Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 3 Aug 2013, 08:05 (Ref:3285295)   #1
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Macau Grand Prix

I'm looking at going to see the Macau Grand Prix in the next few years - any general advice would be appreciated

My plan at the moment is to fly into Hong Kong and stay there and use the ferry to get across to Macau for the race days. Grandstand seats are HKD 550 (~£50) though they are on the start/finish straight which won't show much.

Are there any other viewing areas/a charge for general admission or is it just a matter of showing up?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 3 Aug 2013, 08:53 (Ref:3285308)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Do it! It's great.

I would advise getting the ferry across on the Saturday morning and staying over in Macau. We got a room at the Holiday Inn for a reasonable rate.

The Saturday night is a good party in all the bars, so don't miss out. Some of it was, er, eye-opening.....

When i went, we spent the Saturday walking the track and taking advantage of the free vistas. If you are adventurous/naughty, you can get some amazing pictures.
http://youtu.be/Z1NZCx_JmWA
http://youtu.be/X5pmK8fy-vk (That is sticking the lense through the gap in the armco at Donna Maria - I was (quite rightly) reprimanded and moved on)

For the Sunday we had grandstand tickets for Lisboa. This is at the end of the main straight and where most of the overtaking/incidents occur. There is also a giant screen opposite so you don't miss any of the action.
http://youtu.be/_liyLqZ2JkA (Some swearing - apologies)

Any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 09:17 (Ref:3285314)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
peats done a far better job than i could with the logistics but it's really one that should be on every motorsport fans bucket list. culturally it is incredible, some awkward contrasts between what the island was, how the race has always bern, and what the chinese are doing now.

from a weird perspective, the venetian is apparently worth a look though i never made it to that end of the island myself. try and get a go up the macau tower, likewise head up to victoria peak in hk at sunset. both give you an idea of the islands that's kind of difficult to figure out on the ground.

most of the teams stay in the galaxy (? i think thats its name. it's the one lit up in blue) on the main straight to lisboa and the rio a couple of streets behind, unless things have changed! actually the rio might be worth a look for rooms too, iirc it wasn't too bad.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 20:31 (Ref:3286288)   #4
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
I'm looking at going to see the Macau Grand Prix in the next few years - any general advice would be appreciated

My plan at the moment is to fly into Hong Kong and stay there and use the ferry to get across to Macau for the race days. Grandstand seats are HKD 550 (~£50) though they are on the start/finish straight which won't show much.

Are there any other viewing areas/a charge for general admission or is it just a matter of showing up?
There is a grandstand at Lisboa, at the end of the long straight where the track narrows down a lot. Good for first lap incidents! Apart from that there aren't really any general viewing areas, aside from the start finish straight.

I would say stay in Macau for however long you are there, it is an hour each way on the ferry which could get a bit tedious! You can experience the "interesting" nightlife, and mingle with the drivers and teams then.

Whatever you do though, just make sure you go. It's a great experience!
Old 10 Aug 2013, 16:05 (Ref:3288027)   #5
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for all the advice So I take it the only fee is for the grandstands? Otherwise you can just show up?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 13 Aug 2013, 12:46 (Ref:3289260)   #6
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The paddock is opposite the ferry terminal - I think it's a bus station the rest of the year. A lot of the support races are housed in the car park underneath. You need a pass to get in there, and as I said there aren't really any general viewing areas. Everything is behind buildings or screened off.
Old 9 Oct 2013, 22:54 (Ref:3315477)   #7
Rus_L
Rookie

United States
Rus_L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The s definitely on my bucket list. Some year...

Last year I almost had an opportunity to be close enough in the area at the right time for a side trip, but it didn't work out.

I did a bunch of research then, and I was going to stay in Macau on the race days, adding a few extra days in Hong Kong afterward.

Also, the most expensive grandstand at the end of the long straightaway definitely appeared to be the place to sit. All reserved seats, and they go early. I also think they are individual seating, so a bit more comfortable.