Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Nov 2009, 00:46 (Ref:2584694)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[V8SC10R01&02] Abu Dhabi, Yas Marina (Merged x1) INCL SPOILERS!

Yas Marina looks like it's going to have a day race and a night race.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/conten...ace_announced/
Old 19 Nov 2009, 02:06 (Ref:2584735)   #2
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Tony Cochrane, Executive Chairman of V8 Supercars Australia Championship Series, said, “We could not have asked for a better way to start the 2010 season: the first V8 Supercar race at Yas Marina Circuit, the first V8 Supercar race under lights. Fans and spectators are going to get a fantastic show at this amazing new world class circuit.”
What about Calder Park 1997 Tony?

Still, this will be awesome.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 03:27 (Ref:2584762)   #3
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pity the poor mules. 2 different race tracks in 2 weekends, then Clipsal only 2 weeks after. Better hope the racing is clean.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 03:28 (Ref:2584763)   #4
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Pity the poor mules. 2 different race tracks in 2 weekends, then Clipsal only 2 weeks after. Better hope the racing is clean.
Yeah that Abu Dhabi track is wide and fast, I can imagine some big hits.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 03:48 (Ref:2584770)   #5
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say that sounds exciting. I've not seen this "corkscrew" part of the circuit - is it a shortcut to another part of the circuit that F1 didn't use?

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 04:11 (Ref:2584773)   #6
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
I have to say that sounds exciting. I've not seen this "corkscrew" part of the circuit - is it a shortcut to another part of the circuit that F1 didn't use?
Would assume its the blue part in my pic. You can just see in the thumbnail size pic on V8.com that this part is highlighted, instead of the full course.
It would be turns 4/5/6

Last edited by STEALTHY; 19 Nov 2009 at 04:20.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 05:06 (Ref:2584779)   #7
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Technically the whole circuit wasn't lit just the main straight and fairly dimly in comparison to the Abu Dhabi circuit. V8s also raced in night races at the Brock Challenge at Calder in 95 and the Eastern Creek round in 96, but these were pre TC running the show so don't count in V8SC's view on history.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 05:11 (Ref:2584780)   #8
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Would assume its the blue part in my pic. You can just see in the thumbnail size pic on V8.com that this part is highlighted, instead of the full course.
It would be turns 4/5/6

But all the grandstands are down at that hairpin on the right aren't they?

Is TC already admitting that he doesn't expect anybody to turn up by using this layout?

I assume the hotel with the light-up roof is on the left part of the track, hence they can't skip it...

I reckon it would be better if they use the tarmac that cuts from the corner just after the back straight then direct to the pit straight, and went right down to the hairpin where the stands are. The left part of the circuit doesn't have any stands?

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 19 Nov 2009 at 05:17.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 05:23 (Ref:2584782)   #9
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
I'm not saying thats what the track is, i have no clue what they are running (and wouldn't know where to look to find out), just going by the pic on their site (And after watching the GP just a second ago, that part of the track isn't that exciting anyway, if they are bypassing it).

Heres the pic from V8.com. looks like theres 2 grandstands that would be missed with your idea

Old 19 Nov 2009, 08:56 (Ref:2584862)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

Still, this will be awesome.
Wasnt the calder Park race in 1995? (The Peter Brock Challenge) If it was it was pre V8 Supercars. it also was not a round of the championship.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2584886)   #11
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Wasnt the calder Park race in 1995? (The Peter Brock Challenge) If it was it was pre V8 Supercars. it also was not a round of the championship.
It definitely was not '95. Skaife still had the Winfield sponsorship in '95.

Besides, Tony didn't say the first "championship" race.

I am positive it was 1997, as I clearly remember Skaife with the largely sponsorless VS locking up the rear brakes at the end of the Calder straight with disc brakes glowing, and the dust in his lights created an amazing effect, which I managed to get a photo of. Said photo hung over the boardroom table of Gibson motor sport for some time.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 10:20 (Ref:2584908)   #12
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Does it really matter? Was already explained, it wasn't the full course under lights, thats hardly a lit race.

If it is, every year at clipsal is a 'lit' race, cause of the street light on the main straight
Old 19 Nov 2009, 11:14 (Ref:2584946)   #13
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It definitely was not '95. Skaife still had the Winfield sponsorship in '95.

Besides, Tony didn't say the first "championship" race.

