Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 25 Oct 2009, 21:54 (Ref:2569646)   #1
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road New England

I'm back with a new track, Road New England.

It is a medium length circuit at around 2-2.5 miles long. Hope you guys like it. All comments are welcome as I always look for possible improvements.
Attached Thumbnails
rne1.png   rne2.png   rne3.png  

rne4.png   rne5.png   rne6.png  

Old 26 Oct 2009, 00:48 (Ref:2569729)   #2
MKTurismo
Rookie

United States
Great Lakes
MKTurismo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks really awesome! I'd definately be siked to take a lap around there. What program did you use to illustrate?
Old 26 Oct 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2570087)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like it.

The only alterations I'd suggest is the lengths of the pit entry and exit. The Entry could be placed between the penultimate and final corners, rather than before the penultimate.
And the pit exit could be positioned closer to the exit of T1, giving a bit more space before T2.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 14:45 (Ref:2570120)   #4
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's certainly an awesome track! I love it. Congrats!

bio
Old 26 Oct 2009, 20:17 (Ref:2570294)   #5
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always look forward to seeing your next track because they are all just so good. I love the simplicity of your designs. It never tries to do too much with the space. Very similar to Lime Rock Park in that respect. And of course, your presentation is 2nd to none. Nice Work!
Old 27 Oct 2009, 01:09 (Ref:2570449)   #6
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
love it!!

must be the mother of all organic circuits, that's certainly a talent!

I can only imagine laying some laps around it in my R1 in that absolutely flowing track, connecting every corner, trail braking like there's no tomorrow!! t13(?) looks scary!!! I imagine I can top out my Yammie and then she would want to push right but I wanna go left...huge cornering forces there!!!

ok...time to stop daydreaming...your track is a fix!!!!
Old 29 Oct 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2572259)   #7
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SBF- I thought about putting the pit entry to where you suggest. I extended it to before the last two corners for safety reasons. To keep cars from slowing to enter the pits on the racing line in the middle of the corner. The net result is a really long pit road. I kinda like this quirky set up though, it makes the pit road unique.

tlongman- Lime Rock is the only natural road course I've been to in real life to see a race at. My designs do tend to be influenced by it. Lime Rock is a perfect example of simplicity in circuit design. It only has really 6 corners, but all 6 combine to make a great track. It shows that more is not always better.

Some advice for those that want to make flowing organic circuits like RNE. Stay away from straight sections of track and hairpins. Small kinks and curves even if they are tiny add a lot to a circuit. Not all straights should be straight. Also corner radii should not always be constant.

I did go a little over the top with the structures for this track. I spent more time on the buildings, stands, and bridges than the actual circuit itself. When I started putting the bathrooms and concessions in I realized I had done enough. I might not go this detailed with a track ever again.

Here are some pictures of the structures.
Attached Thumbnails
rne1.png   rne2.png   rne3.png  

rne4.png   rne5.png   rne6.png  

Old 30 Oct 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2572718)   #8
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I did go a little over the top with the structures for this track. I spent more time on the buildings, stands, and bridges than the actual circuit itself. When I started putting the bathrooms and concessions in I realized I had done enough."

Exactly how i was with Sketchup back then - I actually included the neonlights and the door locks of the foyer leading to the medal podium... and some graffitis by the grand stand's emergency staircase

The graphics are, BTW, just awesome.

bio
Old 30 Oct 2009, 21:46 (Ref:2572734)   #9
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'd say that 2.5 miles is about right. That's long enough for the bigger machines/competitors to have some real fun, while still short enough not to be overwhelming for the smaller guys.

It looks like maybe 15 officially numbered corners, with 11 of those being of real consequence. Good elevation changes could really make this one a winner! For me, images of various portions of Road Atlanta, Mont Tremblant, and Brands Hatch are coming to mind.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 21:12 (Ref:2573153)   #10
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thumbs up!!!
Old 31 Oct 2009, 23:47 (Ref:2573196)   #11
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
woooaaahhh!!! The track itself is beutiful, and the buildings are just soo pretty! I want to drive round it

I wish that tracks like this were built these days, rather than that horrible Abu Dahbi track