Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 19 Jul 2016, 18:20 (Ref:3659633)   #1
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What if we still raced at Brooklands?

Imagine if Vickers hadn't bought Brooklands after WW2, and racing had been revived to it's pre-war glory days. Imagine if the site had been developed through the decades into the UK's premier Motorsport facility, and Europe's best, fastest Oval, rivalling Daytona and Talladega for speed and scale.

Imagine if the NASCAR circus had a mid-season tour of Europe, Visiting Brooklands, Rockingham, Monza Oval, EuroSpeedway Lausitz and Montlhéry Autodrome?

...one can have dreams.
Attached Thumbnails
brooklands.png   brooklands config.png  
Old 19 Jul 2016, 19:27 (Ref:3659641)   #2
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG View Post
Imagine if the NASCAR circus had a mid-season tour of Europe, Visiting Brooklands, Rockingham, Monza Oval, EuroSpeedway Lausitz and Montlhéry Autodrome?
Let's not forget Sitges-Terramar. There are a few ovals in other parts of the world, too, such as Calder Park Thunderdome near Melbourne, Australia, and the Rafaela oval in Argentina, which might probably be the least safe oval in the world (despite several chicanes per lap) which is still hosting motorsport events.

It's a good idea for a thread on this forum. Please keep the modernized oval classics coming. Didn't the orignal Brooklands have a dogleg like Trenton, too?

Your design is a very nice irregular oval. It reminds me of a mix of the concepts from Motegi and the Mickyard, but much faster.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 20:52 (Ref:3659659)   #3
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Issue: The first corner on the road courses appears to be a fairly tight irregular bus stop chicane.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 21:29 (Ref:3659667)   #4
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Let's not forget Sitges-Terramar. There are a few ovals in other parts of the world, too, such as Calder Park Thunderdome near Melbourne, Australia, and the Rafaela oval in Argentina, which might probably be the least safe oval in the world (despite several chicanes per lap) which is still hosting motorsport events.

It's a good idea for a thread on this forum. Please keep the modernized oval classics coming. Didn't the orignal Brooklands have a dogleg like Trenton, too?

Your design is a very nice irregular oval. It reminds me of a mix of the concepts from Motegi and the Mickyard, but much faster.
I don't know much about ovals in Europe or other countries around the world, I like Sitges-Terramar, I couldn't believe how steep the banking was!

I did straighten the backwards dogleg, it's quite hard to tell where it lies from modern aerial photography. Perhaps the old dogleg could be the pits, with a new "straight" start/finish straight in front of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
Issue: The first corner on the road courses appears to be a fairly tight irregular bus stop chicane.
Yeah it looks a little weird. I rushed this a bit and it probably needs a bit of tweaking, but it's really only a sketch of my ideas, I didn't spend too much time on it. Anyone else have ideas for modernised ovals?
Old 22 Jul 2016, 01:43 (Ref:3660059)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How about the Longcross Oval, complete with dogleg, and only 5 miles from Brooklands.
Currently housing a film studio.
Attached Thumbnails
longcross.jpg  
Old 22 Jul 2016, 14:16 (Ref:3660147)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It would be nice to have a European NASCAR race series if the tracks that were mentioned in the first post had survived
Old 22 Jul 2016, 21:56 (Ref:3660226)   #7
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It would be nice to have a European NASCAR race series if the tracks that were mentioned in the first post had survived
There sort of is. http://hometracks.nascar.com/series/whelen-euro-series
Old 23 Jul 2016, 10:24 (Ref:3660295)   #8
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
How about the Longcross Oval, complete with dogleg, and only 5 miles from Brooklands.
Currently housing a film studio.
Is there enough space between the M3 motorway and the front stretch to fit in a grandstand?

I would call that an S, not a dogleg. Wow, an oval with an S! It cannot get any more wild than this (and the original Fuji Speedway).
Old 27 Jul 2016, 21:17 (Ref:3661532)   #9
MegaJK97
Rookie

Germany
Mecklenburg-West Pomerania
MegaJK97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great idea to race at Longcross!
Thought about some track concepts, what do you think about it?
The area could be used as a festival area like the Nürburgring is home of "Rock am Ring", a Rock festival located at the Nürburgring.
Attached Thumbnails
Brooklands Longcross Circuit.jpg  
Old 28 Jul 2016, 20:08 (Ref:3661706)   #10
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys,
Daytona and Talladega are awesome feats of engineering, but they are just too fast for racing. NASCAR has run air restrictors there since 1988. They tested without a " restrictor plate" in 2004, Rusty Wallace clocked 228 mph, with an average lap of 221 mph.
Talladega is only open two weekends a year with a total of five races in four classes.

Brooklands at 2.75 miles and 30' banking would be in the same boat.

NASCAR Cup series won't even go to Canada or Mexico, Indycar used to come here but is struggling at the moment. There is no chance of any meaningful European superspeedway racing in the near future.

NASCAR Euroseries is not likely to race at any of the tracks listed any time soon. Neither the cars nor the drivers are up to superspeedway racing, although this may change with time.

NASCAR Euroseries does race at two European ovals, Venray in The Netherlands is a 0.55 mile banked oval, with a 1/4 mile oval inside it.
Tours in France has a 1/3 mile oval in a converted carpark.
Lydden Hill in Kent, England has a 600 metre oval.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-wkAb2UlCo
Attached Thumbnails
raceway-venray-2.jpg   tours-speedway-internationnal.jpg   2000px-Lydden_Hill_Race_Circuit_track_map_svg.png  

Last edited by Number4; 28 Jul 2016 at 20:15.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 22:12 (Ref:3661734)   #11
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post

Not to mention Maroubra, Sydney (damn...I mentioned it!)

http://www.vintagespeedway.com/Maroubra.html
Old 28 Jul 2016, 22:13 (Ref:3661735)   #12
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
And the AVUS.

Mexico has plenty of ovals. Some are very odd, with tight corners or huge slopes.
Old 4 Aug 2016, 15:31 (Ref:3663440)   #13
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
And the AVUS.

Mexico has plenty of ovals. Some are very odd, with tight corners or huge slopes.
To be honest, I would not consider the AVUS an oval at all. Even though it used to be consisting of straights connected with banked corners, it's been very much a different kind of beast. And a beast it surely was.