Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:09 (Ref:3702059)   #101
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Donington now owned by MSV!
Decided it was a better idea than taking over Sillystone, probably! If the deal gets though the red tape then personally can only think a good move for all of us. I wonder if the current Circuit Manager will stay or move on.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Overall he does seem to have improved facilities, but when trying to organise things with MSVR they aren't the easiest to deal with.....
Agree, but that could be because MSV is a business and not a club......
Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3702060)   #102
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I said on Twitter that I hope Christopher Tate gets what he rightfully deserves. The place improved dramatically when he took over. And he had to cope with putting right all the wrongs caused by Gillet.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:19 (Ref:3702061)   #103
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!

Love how they say the 1500 B-series engine has been replaced with the larger 1800 engine to "keep pace with modern traffic".......I presume that's modern traffic in Central London, with an average speed of about 5 mph?

I think it would struggle with a towbar and the race-car on a trailer behind it........

Interesting period piece, though - a bit like the Cotswolds on wheels.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3702062)   #104
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I said on Twitter that I hope he gets what he rightfully deserves. The place improved dramatically when he took over. And he had to cope with putting right all the wrongs caused by Gillet.
I agree and have a lot of respect for the man. There are a few racers with long memories, however, for whom 'get what he rightfully deserves' would mean the opposite of what I think you mean....
Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:32 (Ref:3702064)   #105
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes perhaps I could have chosen better words there. Although I've not heard a bad word about him.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:45 (Ref:3702069)   #106
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I erd he was at WDK now.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:48 (Ref:3702070)   #107
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes perhaps I could have chosen better words there. Although I've not heard a bad word about him.
Let's just say that the odd historic competitor clashed with him 'personality' wise......

For me- Probably gave the best driver's briefings ever! No nonsence.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:49 (Ref:3702071)   #108
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I erd he was at WDK now.
Really? Well, everyone else is.......

Edit- he is a Non-Executive Director, but still boss of Donington.....
Old 12 Jan 2017, 22:00 (Ref:3702188)   #109
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

Apparently the bridge was closed to HGVs at the time due to the wind but he went for it anyway.
Just an observation but having spoken to my son who lives 10 miles north of Perth and who travels infrequently to Edinburgh, he tells me that high side HGV's regularly ignore the wind danger warnings, there is no apparent enforcement as such and he described one or two hairy driving experiences alongside HGV's across the bridge. The approach roads either side are very fast flowing albeit with a couple of pull off areas and even with strong gusts blowing it can be pretty unnerving driving a family vehicle alongside one of the big guys. I can only assume that after such a catastrophe as occurred in the early hours the other morning maybe some form of more rigid enforcement may be introduced.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 23:29 (Ref:3702217)   #110
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Bloody lorry drivers

I'm hanging up my keys (temporarily) and joining the Formula Junior guys in New Zealand for a few weeks in the sun. I'll try and post some pics when I can but between race weekends we'll be heading for the hills and doing a bit of upside down trekking so internet access might be a bit patchy. Big adventure for me and Mrs M, unlike the rest of you globetrotting racers!
Lucky you! It's a wild night here with wind, thunder, snow, end of the world...

Just back from a birthday party where one of the others present was rubbing his hands with glee as he has a snow-ploughing contract with the council. Not sure he'd plough a straight furrow tonight...

Enjoy your trip & good luck.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 07:05 (Ref:3702260)   #111
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Just back from a birthday party where one of the others present was rubbing his hands with glee as he has a snow-ploughing contract with the council.
That takes me back! When 'I were a lad' up in N Norfolk there were no council teams of gritters and snowploughs. It was all down to the local farming community to try and keep the roads clear, with proper old wooden 'ploughs' dragged behind a tractor. Sometimes there would be a 'riding mechanic' on the plough to adjust the width being ploughed as the road widened or narrowed. Even in the '60s locals were still doing the clearing, but I think we're paid by the council. Less ploughs and more front mounted buckets and blades, some extremely home made!

And in those days we needed clearance machinery, as it snowed enough to block the roads nearly every year. I can remember at the beginning of every winter that certain open stretches of road would have snow fences erected on the windward side in an attempt to stop the stuff drifting. How things have changed!
Old 13 Jan 2017, 07:33 (Ref:3702263)   #112
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
That takes me back! When 'I were a lad' up in N Norfolk there were no council teams of gritters and snowploughs. It was all down to the local farming community to try and keep the roads clear, with proper old wooden 'ploughs' dragged behind a tractor. Sometimes there would be a 'riding mechanic' on the plough to adjust the width being ploughed as the road widened or narrowed. Even in the '60s locals were still doing the clearing, but I think we're paid by the council. Less ploughs and more front mounted buckets and blades, some extremely home made!

