Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 30 Aug 2014, 17:07 (Ref:3449094)   #1001
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gorgeous car
Old 31 Aug 2014, 21:48 (Ref:3449348)   #1002
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Great stuff Alex!! What is the owner going to run it in next year? Some Peter Auto abd maybe UK stuff?
Old 17 Sep 2014, 18:48 (Ref:3454429)   #1003
vap
Rookie

vap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Alex,like your pictures ,but can't inlarge them but I 'll find a way,do you have any of the interior ,engine and rear fueltank,did you leave the alu rollcage or did you install a metal one,have you had the engine on a dyno yet? sorry for all the questions ,but I'm getting closer to starting to restore mine
Old 17 Sep 2014, 20:46 (Ref:3454462)   #1004
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schnitzer 635

The car has been left as original as possible, alloy cage etc...still remain. So it will not be doing any more serious racing, in the foreseeable future anyway...
VAP, which car do you have ? Are you restoring it to race ?
Alex
Old 18 Sep 2014, 08:08 (Ref:3454596)   #1005
vap
Rookie

, Hi Alex,I have ra2-075 from schnitzer it was built in 1985 it has the same fuel tank as yours does yours have electric window or reg.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 04:38 (Ref:3476045)   #1006
WilliamR
Rookie

New Zealand
NELSON
WilliamR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Hodges View Post
Hi JPS you obviously own Hugh Tunleys old car, i did some time with JPS Racing in the 6 era, i can remember 2 /3 of those promo cars. Frank, Jim and Neville used them as road cars occasonaly. There is another one in NZ it was owened by the late Kelly Tarlton, and i think his wife still owns it. We would love to see your car stay in the BMW Car Club New Zealand ranks.
Gerry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
JPS,
RA2-66 was the first of them, the other chassis used as road cars were 67-68-69-70 & 71.
Alex
Greetings Forum followers,
It has been gratifying and informative for me to discover this discussion thread on the E24 RA1 and RA2 cars. I have some information which may be of interest.
I have an E24 RA2-68.
The owner's manual has a BMW Australia stamp and it was first registered in NZ by BMW NZ in May 1985 with 25km on the odometer.
It was then registered to the Executive Director of Lion Nathan Ltd, then transferred to that firm with 44,000km.
It passed to a private Auckland owner in 1991, from whom I purchased it in 1995 at 127,000km.
It is my first, and only car (I'm inclined to move by motorcycle).
It has now covered 231,000km and its last adventure was the 2000km round trip from Nelson to the Highlands 101 in Cromwell earlier this month.

1985 BMW 635CSi, E24 RA2-68, RHD, 5-Speed Manual,
Polaris Metallic. Fully optioned with red leather Recaro upholstery.

The car is pictured resting by Lake Wanaka.
Attached Thumbnails
20141107_111525 - Copy (Small).jpg  
Old 1 Jan 2015, 17:57 (Ref:3489231)   #1007
vap
Rookie

I would like to wish everyone here a Happy New Year for 2015 and may this forum keep going strong,I hope to finally get started on restoring nr 75 this year
Old 14 Jan 2015, 13:14 (Ref:3492746)   #1008
FLORENT MOULIN
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
FLORENT MOULIN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vap View Post
I would like to wish everyone here a Happy New Year for 2015 and may this forum keep going strong,I hope to finally get started on restoring nr 75 this year
Happy new year ! a health, happy and fast 2015 !

Florent
Old 16 Apr 2015, 20:00 (Ref:3528049)   #1009
vap
Rookie

just in case it's not on record I spoke to a gentleman in belgium that said he had just sold chassis nr 049 in belgium the car just finished a race in vallalunga last month the peter auto series you can also see a video of the car on you tube under bmw e24 on dyno with dynatek,does anyone know more history of this car
Old 26 Jul 2016, 09:47 (Ref:3661258)   #1010
loulou21
Rookie

loulou21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Franck Sytner RA1-22

Hello folks, maybe this link should clarify the Sytner Morton history of RA1-22 :
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/802...7606882601980/
Old 5 Dec 2016, 21:46 (Ref:3693991)   #1011
Graham Clayton
Racer

Australia
South Windsor, NSW Australia
Graham Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here are over 240+ pictures of Group A 635's from around the world:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/cg/62...i-Group-A.html
Old 6 Dec 2016, 14:38 (Ref:3694189)   #1012
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Clayton View Post
Here are over 240+ pictures of Group A 635's from around the world:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/cg/62...i-Group-A.html
Hmmm, very interesting. Thanks for the link.
Old 10 Dec 2016, 08:08 (Ref:3695101)   #1013
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RA1-08 sold last month for 162,400 Euros

http://www.rmsothebys.com/tv16/duemi...roup-a/1087313
Old 22 Jan 2017, 11:48 (Ref:3704224)   #1014
Ozibimmer
Rookie

