Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19 Mar 2012, 00:18 (Ref:3044304)   #1901
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i didn't know you were a secret bra burner
I am full of mystery, Bella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
I watched the Beeb feed live
No you didn't.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 00:23 (Ref:3044307)   #1902
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I am full of mystery, Bella.

No you didn't.
I watched it live too. I thought I was going to get the Sky feed but I got David Coulthard's dulcet tone.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 00:45 (Ref:3044327)   #1903
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was more than happy with the BBC coverage and I prefer less build up anyway..I really warmed to the fact it was succinct and to the point.

I didn't miss Brundle as much as I thought I would and I didn't feel like I'd missed out on anything important in the race.

The only hassle was avoiding all news coverage in the morning so I didn't see the result!
Old 19 Mar 2012, 00:49 (Ref:3044333)   #1904
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I watched it live too. I thought I was going to get the Sky feed but I got David Coulthard's dulcet tone.
I know you streamed it, but how could anyone get access to the original live recording unless they work at the BBC? Did I answer my own question?
Old 19 Mar 2012, 01:19 (Ref:3044350)   #1905
arnoldridley
Rookie

arnoldridley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BBC's coverage was superb, a condensed feel, knew I was watching "highlights" but the commentary/analyst team works really well, they know what they're doing and it's not gonna cost me nearly 400 quid a year. I'll not be making the switch.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 01:43 (Ref:3044362)   #1906
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Welcome to Ten-Tenths.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 01:46 (Ref:3044366)   #1907
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Welcome. You don't have to be mad to post on here, but it does help.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 09:40 (Ref:3044486)   #1908
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I know you streamed it, but how could anyone get access to the original live recording unless they work at the BBC? Did I answer my own question?
I think you did. It will be interesting to see what happens next weekend.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 10:21 (Ref:3044520)   #1909
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems to be a fair consensus on a few points.

No need for so many people involved with the SKY deal, far too many people, just seems they are taking up passes!

The token women are not really necessary, these days, drivers are so manipulated by the PR pen that no amount of pretty face or cleavage is going to get you anything superfluous, that doesnt happen anymore, these guys are like footballers apart from maybe a few like Seb, Webber, Schuey and Button who speak a bit mroe fluidly. You can only ask the question a certina way anyway, so why not get someone who can dig deeper.

The Beeb got most right by the sound of it, decent commentary, just enough analysis, but maybe not quite enough buildup. Thats fair.

What is interesting is that SKY didn't seem to do much differernt to the Beeb, they usually do with their coverage of any sport they take over. This shows either a lack of imaginaiton or ideas as they revlolutionised football, did a lot for speedway, darts and rugby league.

Guess maybe they couldn't glam it up anymore?

So, get rid of the pointless totty, and the extraneous presenters, and you pretty much have what Beeb have.

For hundreds of pounds less, simples
Old 19 Mar 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3044527)   #1910
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
As someone who'd kill to get in to the role of an on-air presenter/assistant in motorsport, it genuinely pains me (and has done for some time now) to see token women slotted in to the show.

Even my mum reckons they're utterly pointless when there's clearly going to be so many other better candidates for the job.

I don't mind women in motorsport, but for crying out loud, these ladies are giving women in motorsport a bad name by having to be there.

I'm glad i'm not alone in this one as I feel really strongly about it, and wasn't sure how out of order that seemed?

Selby
Old 19 Mar 2012, 11:40 (Ref:3044563)   #1911
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jonathan Liew article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...he-viewer.html

Quote:
But by far the most intriguing subplot featured the main protagonist, Martin Brundle, and his curious relationship with Lazenby. An impromptu interview with Pastor Maldonado was the perfect example of this. Lazenby began with a fairly neutral question about how he felt about his grid position. Maldonado answered, at which point Brundle barged in with a question of his own. It is not uncommon on the BBC for David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan to pipe up with supplementary questions once Jake Humphrey has had his fill, but here was Brundle hijacking the conversation at the first opportunity.

Based on race day one, it is clear why Brundle moved to Sky in the off-season. Not just for money, but for a channel prepared to indulge his every whim, his every urge, his every ecstatic howl. And if ever there was an argument against 5.1 Surround Sound, then the experience of listening to Brundle being brought to the very brink of orgasm in a cramped cockpit was surely it.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 12:40 (Ref:3044601)   #1912
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Here's another vote for getting rid of the silly CGI at the start of the show. Unfortunately that's just one example of the useless bloating that pads out so many television programmes: like coming back from and advert break and telling us what just happened before the break. I know! I was watching it!!!!

Last year I was feeling very angry and let-down by the Sky/BBC arrangement. Having watched the Australian GP on BBC, I now feel much better.
Yes I actually whooped with joy when the opening sequence showed bits of classic old F1 and drivers, exactly what it should've been when the Beeb took on the full coverage again 3 years ago!!!!!

