Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 30 Apr 2001, 19:53 (Ref:87195)   #1
cool_runnings8
Racer

cool_runnings8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Press Release - Cresswell to Race in Club FPA

For immediate release

27th April 2001

GIDEON CRESSWELL TO RACE IN CLUB FORMULA PALMER AUDI

Former Formula Ford 1600 racer, Gideon Cresswell has signed to race in the 2001 Club Formula Palmer Audi Championship with backing from London-based computer software company, QAS Systems Ltd.

“I’m delighted to have signed up for this year’s Club Formula Audi,” said Cresswell. “I had planned on doing the full FPA championship this year but unfortunately, that wasn ’t to be. Having said that, Club FPA has all the makings of a great series and I don’t expect there to be that many differences between this championship and the championship FPA had originally planned to race.“

Cresswell starts the season with some experience in the formula, having competed in last year’s winter series. The Maidstone driver has previously enjoyed success in the Kent County Formula Ford championship and enjoyed an untroubled run to the1999 Formula Ford 1600 winter title.

“I had a bit of a tough time last year, despite holding my own against some of the more experienced drivers in the Kent County Championship the previous season,” he explains. “The Formula Palmer Audi winter series was a great experience though and made me more determined than ever to do a full season of competition in 2001.

“I’ve only raced three times in eighteen months due to funding problems, but as long as I can get some miles under my belt in the first few races and bank some points in the early rounds, I see no reason why I can’t start to challenge for race wins later in the year. At the very least, I’m looking for podium placings.”

QAS Systems is a private limited company established in 1990, with UK offices in London, Edinburgh,and Manchester. An expanding international presence now includes the USA, Australia and Europe.

"QAS are pleased to be sponsoring Gideon in this year's Formula Palmer Audi championship for what we are sure will be a highly successful year," commented Barney Craggs, UK Sales Director. “We wish Gideon all the best and hope all his hard work and dedication pay off."

About QAS Systems Ltd.

QAS are the developers of QuickAddress address management software. Based on data secured from national postal authorities, the QuickAddress system is marketed worldwide and will capture, maintain and enhance name and address records within any organisation and can be fully integrated into existing web sites. QAS work with a wide range of data suppliers to add value to existing address records, adding information such as business information, geodemographic profiling, and local media.

About Cresswell Racing Ltd.

Formed at the end of 2000 by Club FPA driver Gideon Cresswell and Fiesta racer Helen Moore to promote their respective motor racing careers, Cresswell Racing offer a cost efficient means of marketing through the dynamic medium of motorsport.

Cresswell Racing supply a range of packages, all of which may be tailored to suit specific company requirements. Every solution is designed to radically improve the visibility and effectiveness of a given organisation's marketing campaign through integrated promotional activities, corporate entertainment packages and high levels of prime media exposure.

<ENDS>

For more information, visit www.cresswellracing.com.

- - -
T: 07929 955235
E: press@cresswellracing.com
Old 1 May 2001, 09:42 (Ref:87458)   #2
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glad to see that Gideon has got a seat for this year, no chance he can be tempted back to tell us about it I suppose?
Old 1 May 2001, 14:42 (Ref:87553)   #3
Paddock Spy
Rookie

Paddock Spy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's just a shame that at the end of the season he will sit back and ask himself "what did I do that for?". If a guy can get a budget together I would have thought that any championship that will have coverage in the UK would be better than this one. I would imagine that even hill climbing events will get more space in Autosport after Mr Palmers little outburst.
Old 1 May 2001, 15:30 (Ref:87562)   #4
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mr. Spy (or can I call you Paddy ) perhaps you'd better read the thread about the cancellation of FPA to understand why.
Old 1 May 2001, 15:48 (Ref:87563)   #5
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have done CFPA if I could have got the money in time but I'm glad that Gideon has got in anyway. Its still a dam sight better value for money than say something like FRenault where you get ripped of stupid amounts, and unless your in a car with Manor on the side, you don't stand a chance!