Australia
Gold Coast
Ozibimmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys
This is my Replica Schnitzer I own.
I live on the Gold Coast of Australia and just want to thank you guys for all the information you send out.
It has been a 3 year build from a LHD to a RHD and road registered, Then converted back to LHD and lots of money later she has a Schnitzer motor and 90% accurate to the car I intended her to be.
Still lots to do but its getting there.
Kind regards
Addam smith
Owner
BMWrecking Gold Coast
Attached Thumbnails
20161203_104137.jpg   20161203_104151.jpg   11266152_881490148590234_6116962502717690875_o.jpg  

Old 25 Jan 2017, 09:48 (Ref:3704934)   #1015
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozibimmer View Post
Hi Guys
This is my Replica Schnitzer I own.
I live on the Gold Coast of Australia and just want to thank you guys for all the information you send out.
It has been a 3 year build from a LHD to a RHD and road registered, Then converted back to LHD and lots of money later she has a Schnitzer motor and 90% accurate to the car I intended her to be.
Still lots to do but its getting there.
Kind regards
Addam smith
Owner
BMWrecking Gold Coast
Thankyou for posting that's a very nice looking replica Adam
Old 29 May 2017, 13:13 (Ref:3737120)   #1016
vap
Rookie

good afternoon to everyone here,hoping to find some info ,I just found someone who has a schnitzer 635 group a for sale ra2-079 does anyone know anything about its history thanks for any help
Old 12 Jun 2017, 03:44 (Ref:3740396)   #1017
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have the good fortune to now own the Charlie O'Brien 635.

I have read this excellent thread but I have some questions about the UK 635's hopefully you can help me with.

1. It is said that the only 2 RHD cars were built by CC Motorsport. Were they delivered from BMW as RHD or did CC convert them from LHD to RHD.

2. When CC30 was re-shelled to CC31 after the Woodman crash at Donington on 25/3/84? what was the identity of the new chassis. I presume it must have been a LHD car converted to RHD, if there were only 2 RHD cars in the first place.

3. Where was the CC chassis number stamped, or was it a plate (PM welcome if necessary).

4.RA2-46. Is there any information from BMW sources when this chassis was delivered to Ted Grace. One entry in the thread says 31.1.85, another 1984. Is there information from BMW to say whether RHD or LHD on delivery

5. Barrie Williams crashed the Sytner 635 at Silverstone on 9.9.84. As mentioned in the thread pictures show it to be LHD. Gerry Hodges says he was told by Ted Grace, and I have absolutely no reason to doubt what he says, that the car sat around for a while and was rebuilt into the Barrie Williams Group N car and that it was #46. When Gerry had the car it was RHD, so was it was converted to RHD when rebuilt into the Group N car or later. Or was it RHD originally. I will also ask Gerry.

6. Has the missing RA2-62 red chassis been found yet. Is there any information from BMW sources when this chassis was delivered to CC Motorsport and if it was LHD. I may have some information on this chassis.

I have a few other questions but that will do for the moment

drbob
Old 14 Jun 2017, 09:51 (Ref:3741131)   #1018
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post
I have the good fortune to now own the Charlie O'Brien 635.

I have read this excellent thread but I have some questions about the UK 635's hopefully you can help me with.

1. It is said that the only 2 RHD cars were built by CC Motorsport. Were they delivered from BMW as RHD or did CC convert them from LHD to RHD.

2. When CC30 was re-shelled to CC31 after the Woodman crash at Donington on 25/3/84? what was the identity of the new chassis. I presume it must have been a LHD car converted to RHD, if there were only 2 RHD cars in the first place.

3. Where was the CC chassis number stamped, or was it a plate (PM welcome if necessary).

4.RA2-46. Is there any information from BMW sources when this chassis was delivered to Ted Grace. One entry in the thread says 31.1.85, another 1984. Is there information from BMW to say whether RHD or LHD on delivery

5. Barrie Williams crashed the Sytner 635 at Silverstone on 9.9.84. As mentioned in the thread pictures show it to be LHD. Gerry Hodges says he was told by Ted Grace, and I have absolutely no reason to doubt what he says, that the car sat around for a while and was rebuilt into the Barrie Williams Group N car and that it was #46. When Gerry had the car it was RHD, so was it was converted to RHD when rebuilt into the Group N car or later. Or was it RHD originally. I will also ask Gerry.