That sort of thing is what gets the hairs on the back of our necks going not dull unspecific graphics of cars skidding about on a bridge and then merging together Tron style!!!
Old 19 Mar 2012, 16:34 (Ref:3044733)   #1913
expaddockrunner
Racer

United Kingdom
coventry
expaddockrunner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now the first race is over,
lets see if sky will take any feedback and use it,

Red button on sky, scrap the pit lane screen, main feed normally covers important pit lane coverage. timing screen, its nice but without seeing any track action, if a small screen could be used showing the track action maybe. onboard cameras, maybe a split screen showing 2 cars, not 3 or 4 singe screen,

the best red button screen was the one showing the main feed, best of the on-board shots, timing screen and the pit lane.

oh, and WHY oh WHY cant i record anything while in red button mode, it was nice to have the control of how i view the race, but then when i went to playback later the same day (as i went to bed, after working a nightshift) i had nothing.

BBC, the intro music is still played very loud, THANK YOU
Old 19 Mar 2012, 16:48 (Ref:3044739)   #1914
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
rocketcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am guessing the bbc are providing the english world feed commentary as they have admitted to recording the commentary "live" already. As most countries that show it do not have a dedicated commentary team etc.
Like when was in africa a few years ago it was itv commentary, but because the african channel did not have commercial breaks there were just extended pauses in the commentary when itv whent to a break.

Most anoying part about the whole thing is because there is a "fan" demand in the UK for F1 bernie no doubt raises the price through the roof. I cannot imagine the african super sport channel paying anywhere near that to show uninterupted live coverage of F1.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 16:58 (Ref:3044744)   #1915
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
rocketcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I just read the article and it summed up why I don't read the drivel produced by the telegraphy. The article was a personal attack on brundle and pritty much the only good thing about sky's coverage.

It failed to note that Lazenby was awful and the questions he asked were so broad and of topic a lot of the time someone with a bit of knowledgge probing technical insight is what was needed.

In my opinion Lazenby was a weak host.

As for the ferrari piece I think it was sky's editing that probably reduced the technical depth and purposefullness of it.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 18:40 (Ref:3044803)   #1916
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
What is interesting is that SKY didn't seem to do much differernt to the Beeb, they usually do with their coverage of any sport they take over. This shows either a lack of imaginaiton or ideas as they revlolutionised football, did a lot for speedway, darts and rugby league.
Or perhaps the BBC got it right in the first place.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3044870)   #1917
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldridley View Post
The BBC's coverage was superb, a condensed feel, knew I was watching "highlights" but the commentary/analyst team works really well, they know what they're doing and it's not gonna cost me nearly 400 quid a year. I'll not be making the switch.
You must be joking! All Ben Edwards did was scream and tell me what I could see with my own eyes.

The rest of the Beeb team were pretty good although Anderson needs to be a bit more mic friendly. But really Edwards was like Allen on speed. I dunno where he got his rep from but he needs to go back there.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3044926)   #1918
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Yes, I had to strain to understand Gary Anderson.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 21:39 (Ref:3044935)   #1919
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is no good. It seems both channels are rubbish at covering F1 and have crap presenters!
Old 19 Mar 2012, 21:47 (Ref:3044940)   #1920
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Divide and rule.. They've split up a good team.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 21:56 (Ref:3044943)   #1921
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
You must be joking! All Ben Edwards did was scream and tell me what I could see with my own eyes.

The rest of the Beeb team were pretty good although Anderson needs to be a bit more mic friendly. But really Edwards was like Allen on speed. I dunno where he got his rep from but he needs to go back there.
That's a relief Peter, I thought I was the only one who felt this way.
I caught a bit of breakfast TV this morning where a man from (I think) "The Racing Post" was lamenting the fact that The BBC will no longer be televising horse racing, handing over events like The Grand National to Channel 4 (who already show all of the other televised horse racing).
His comment was along the lines of 'I'm sure that the coverage will still be quite good, but it won't have The Gravitas that it did when covered by the BBC.'
To me, this summed up what was missing from the BBC's coverage of The Australian GP...
Old 19 Mar 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3044947)   #1922
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The beeb cover anything better than any other channel. Consistently.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 22:32 (Ref:3044969)   #1923
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I wouldn't trust Jonathan Liew after his appalling hatchet-job on Stan Collymore the other week.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 23:33 (Ref:3045011)   #1924
Richyy
Rookie

England
Chester
Richyy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay so after watching all the sessions on Sky Go via Xbox and the highlights from the BBC...

Firstly the Introduction music .. sky's is so boring ! hardly gets you excited at 5 in the morning not like AC/DC followed by The Chain , then the actual build up for Sky seemed a bit dull too where as BBC seemed to share your excitement for the race ! and the silly silencing of the F1 engines on the warm-up lap to show us interviews about qualifying we had already seen several times before, just totally dull for such a highly exciting sport imo

Skypad or what ever its called should go as well especially Georgie who is really annoying just stood there with predictable questions, Ant Davidson was also a bit dull this weekend, and the thing 99% of the time seemed not to work pressing the screen numerous times before it did anything,also get rid of iPads that goes for Jake too and stop mentioning twitter in commentary !! bloody hate that site !

BBCs commentator Ben Edwards - loved him for BTCC, love him on F1 nice to hear someone getting excited, I don't know how much he is getting paid but he is seemingly delighted at just getting the opportunity ! rather than seeing it as a pay cheque

anyway I may be writing to the BBC if I can find an address for it to land on an appropriate desk

BUT what an awesome season lies ahead !!!
Old 19 Mar 2012, 23:46 (Ref:3045018)   #1925
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It was live on Sultanta

Tags
outrage, sky