Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 3 May 2001, 11:36 (Ref:88282)   #1
Paddock Spy
Rookie

Paddock Spy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mikola Out At Astromega

The word on the grapevine is that Ananda Mikola has lost his seat at Astromega. Who will replace him? Well, at present it is down to just two drivers. Kevin McGarrity and Dino Morelli. I understand from my sources that Astromega is set to test both drivers in readiness for the next race in Austria at the A1-Ring. I was only just asking what had become of McGarrity, the Irish snail, and here he pops up again. Let's hope he gets the Astromega drive as it will be very interesting to see how he compares against his old car that Enge now drives. If he does get the seat, and I am going to go out on a limb here (again, he will qualify between 15 - 20th. Let's see how good the Spy is this time!
Old 3 May 2001, 12:56 (Ref:88314)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I dont know much about mcGarrity at all ...but to see Dino Morelli back in a F3000 car would be good..im pretty sure it was him who crashed very heavily back in 1997 (forget the track) in a huge rainstorm and broke his legs badly...from what I have read he was pretty fast back then but I havent heard if he has done alot of racing since then if any at all.
Old 3 May 2001, 13:55 (Ref:88342)   #3
Paddock Spy
Rookie

Dino crashed at the Nurburgring breaking both legs. For a short time it looked as though he may have lost one of his feet. He can be very quick, but tends to get involved in lots of skirmishes which see him crash out of the race. Would be the better choice for Astromega.
Old 3 May 2001, 14:52 (Ref:88350)   #4
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paddock, weiard coincidence you were just talking about Mc Garrity huh...

I guess well see who the next driver will be pretty soon.

Too bad for poor Ananda who recently revamped his website:
http://www.ananda-mikola.com

no news there!
Old 3 May 2001, 14:54 (Ref:88351)   #5
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to agree with your assesment there Mr. Spy, though maybe Astromega are worried about their repair bills

Seriously though I'd have thought that the team would have been able to find a better replacement than McGarrity.
Old 3 May 2001, 17:13 (Ref:88396)   #6
Paddock Spy
Rookie

I too was thinking why have Astromega gone for either of these two drivers, but I did not want to say it too loud in case I brought down a rain of venom from some Dino fans. Neither driver has any money to bring to the team, so the only thing that I can think is that the team needs a driver who knows the circuits for Pantano to compare with. As shown by Fortec and KJR/Monaco, there are not too many drivers on the market at present, especially drivers with circuit knowledge. Another thing to consider is that no-one has said it is for the full season yet. Should be fun though, watching McGarrity wreck it around Monaco!
Old 3 May 2001, 18:11 (Ref:88429)   #7
JVA
Racer

JVA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mikola out is a good thing to do. He can't drive at that level!!

And J.Van Hooydonck??
Haven't he got a chance to drive for Astromega??
He is a Belgium driver and Astromega is a Belgium team.
Last year has M.Goossens driven for Astromega for de last four of five races. Perhaps he will come back?

Or will money will make the difference??
Old 4 May 2001, 09:40 (Ref:88761)   #8
Happy Hippo
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Happy Hippo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mikola -Wallfish

I can understand why Mikola and Astromega might break-up. After three races he hasn't proved much and he can't compete with Pantano. Sure it's only three races but I think the astromegaboys are thinking back to the "affaire Wallfisch" last year. He got lots a opportunities AND a new chassis and still didn't perform. This time they won't wait so long ,I think.
Possible replacements?
Marc Goossens (Astromega team confidence, talent and money): Always an opportunity if there's no one else.
Jeffrey van Hooydonck (Talent and -I think- money): but I don't know if Astromega has confidence in the young Belgian.
Heck, it could be everything If they bring they money Ananda Mikola brought AND have shown some talent OR have a lot of experience.
Old 4 May 2001, 22:11 (Ref:89036)   #9
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Morelli replaces Mikola at Astromega

Irishman returns to International F3000 fray

Dino Morelli will drive for the Astromega team in the remainder of this year's International Formula 3000 championship, replacing Ananda Mikola due to the Indonesian's lack of finance.