Thats my opinion anyway so don't hold it against me

AndyR
Old 1 May 2001, 16:47 (Ref:87581)   #6
Gideon
Rookie

Gideon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm back - for a one time appearance only.... (for now..)

Thanks to those supporting me. And I won't be sitting back thinking "what did I do that for" because I have no reason to believe this is a bad idea.

I'll be on TV, local and Sky, I'll get coverage through the media (local as well as more importantly business magazines). I couldn't care if I was in Autosport. To my sponsor that is not that important. They want to sell their product and use the hospitality at the races to reward their staff. They would rather be seen in a business magazine which may directly get them a few more sales and then they can use the car image in an advert ir similar. Autosport will not give many companies involved in motorsport sponsorship (at lower levels) many sales. How many companies in lower formulae (that includes F3, FRenault & FFord) can you name and what they do??? Not many... Bigger high street names are only involved in F1 or Cart. Being in Autosport will only do me good for my image, but as I'm not looking for other sponsors or looking to be in the public eye as much as other drivers, it doesn't bother me. If I get in, it's a bonus. If I don't, it won't affect me too much.

And I get to race a competitive, fast car at a cheap price so I'm happy.
Old 1 May 2001, 19:13 (Ref:87641)   #7
farcnield

Just right!! It would have tempted me back into the racing seat again at the price, just too busy though!! Go for it!!!

Farc.

Old 1 May 2001, 19:58 (Ref:87663)   #8
Paddock Spy
Rookie

Sure, you will get a chance to race a fast and competitive car. I just hope, for your sake, that this does not go the same way as it's defunct big brother. That series was blighted by the constant suggestions that those with the money got what they needed. Better cars. Let's hope this Palmer venture is different!
Old 2 May 2001, 09:16 (Ref:87891)   #9
Marshal
Veteran

Thanks for replying Gideon, and I hope that you find the time to drop in here now and again. I know some of our members disagreed with points you made, but there wouldn't be much discussion without disagreement . We *generally* manage to discuss in an adult and respectful way, if some people went a little far, I'd like to think the intention wasn't to deliberately upset you.

I hope you have a great year and all the concerns that have been mentioned regarding FPA are groundless. Good luck and see you around.
Old 7 May 2001, 17:14 (Ref:89918)   #10
Gideon
Rookie

Gideon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Errrr...So where do I start? Just to let you all know, the first 2 Club Formula palmer Audi races have just taken part today and I came away with a win in the first race and a 5th in the second (after starting 8th). And also I'm leading the championship at the moment.... Can't say that I am thinking at the moment "what did I do that for?".....

Also, I can't say I paid any more than the others to get into a winning position either cos I didn't!

Cu

http://www.gideoncresswell.com
Old 7 May 2001, 18:33 (Ref:89937)   #11
Paddock Spy
Rookie

Gideon! What can I say aside from well done. You find me holding my head in shame for ever doubting you and your fine driving skills. However, I must ask just one question. Who took the jam out of your donut? I was simply making an "observed" comment on the state of FPA and you have taken it as a direct attack on you. Sorry - it was not meant to be so and if I have offended you then I can only apologise.
Given that, how was Brands Hatch today? Good I trust. And I hope that the 120 members of the public that attended enjoyed it as well. To see you rise from your qualifying position of fifth to take the lead when the leading four cars all found themselves spinning or crashing out in front of you must have been well worth the £10 entrance fee. Then, to watch you move up from 8th on the grid to take fifth at the flag was, no-doubt, the highlight of their day. Just a thought as your post was so "selective". Good luck with the remainder of the season.
Old 7 May 2001, 22:04 (Ref:90007)   #12
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paddock Spy, anyone who can drive a racing car of any type on the limit and win deservers more recognition that what youre dishing out to Gideon just.

Well Done mate! Keep up the good work!!