6. Has the missing RA2-62 red chassis been found yet. Is there any information from BMW sources when this chassis was delivered to CC Motorsport and if it was LHD. I may have some information on this chassis.

I have a few other questions but that will do for the moment

drbob
Bob wow, congratulation on such an excellent purchase. Very envious! Are you going to take it back to original CC colours silver/white/black?

if I may add what I believe I know which may or may not have been posted already. Dave Cook himself recently joined and I will see If I can get him to come on and share what he recalls from the period.

1/ 2 cars delivered by BMW works as RHD and CC did the rest from there. They also had the ex Eggenberger car (alledged to be the works prototype from 1982/83) as a spare and test car. I think that this car was a factory 'loaner' and R&D car originally.

2/ Need top check if the spare car test car became CC31....Or whether a brand new shell was sourced and put on the repaired chassis of #30.
To reiterate all of the CC stock was purchased by Sytner (or was he just the agent even?) which he then used/sold on over the next few months including your car drbob.

3/ If the Capris are anything to go by, the plate was at the front of the engine bay (forgive amateur terminology!)

4/ Below may well be relevant

5/ The problem with the theory of the crashed TT Sytner car being rebuilt into Whizzo Wiliams's prodsaloon car is that Whizzo's prodsaloon was already in existence before the TT crash took place... Although it might be significant that Whizzo himself had a major crash at Oulton Park in August, so could a replacement car have been cobbled together from both wrecks in Autumn '84?

6/ No news on this, still.

Hope that helps, I will pm Dave Cook now and ask him to join us.

Last edited by chunterer; 12 Feb 2018 at 13:05.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 08:51 (Ref:3742123)   #1019
drbob
Racer

Thanks for that Chunterer
I think the spare CC car was the one that went to NZ and was the Crosby-Lorimer - McKellar car

I will initially put it back into O'Brien yellow Bumpa T Bumpa livery as I will race it here in Oz before taking it to the UK for some historic racing (big maybe).

I have started sanding down some of the paintwork. There are many layers of paint which include the O'Brien yellow and the State Coal red. There is also the silver/black- or is that dark dark grey, present on area of the left rear guard.

But most interesting of all is that its first colour was RED. Perhaps the #62 chassis. And it was a LHD shell converted to RHD by the time Charlie bought it in 1985. I am seeing Charlie O'Brien with the car in a couple of weeks and no doubt will have more information on its early history

drbob
Old 16 Jun 2017, 11:57 (Ref:3742169)   #1020
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post
I will initially put it back into O'Brien yellow Bumpa T Bumpa livery as I will race it here in Oz before taking it to the UK for some historic racing (big maybe)
Which Bumpa to Bumpa livery drbob?

or..

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Jun 2017, 12:05 (Ref:3742173)   #1021
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The other side of Bathurst 1985..

She's not as pretty as a State Coal car..

The image of the '86 Bumpa to Bumpa car isn't the same chassis, it's LHD..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Jun 2017, 07:35 (Ref:3742462)   #1022
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

All very interesting info.

If your shell is the red RA62 Drbob then that suggests that it must have been delivered to CC much earlier in 1984 for race prep than our earlier info. Not late in the year as originally thought.
Old 7 Feb 2018, 09:27 (Ref:3799254)   #1023
drbob
Racer

Hi I have some more queries about the car if anyone can help.

What was the interior paint colour of the 1984 Weaver and Woodman CC Motorsport cars

And does anyone have any photos of the Weaver and Woodman cars from the 16/9/84 Donington BSCC round- Weaver #6 and Woodman #5 and the 7/10/84 Silverstone round, same car numbers.

What was the interior paint colour of the #12 Newman car. I presume it is still the same colour.

Thanks
Old 7 Feb 2018, 09:28 (Ref:3799255)   #1024
drbob
Racer

oh and also pictures of the #6 Woodman/Buncombe car at the Silverstone TT 9/9/84

Thanks again
Old 12 Feb 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3800704)   #1025
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

There are pics in the thread but you'll have to look through. In the History main page listing all the threads you will see an attachments icon on the right under 'rating' you will be able to look at all the photo attachments there.

From memory the bare CC shells and interiors, including the cages were white and then the silver and black paint/decals were applied afterwards.

Last edited by chunterer; 12 Feb 2018 at 13:11.

Tags
atcc, bavaria automobiles, btcc, cc motorsport, dieter quester, dpm, dtm, eggenberger, frank gardner, garage du bac, group a, hans stuck, helmut kelleners, james weaver, jim richards, ravaglia, schnitzer, spa 24 hours, sytner, umberto grano