And in those days we needed clearance machinery, as it snowed enough to block the roads nearly every year. I can remember at the beginning of every winter that certain open stretches of road would have snow fences erected on the windward side in an attempt to stop the stuff drifting. How things have changed!

Oo! Ah! Back wen I wor a lad we only 'ad turnips for dinna times woz ard oi can tell E.

I love these Tales From Rural Norfolk.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 08:31 (Ref:3702273)   #113
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I love these Tales From Rural Norfolk.
Just as well, as there will no doubt be more!
Old 13 Jan 2017, 08:34 (Ref:3702275)   #114
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
attach]48994[/attach]
Got away for racing cars last night. We lost to QPR but had a great night letting off steam.
Attached Thumbnails
Me and Kingsley Reading FC Jan 2017.JPG  
Old 13 Jan 2017, 08:44 (Ref:3702279)   #115
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Just as well, as there will no doubt be more!
Thass roight boy, yew tell im!
Old 13 Jan 2017, 09:13 (Ref:3702284)   #116
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Thass roight boy, yew tell im!
Yoong El'in ee be jast arse bad as tha ther Bell fella, wiv his 'beck win oi waz a lill' un' stories.

Keep them coming lads, as I do not watch Soaps and you provide hours of entertainment in the long winter evenings.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 09:20 (Ref:3702286)   #117
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Yoong El'in ee be jast arse bad as tha ther Bell fella, wiv his 'beck win oi waz a lill' un' stories.

Keep them coming lads, as I do not watch Soaps and you provide hours of entertainment in the long winter evenings.
I guess we need to keep you entertained as you spend all day in Bed(s)...!!!
Old 13 Jan 2017, 09:22 (Ref:3702287)   #118
bauble
Veteran

England
I went outside after eating my breakfast, porridge and a crispbread, started the engine of my 20 year old Vauxhall to melt the snow and ice that had settled on the car overnight. It did not take very long and I got a broom and swept the snow from the path as a safety measure. Mrs B wants to go shopping but is concerned by the snow flurries currently a feature of the weather here in Luton, I have assured her that we can make it to the BP garage where they have an M&S outlet, she likes their bread, on to Sainsburys, and call in at Lidl on the way home.

Not sure what we will have for dinner, however, as it is Friday it will be fish in one guise or another.

I might write more later today, meanwhile I hope you all remain safe and warm where ever you are.

Bauble.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 11:10 (Ref:3702304)   #119
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's grim here in Mallory land, I've counted 5 flakes of snow so far this morning so no doubt the local BBC will send someone out to report on the blizzards across the Midlands as usual. Talk about over reaction.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 13:25 (Ref:3702331)   #120
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had a 1 inch covering at 7-30 this morning but all gone by 9-30. Looking a bit threatening now, though, just as I have a 50 mile non-motorway journey to make. Typical!

Mike, have you been advised to leave your house due to threatened floods?
Old 13 Jan 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3702342)   #121
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Mike, have you been advised to leave your house due to threatened floods?
I'm surprised the flood alert hasn't spread this far inland! The E agency and meedya seem to love a bit of potential drama, and are milking it for all its worth. So far all a damp squid.....
Old 13 Jan 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3702350)   #122
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
No snow here just yet but I think that a few flakes were recorded on the beach back in the 60s, meanwhile I'm having a job to see the laptop screen because of full sun and blue skies while my other half is sitting by the pool !
Sorry to have to report it but someone has to do it
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Jan 2017, 14:43 (Ref:3702354)   #123
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
We had a 1 inch covering at 7-30 this morning but all gone by 9-30. Looking a bit threatening now, though, just as I have a 50 mile non-motorway journey to make. Typical!
How much of the white stuff do you require, Peter? I could arrange a couple of truck loads for you from my front garden within the hour; a bit longer for the rest from the back, but could be done with a bit of notice!
Old 13 Jan 2017, 14:46 (Ref:3702356)   #124
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
No snow here just yet but I think that a few flakes were recorded on the beach back in the 60s, meanwhile I'm having a job to see the laptop screen because of full sun and blue skies while my other half is sitting by the pool !
Sorry to have to report it but someone has to do it
I presume you're not in Kent at the moment then?
Old 13 Jan 2017, 15:07 (Ref:3702361)   #125
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I presume you're not in Kent at the moment then?
Click image for larger version

Name:	THIS ONE.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	48995 Almost but a little further south !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Closed Thread