Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Closed Thread

Old 16 Dec 2002, 01:15 (Ref:450767)   #301
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pretty good Lee. Probably the shortest ever Lee Janotta design!

I also like the little esses section before the final turn.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 04:12 (Ref:450806)   #302
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks mac, I remember you rather liked that layout the first time I posted it!

It's a classic American drag & return... Not the classiest track, but it's got an NHRA-legal 1/4-mile drag strip, which can be run idependantly of the short "East Circuit". Karting and autocross can be held in the VIP parking lot, which is paved, as opposed to the gravel in the other two lots. Karts can also run in either paddock.

Most importantly, though, the track'll give CART a decent Chicago venue, and area racers someplace a lot closer that Blackhawk Farms for drag and club racing.

The grandstands give some decent views, but the best viewing is on the small mounds built around the East Circuit. Just find a nice spot sitting under a tree, watching the cars go by all day.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 16 Dec 2002 at 04:16.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 10:22 (Ref:450972)   #303
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh, that's that one. The one where I tried to convince you to put a hairpin where turn 1 is now.

Yep - still like it.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 18:32 (Ref:451306)   #304
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Zakara

I feel this is my 2nd best track
Attached Thumbnails
zakara.jpg  
Old 16 Dec 2002, 18:43 (Ref:451312)   #305
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Mmm... Rather looks like Magny Cours...
Old 21 Dec 2002, 06:22 (Ref:454726)   #306
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Y'know, we really need a PC game with a top class track editor tool that we can exchange tracks on... That'd rock some serious socks you know... (Oh, there's one on Linux but it's fairly hard core to use...)
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 03:29 (Ref:455911)   #307
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Okay, remember the first track I posted, that Denver one? Well here's an attempt to correct that horrible blunder. This track's located just outside of Golden, Colorado. It's abou 5 miles in length, and like the Nurburgring or Clermont-Ferrand, is a huge challenge to drive as it dips and climbs along ridges and thru gulleys. Also features a drag strip.
Attached Thumbnails
denver.jpg  
Old 23 Dec 2002, 05:53 (Ref:455960)   #308
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone seen details for redevelopment of the Centennial Park circuit in Taupo, New Zealand?

The existing circuit is here:
http://www.motorsport.org.nz/images/Taupo.jpg

It's a nice club track, but at 1.4km, a bit small. The new plan is to widen and extend the track to 3.4km with a main straight of 845 metres and 18 corners. The track will also be the site of a new business park for motorsport and associated companies. The new track, is to be designed in consultation with former Formula One driver Chris Amon.

The plan seems to have the support of local groups including the Taupo District Council - anyone seen any pictures/plans?
Old 23 Dec 2002, 09:45 (Ref:456007)   #309
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, but it's good news Alfa. Only wish WA could get a decent track soon, Wannaroo is just too small and the next one needs to be a bit south of the city to make it easier to get access to a track for everyone.

As for that last track of yours Lee, that would be one absolutely awesome drive. I could see it being just awesome for roadcar club events.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 25 Dec 2002, 09:48 (Ref:457148)   #310
mac
Veteran

Here's a little Christmas track for you all - Bronson Park.

It contains 2 definite passing spots at turns 1 and 6.

The highlights are the fast sections through turns 2, 3, 4 and 5, and 7, 8, 9 and 10. Turn 12 would also be good.

What are your thoughts?

PS. Merry Christmas!!!!
Attached Images

Old 25 Dec 2002, 15:23 (Ref:457210)   #311
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Cripes, who moved this thread after... 5 months?! Yipes!

Looks good, Mac! Lots of fast and medium-fast corners in the first part.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 25 Dec 2002 at 15:24.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 20:10 (Ref:457771)   #312
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why has this thread bean moved to 'trackside'?

Its better in 'Graveltrap', where I will remember to post my tracks.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 06:03 (Ref:457972)   #313
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Hey Mac, you didn't comment on my new Colorado track.... Don't like it?

This isn't a new track, or even much of a modification... It's just a pet project of mine. Mid-America Raceway, near St. Louis, Missouri, opened in 1965 with a drag strip and a road course of 2.86 miles. It came from the same fast, open design school as other great tracks like Watkins Glen, and the since legendary but plowed-under Riverside, Buttonwillow, Continental Divide, Bridgehamption, and countless other tracks built in this country in the '50s and '60s. It hosted countless amateur and professional road races, including Can-Am, Trans-Am and F5000.

In the early 1980s, a feud between the track owner and the St. Louis SCCA region meant the end of road racing at the track. Since then, it has remained a successful drag racing venue. While the majestic road course has fallen into disrepair, it still remains, it's cracked pavement still bravely defying time and nature.

My hope is that increasing awareness of this jewel of a track might lead to a VIR/Mont Tremblant-style restoration of the facility, which I believe could be brought back to international standards without much difficulty (a full, slightly wider repaving would be needed, though).

There are lots of photos here:
http://www.geocities.com/procrast_race/mar_main.html
Attached Thumbnails
untitled3.jpg  

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 27 Dec 2002 at 06:07.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 06:14 (Ref:457974)   #314
Lee Janotta
Veteran

BTW, the track looks deceptively flat from overhead. It's really got a lot of elevation changes, including a downright evil climb uphill in turn 1.

This shot illustrates from of that. It's from the middle of turn 6, looking back at turn 5. Photo is from September of 1981:
Attached Thumbnails
mar45.jpg  
Old 27 Dec 2002, 10:07 (Ref:458039)   #315
mac
Veteran

Sorry Lee, I actually missed it.

