Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Dec 2003, 13:50 (Ref:814062)   #1
Megatron
Rookie

Megatron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can the new Ferrari catch the new Porsche?

The cars that Ferrari produce (or Mikaloto for some teams) have great breaks, tremendous handling, look great, but lack power compared to the GTRS.

Now with the Ferrarri 360GTC coming out, doe4s anyone know if they will get a major power boost to help? It would appear as if the new RSR from Porsche concentrates on the aero, so I am hoping that Risi can take the fight to the Porsche's in 2004.

Do you see the new Ferrari being able to keep up with the new Porsche's on the straights?
Old 17 Dec 2003, 14:01 (Ref:814072)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well the official figures for Porsche and Ferrari both now are 445bhp - the Ferrari is wider than the Porsche, but its lower I think so perhaps the cars will be equal on straight line speed I dont know, but even so the Ferrari 360 should be the faster car, it has better areodynamics than the Porsche and the engine is in exactly the right spot, although having said that the Porsches engine is almost in the right place too. I dont know why but I just think the Ferrari will have a slight edge - providing JMB put in good drivers, very good drivers. The main thing that has made the differnce between the Porsche and Ferrari in recent years if u ask me is the fact that the Porsches often have factory Porsche drivers behind them, the Ferrari's dont, if Ferrari gave support to their customer teams like Porsche do in terms of drivers and technical support I think the Ferrari 360's would be clearly ahead.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 14:33 (Ref:814097)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Saleen, I was told by Anthony Lazzaro that the 2003 Ferrari has more frontal area and more drag (more openings) than the 911 at Mosport, so I'd suspect that they still will have an aero deficiency.

That said, their handling is better (in part because of motor placement) and the main weakness the driver felt was in the motor. So if Ferrari has spent some time developing more horses/torque in the lower revs, they'll be in the right range.

Regardless, should be good!
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Dec 2003, 15:34 (Ref:814160)   #4
almzkid
Rookie

almzkid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still want to know if any ALMS teams are planning on running the new GTC? Risi? JMB USA? a new Team?

Its a great car..but if no-one runs it...how will we know
Old 17 Dec 2003, 15:50 (Ref:814185)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Porsche's relationship with its customer teams certainly is a model which other factories would do well to emulate. Imagine a 360GTC pedalled by Luciano Burti, Luca Badoer, Felipe Massa or (sigh) Schuey or Barrichello.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 15:56 (Ref:814190)   #6
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the new 360gtc will make the GT battle onw to watch, especially if they get some capable drivers, but the Jelly bean parade is now in jeopardy as the Ferrari is here to stay- Hopefully they continue this GT racer program and keep one with every new model as Porsche has, there is now reason the 911 is the standard for GT racing, when Ferrari is the standard for GT's everywhere- now what about the Panoz GT?
Old 17 Dec 2003, 17:37 (Ref:814285)   #7
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Porsche's relationship with its customer teams certainly is a model which other factories would do well to emulate. Imagine a 360GTC pedalled by Luciano Burti, Luca Badoer, Felipe Massa or (sigh) Schuey or Barrichello.
How about Nicola Larini !!!
Old 17 Dec 2003, 17:43 (Ref:814296)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cirtek, in the GTC's maiden competition, beat Freisinger in an RS.

I'm sure that Risi at a minimum will upgrade.

I'd not bet on one marque over the other at this point. *rubs hands with glee*
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Dec 2003, 19:42 (Ref:814411)   #9
Bob C.
Rookie

Bob C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RSR vs GTC

Based on Porsche's history, I'll bet the hp rating on the RSR is quite conservative. In his recent Porsche Panorama column, Michael Cotton reported that the RSR is some 2.5 seconds quicker than the RS around Weissach (??? don't have article in front of me, so not sure if that is exact). Thus, the RSR is a bigger leap forward from the RS than the RS was from the R. Further, Porsche supports its teams *at the track*; Risi/JMB/etc are left to their own devices. Finally, 2001 notwithstanding, Porsche consistently shows just enough of its poker hand to stay in front of the competition (i.e. I'll bet AJR could've upped the ante last year if pushed harder by Risi).

IMHO, edge to Porsche. But, much gratitude to Ferrari.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 20:17 (Ref:814453)   #10
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont forget, as GA much proves, that the Porsche engine is pretty much tapped out at about 500hp. The Brumos cars run unrestricted and with a better than stock airbox, now i dont know exact numbers but it is in the 500ish range.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 12:06 (Ref:815022)   #11
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
I dont know why but I just think the Ferrari will have a slight edge - providing JMB put in good drivers, very good drivers. The main thing that has made the differnce between the Porsche and Ferrari in recent years if u ask me is the fact that the Porsches often have factory Porsche drivers behind them, the Ferrari's dont, if Ferrari gave support to their customer teams like Porsche do in terms of drivers and technical support I think the Ferrari 360's would be clearly ahead.
Do we have any idea of Ferrari numbers to be entered in LM?
Numerically Porkas always seem to have the advantage...