Mikola began his second season in F3000 this year after a lacklustre debut in 2000. The 21-year-old has failed to shine so far this year and much-needed sponsorship has been slow to materialise. Morelli will take over for the next round of the series at the A1-Rimg next weekend.

"I'm disappointed we couldn't see out the whole season with the crew we started with," said Astromega team boss Sam Boyle, "but the money was late and there was no sign when it would arrive. I rang Dino up to see what he was up to and said there was a possibility.

"It just so happened that he had found a budget. I think he's very good. He's had some unfortunate luck and has never been with one team for a sustained length of time. It will take him time but he should score points."

Morelli is no stranger to Formula 3000, but has not competed in the category since a massive accident at the Nurburgring while driving for the Ecurie Lauger team, when he broke both his legs. The Irishman has not driven for several months and competed in two races with the WRT team in Austria and Germany last year.

"It's been six or seven months since I've been in a car," said Morelli, "but I'm fitter than I was a couple of years ago. I've been hoping a sportscar deal was going to come off, but it didn't happen. I've been seriously ****ed off with the whole thing. Then Sam called."

Morelli almost signed with Astromega twice before, but the deal fell through on both occasions. In 1998 a lack of sponsorship scuppered any chances of a deal and he was due to replace Fabrice Walfisch the following year, but was overlooked in favour of F3000 race-winner Marc Goosens. Morelli sees this as a perfect opportunity.

"Once we knew the drive was on," he said, "we were able to sort it out. This is my big chance. I haven't had a fair crack since 1997."

Morelli will line up alongside last year's German Formula 3 Champion Giorgio Pantano.
Old 4 May 2001, 22:23 (Ref:89042)   #10
JVA
Racer

JVA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This isn't the good thing to do for Astromega, but Morelli will bring probably a lot of money with him.

Is this better then Mikola?? I doubt it.
Old 5 May 2001, 08:49 (Ref:89230)   #11
Paddock Spy
Rookie

So it's confirmed. Mikola is out at Astromega. Nice that we all read that news on F3000.com days before it was announced. Well done to Dany. Your first scoop of the year and there's plenty more to come. With regards to Dino bringing money to Astromega, I very much doubt it. Dino has always struggled for cash. What he will bring is circuit and car experience - something that Mikola never had.
Old 5 May 2001, 10:31 (Ref:89243)   #12
pv27uk
Racer

pv27uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Should be fun though, watching McGarrity wreck it around Monaco!
Was that the Monaco where Kevin drove to a solid fourth last year, pressurising Mark Webber so much that the Australian chucked it into the walls?

Is this better then Mikola?? I doubt it.
Yes. Definitely. Ananda has always seemed out of his depth, but I think Dino will do better. But I am a fan of Morelli, so I would say that..
Old 5 May 2001, 11:46 (Ref:89255)   #13
Paddock Spy
Rookie

NO - That was the Monaco where Raceprep Motorsports opted not to take Kevin as they were worried that he would destroy the car. The smae team that in the same season opted not to attend Pau for the same reason. The same team that threw in the towel when they realised that running McGarrity was an expensive folly!! Yes - he did do well at Monaco with Nordic, in the same car that he claimed was rubbish later in the season - the same car that Enge now wins races with!! Any more for any more?
Old 5 May 2001, 11:48 (Ref:89256)   #14
Paddock Spy
Rookie

Should have read not qualified at Monaco with Raceprep, opting not to attend Pau in fear of the damage.
Old 5 May 2001, 11:55 (Ref:89257)   #15
pv27uk
Racer

pv27uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry I ever spoke...
Old 5 May 2001, 13:52 (Ref:89291)   #16
Paddock Spy
Rookie

LOL pv27uk LOL. Sorry you spoke..LOL. You did not speak, you quoted. Just crossing the t's and dotting the i's. Anyways - Dino, I hope, will do well. He's been out of the game for a while. The trouble with a series like F3000 is that team's need points. The next round at the A1-ring is the fourth, which means we are already one third of our way into this year's championship. That is why I feel Dino has got the drive - to help Astromega gain points. Sure, he can be fast, but he can also be a little crazy, fighting for positions that carry no points. Time will tell.