I am positive it was 1997, as I clearly remember Skaife with the largely sponsorless VS locking up the rear brakes at the end of the Calder straight with disc brakes glowing, and the dust in his lights created an amazing effect, which I managed to get a photo of. Said photo hung over the boardroom table of Gibson motor sport for some time.
Gibson Motorsport's Winfield sponsorship concluded at Bathurst, hence they didn't front at the Adelaide GP and the one car they did field for Skaife at Calder ran in Winfield colours sans logos.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2584950)   #14
Mixer
Veteran

Its confirmed in AA that '97 Calder round was the first V8Supercar round and it was run under lights...
Old 19 Nov 2009, 11:25 (Ref:2584957)   #15
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Its confirmed in AA
Haha good one. A media outlet confirmed something, the same media who make their living on speculation and misinformation.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 11:26 (Ref:2584958)   #16
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Haha good one. A media outlet confirmed something, the same media who make their living on speculation and misinformation.
I think it more likely than Tony Cochrane engaged in hyperbole.

You think I, and Auto Action both independantly dreamt this up?
Old 19 Nov 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2584964)   #17
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
I think it more likely than Tony Cochrane engaged in hyperbole.

You think I, and Auto Action both independantly dreamt this up?
Not at all. I have no doubts it was printed. That doesn't mean its accurate. Like i said, clipsal has had lights on the course for years, but never called it a 'under lights race'
Old 19 Nov 2009, 11:43 (Ref:2584969)   #18
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Not at all. I have no doubts it was printed. That doesn't mean its accurate. Like i said, clipsal has had lights on the course for years, but never called it a 'under lights race'
http://www.v8supercarsfangroup.com/f...park-1997.html

See that link for the first frame of the Calder Park 1997 race under lights on Youtube, the video is no longer there but you can see the first frame.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2584989)   #19
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

See that link for the first frame of the Calder Park 1997 race under lights on Youtube, the video is no longer there but you can see the first frame.
I wasn't there, so i can't comment. The other poster clearly said 'only the main straight was lit', which was why they classed it differently to the 'night' race this thread is about

Thats an opinion thing, luckily were both right
Old 19 Nov 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2585175)   #20
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its confirmed in AA that '97 Calder round was the first V8Supercar round and it was run under lights...
Its another case of selective memory from VESA (sometimes they claim V8 history dating back to 1993, other times they only count from 1997)

The non-championship "Peter Brock Classic" at Calder in late-1995 was a day/night meeting, with the second V8 race being held under lights.

The first round of the 1996 ATCC was held under lights at Eastern Creek (well, races 1 and 2 were held in twilight, race 3 in the dark)

It was a similiar deal for the opening round of the 1997 ATCC at Calder which is mentioned above.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 18:00 (Ref:2585228)   #21
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I can't believe that my cross-pond Argentine TC2000 championship beat no less than the WTCC, DTM and V8SA in having a race under true floodlights: the 2009 Grand Prix of Santa Fe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
these were pre TC running the show so don't count in V8SC's view on history.
That's only what matters anyway in these days .
Old 19 Nov 2009, 22:49 (Ref:2585410)   #22
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

It doesn't seem to be up on youtube anymore, but I definitely watched something on there about a calder night race in 96 or 97. The 99 round still seems to be up though, surely not a case of VESA rewriting history again?

It was spectacular, with the big V8s sliding around and stepping out and the brakes glowing. Captain Chaos even managed to get one up on the baby-faced assassin and snag a win I think.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 22:54 (Ref:2585413)   #23
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Technically the whole circuit wasn't lit just the main straight and fairly dimly in comparison to the Abu Dhabi circuit.
I was there for that event and more than just the main straight was under lights. The main straight had the permanent drag strip lighting, and the rest of the circuit had more spasmodic temporary generator powered lighting.

It was nowhere near as good as the lighting we have seen on international circuits recently, but it was absolutely a race under lights.

By the way, those night races at Calder Park were fabulous. I think the fact that the lighting wasn't perfect added to the drama of the evenings. Better than any daylight race meeting at Phillip Island, Sandown or Winton.

Pic here of Wayne Gardner
Old 19 Nov 2009, 23:29 (Ref:2585435)   #24
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
By the way, those night races at Calder Park were fabulous. I think the fact that the lighting wasn't perfect added to the drama of the evenings. Better than any daylight race meeting at Phillip Island, Sandown or Winton.
I'm with you, those races were fantastic, it had almost a European endurance feel to it. Unfortunately now probably the OH&S crew would make it impossible to repeat.

Still, this Abu Dhabi race will be mental I reckon. Bahrain produced some cracking racing so this should be really interesting.

I thought the Shanghai race produced good racing too and I love to see our Aussie V8s at some of these amazing exotic locations.

Can you imagine seeing the V8s running around at Silverstone, Monza or Monaco???
Old 20 Nov 2009, 02:02 (Ref:2585508)   #25
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

The shortended Silverstone circuit seems to be the crashiest of the lot in the BTCC and that's saying something! The way the inside and outside lines cross before they come back onto the pitstraight seems to produce a lot of desperate overtakes. I dunno, would the racing would be gentlemanly with the V8s in comparison?