did a bit of rallycross testing in Europe (though I suspect the ERX regulars would run rings round him!)
LOL
Old 11 Dec 2011, 01:23 (Ref:2998252)   #48
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
GRX for Global Rallycross?
GRC = Global Rallycross Championship.
So GRXC would actually be what you prefer?
Old 11 Dec 2011, 11:40 (Ref:2998364)   #49
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I keep thinking that they should use GRX rather than GRC. It's more unique, more X Gamesy.

I hope that Latin Americans get all races live with Agulla and Pombo narrating.

That's very sensible, that helps to attract entries from those championships. At this point I'd try not to force teams to run just the GRX.

LOL
I concur, I wonder if we might see Liam race again. He's been doing some things in the USA with Monster and he's recently done a round in the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series. What would be cool to see would be Kenneth Hansen Motorsport enter the X games with two DS3's next year rather then just the one C4, but then I have no idea how much it would cost to do that.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 15:55 (Ref:2998438)   #50
USRallycross
Racer

United States
In 2011, the ERC spec engines were slightly higher than the GRC ones. Think that will change in 2012 given the new engine rules in the ERC. The higher output figures are for marketing purposes. Not as many purists here checking the facts!

Don't think any historic tracks will feature in 2013 as ESPN want to keep this in the streets as much as possible and learnt that the closer rallycross is to the X Games venue the better it is for sponsors and production logistics.

I am sure the FIA will take notice. But they will also recall the battle with CART in the early 1990's. American laws re restriction to work are very different from Europe and the FIA learnt that fighting the US could be very expensive and painful.

Roll on April 15 when the talking stops and we get the cars out. Not heard anything on Liam for RX but know the off-road guys love him! Did Citroen care that he won X Games?

Mark