AndyR
Old 7 May 2001, 22:41 (Ref:90022)   #13
Paddock Spy
Rookie

I'm sorry - I thought this forum dealt with F3000?
Old 8 May 2001, 09:10 (Ref:90109)   #14
Marshal
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Paddock Spy
I'm sorry - I thought this forum dealt with F3000?
Indeed it does Mr. Spy, but it also deals with any other Junior Formula that you might want to talk about, so if you have any insights in Barber Pro or ADAC Formula BMW, they're welcome here too.

I'm guessing that you have come to this sight through DanFlag's excellent F3000.com, which explains why you might be a bit supprised to see discussion on FPA here, but the chat boards here at 10-tenths, cover a wide variety of topics, so don't feel restricted

PS - well done Gideon, so long as you are happy (and winning) that's the main thing, good luck for the rest of the year.
Old 8 May 2001, 11:22 (Ref:90153)   #15
cool_runnings8
Racer

cool_runnings8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For immediate release
May 08, 2001

CRESSWELL WINS AT BRANDS HATCH

Maidstone’s Gideon Cresswell claimed the lead of the all-new, Club Formula Palmer Audi Championship at Brands Hatch on Bank Holiday Monday with a superb victory in race one.

QUALIFYING

Race 1: 5th 1:27.144 Race 2: 8th 1:27.408

On a dry but cold track, Cresswell took fifth on the grid in the first of two qualifying sessions. Despite a titanic, five-car battle for pole, he stormed onto the third row in the dying minutes of the qualifying heat.

Although the challenging Brands Grand Prix circuit stayed dry, problems with traffic in a tight second session saw the QAS Systems backed driver drop three places to eighth for race two.

RACE 1

Under clear skies, Cresswell made a fantastic start from the third row to pass Steven Young on the grid and pole sitter, Rob Lofting on the outside of Paddock Hill Bend. Settling into a comfortable third spot, Cresswell set about chasing down the lead duo of Richard Meaden and Gino Ussi.

An intriguing game of cat-and-mouse saw Cresswell close up through the super-fast Hawthorn and Westfield corners, while the leaders were able to pull away along the pit straight. However, slight understeer problems at Clearways in the closing stages allowed fourth placed man, Steve Warburton close enough to try an ultimately unsuccessful passing manoeuvre using the unique FPA boost button.

Out at the front, second placed Ussi dived up the inside of race leader, Meaden at Surtees on lap nine. When the two cars touched and lost momentum, Cresswell was able to sneak through into the race lead- hotly pursued by the ever-present Warburton- and quickly built an insurmountable advantage.

“I went into the last lap with a healthy lead,” said Cresswell. “I knew by Dingle Dell that I could win the race, so I took a careful line into Clearways allowing me to get the power down early on the exit. Although Steve closed up on the run to the flag, I felt comfortable in the lead. I’m overjoyed to win the first ever Club Formula Palmer Audi race!”

RACE 2

Once again, Cresswell launched himself off of the grid to pass two cars on the approach to Paddock Hill Bend. Up to sixth, he immediately set off in pursuit of the escaping fifth placed man, Steven Young. Cresswell, Young and the chasing Howard Spooner were then locked together in an immense three-way battle for fourth. With only one lap remaining, Cresswell pulled off a stunning move on the outside at Paddock Hill Bend, to claim fifth.

While Young struggled at Clearways with understeer, the hard charging Cresswell sacrificed his entry by approaching in third gear, giving him a much stronger exit and allowing him to close on Young into Paddock. A quick exit from Sterlings on the penultimate lap saw Cresswell’s number three FPA machine nose to tail with Young for the remainder of the lap. When Cresswell sailed past under-breaking on the outside at Paddock Hill, he carved two seconds out of fourth-placed Warburton’s five-second advantage and promptly set his fastest lap of the race.

“I’m very happy with the way things went this weekend,” said Cresswell. “To be leading the championship at this stage in the season is a great feeling.”

<Ends>

For more information, visit www.cresswellracing.com

- - -
T: 07929 955235
E: press@cresswellracing.com