I think it would be very busy - perhaps a little like some of mine.

That last turn, as well as the esses after the first turn look great.

I'd make one little change though. Where the long course meets the short course, I'd remove the little chicaney bit. Let that bit of track run straight ahead, until it meets up with the short course. There I would create a 90 degree right-hander. This would combine with the left-hander to make an esses section, and provide a passing alternative to turn 1.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 15:58 (Ref:458932)   #316
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Thanks mac... It is rather busy, but in the old style, with the turns dictated by the terrain.

Consider also that it's 5 miles in length, so those turns are spread out quite a bit.

The chicane is there to provide a passing spot, but I suppose we'd have to see the actual site to figure which would be better for passing.

Does anyone know where I can find satellite photos of Canada or Australia?

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 28 Dec 2002 at 15:59.
Old 1 Jan 2003, 08:44 (Ref:461437)   #317
mac
Veteran

No idea, Lee.

Here is my first track for 2003.

It has often been wondered about whether a Northern European (I'm talking Scandinavia etc. here) Grand Prix would be feasible. Well, here's my proposal for such a race.

It involves the upgrading of the Anderstorp circuit in Sweden.

The first turn has been turned into 2 corners, providing a better passing spot at turn 1. The next hairpin remains the same.

After the following straight, instead of the Mickey Mouse tight left - long right - tight left, I have thrown in a fast left-right esses section, followed by a medium-speed right, then a fastish double apex left to the next long hairpin leading onto the back straight.

The back straight has been lengthened, and a tighter corner added, creating a better passing opportunity. This extension makes for a faster final turn and entry onto the main straight.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 1 Jan 2003, 15:59 (Ref:461563)   #318
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Well, it's a good track design on it's own, but you know how strongly I feel about the preservation of historic cicuits.

Anderstorp's out in the middle of nowhere anyways. You'd be better off with something in the suburbs of Helsinki.

On the design itself... Hmm... The new turn one would help with passing. The so-called "Mickey Mouse" section, though, is really a signature of the track, and I don't see a couple of medium-speed corners are much better.
Old 1 Jan 2003, 19:39 (Ref:461646)   #319
mac
Veteran

The old turns 3-4-5 section doesn't particularly add much to the circuit IMO.

That left-right esses section is very fast, BTW.
Old 2 Jan 2003, 19:40 (Ref:462239)   #320
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Speaking of airport tracks in Scandinavia, here's one I based on a small commuter airport near Helsinki. It's be great for F1 cars, but it's not up to F1 standards, despite the fact that it's already got paved runoff areas. Fantastic for sports cars, GTs, Touring Cars, and F3000 or lower, though.

Extremely fast, very safe... Somewhere between 4 and 4.5 miles.

The most exciting parts are the extremely fast 45 degree kinks at turns 8 and 9. The fastest way to set up your car is to barely take them flat out. You can make up a massive amount of time if you drop back from the guy you're following just a little, get a good launch out of 7, take 8 and 9 WFO, and try to pass at the turn 10 hairpin.
Attached Thumbnails
finlandgp.jpg  
Old 4 Jan 2003, 12:24 (Ref:463488)   #321
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mac: Interesting changes to Anderstorp. Nice to see the pits have been moved from their current location.

Here is my latest. Its another street track (yet to have confidence to design a road track. This one is called Belmay.
Attached Thumbnails
belmay.jpg  
Old 12 Jan 2003, 21:57 (Ref:472459)   #322
mac
Veteran

Haven't put any new tracks up for a while, so I will put a couple up this week.

The first is Bungan Raceway.

This track features 1.5 passing spots, and is quite twisty. Except for the long, very fast section after turn 2.

What are your thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 12 Jan 2003, 21:59 (Ref:472461)   #323
mac
Veteran

The second track for the week is Burns Bay Raceway. This track also has 1.5 passing opportunities. And aside from the tight, tricky section in the middle, is a fast track.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 14 Jan 2003, 23:12 (Ref:474561)   #324
Lee Janotta
Veteran

I still want to know who put this thread in Trackside, it's gotten almost zero attention since then. Needs to be moved back!

Mmm... They just seem a little forced this time, Mac. The slow sections seem to be there just to fill space.

The fast corners on Bungan look good, but I'd rather see them lead into a straight, then a hard right that'd allow for some passing.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 06:56 (Ref:474792)   #325
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Okay, this is just a lightly modified verson of the Albert Park circuit in Melbourne.

Turn one becomes very tight, making it a better passing zone. You accelerate flat out thru turn two.

Turn 3 stays the same, but now cars go right up to the inside barrier thru turn 4, rather than being held in the middle of that car park by artificial curbs. More speed, more runoff, more visual reference points.

The back of the course will now be taken absolutely flat out, making for a spectactularly fast run. Turn 9 is a quick kink onto an existing piece of road than connect to the exit of turn 10.

Like turn 4, turns 11 and 12 will have their artificial curbing removed, allowing drivers to run right up to the barrier, making them a super-fast, foot-to-the-floor left-right combo.

Turn 13, as a result, becomes an absolute panic stop. But there's a huge runoff area there, so it's not a problem. The spectators in the stands at that turn will likely see _lots_ of overtaking, lock-up, and drivers overshooting the corner.

Turn 15, I wanted to turn into a true hairpin, which makes turn 16 a long constant-radius turn.

Aside from the changes to turn 15 and 16, you should be able to run the course just like this in a game. Try it going thru 15 and 16 flat out, right against the wall, and tell me that doesn't give you chills.
Attached Thumbnails
picture 4.jpg