Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 2 Oct 2014, 19:53 (Ref:3459628)   #251
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks!

What did you think? I enjoyed it overall- wanted to see more of all of the cars, rather than just the leaders, but the course was good.

I felt really bad for Ken Block. I'd like to see him or Scott Speed win the championship rather than Nelson Piquet Jr. I'm not very keen on him, for some reason.
Old 2 Oct 2014, 20:32 (Ref:3459633)   #252
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just finished watching it. Aside from the "tunnel" that was quite a reworked layout from the last time the GRC was there. I'm glad though as it would have been very messy in the final with the previous layout.

Unquestionably my fave GRC location and some good racing. Didn't think the coverage was terrible: at least they jumped back to the Piquet Jnr./Deegan battle in the Final rather than sticking with Sverre.

Yeah, gutted for Block, he doesn't seem to have much luck in turn one! Hopefully he'll see it as a sign to make a permanent move to the World Championship...
Old 3 Oct 2014, 00:22 (Ref:3459679)   #253
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see Ken in WRX. He has shown that he has the pace this year. Also wonder if M-Sport could sell some customer cars if they he ran. I should know this but I don't think anyone in WRX is running an OMSE built car beyond themselves are they?

I know in the US there are other teams running the cars and on the coverage of Snoqualmie they said Deegan was running the 'old' car.

Makes me wonder given GRC/WRX on the same weekend - how many cars does OMSE now have! I think the original Brack 3-door is 'retired' and only for show and Marcus has the 5-door but there must 7 or so running today at least (and two destroyed by Marcus and Topi in LA).

Probably a winter thread when we are all more bored......

Mark
Old 3 Oct 2014, 06:36 (Ref:3459727)   #254
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have lots of cars but don't know how many though, I've lost count ..

Austrian Max Pucher have an OMSE car from last year and run it privately
Old 3 Oct 2014, 08:42 (Ref:3459757)   #255
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post
Makes me wonder given GRC/WRX on the same weekend - how many cars does OMSE now have! I think the original Brack 3-door is 'retired' and only for show and Marcus has the 5-door but there must 7 or so running today at least (and two destroyed by Marcus and Topi in LA).
I caught the comment on the Deegan car during the GRC coverage as well. As you say, be interesting to trace all the cars and see where they are now. The Pikes Peak (5 door) gets mentioned in the recent Ford Racing video on the OMSE facility:

http://youtu.be/ZOGqImZH3to
(Skip to the 2:00 mark if you just want to see the Pikes Peak car)

Anyone seen the drift Fiesta that OMSE were involved with? Speedhunters ran a feature on it last year...

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/12/...cussed-fiesta/

...where they stated the shell was sourced through OMSE, but I have read comments elsewhere indicating its an ex-rallycross car?

Seemingly many cars to chase: definitely an off-season thread!
Old 3 Oct 2014, 22:48 (Ref:3459997)   #256
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Austrian Max Pucher have an OMSE car from last year and run it privately
What a money waster! Car is good enough to beat all other Austrian championship toppers in SuperCars, but even that seems to be impossible for him. Payed a lot of money for the car, had several dear private driving lessons by Patrik Sandell on different tracks and gets nowhere...
Old 4 Oct 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3460119)   #257
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
What a money waster! Car is good enough to beat all other Austrian championship toppers in SuperCars, but even that seems to be impossible for him. Payed a lot of money for the car, had several dear private driving lessons by Patrik Sandell on different tracks and gets nowhere...
Haha I agree! I wonder if it really will be a two car team next year and that they will compete in some events in WRX
Old 4 Oct 2014, 09:17 (Ref:3460130)   #258
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This kind of thing has happened many times before

Hans Te Pas, Vidar Sauthon, Peter Kramer in the RS500, Jan Langenberg, Steve Harris here.

Plenty of guys with tons of money who buy good cars and do very little with them.

It's the way of life
Old 4 Oct 2014, 22:26 (Ref:3460525)   #259
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
It's like people buying good horses and then doing nothing useful with them. I think it helps the sports in a small way, by keeping the money flowing.

I'm curious- what does everyone think of the Beetle? Seems to be having some teething problems and I don't think it's really had a good run yet. I do think it looks quick and quite nimble.
Old 5 Oct 2014, 11:38 (Ref:3460786)   #260
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distracted View Post
It's like people buying good horses and then doing nothing useful with them. I think it helps the sports in a small way, by keeping the money flowing.
Totilas...

Quote:
I'm curious- what does everyone think of the Beetle? Seems to be having some teething problems and I don't think it's really had a good run yet. I do think it looks quick and quite nimble.
Give the car some time.
Old 5 Oct 2014, 12:02 (Ref:3460797)   #261
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
1600cc vs 2058cc cannot work out in the end. Reminds me a lot on the Volkswagen Motorsport factory involvement in the 1978 ERC. They desperately wanted to run Jochi Kleint's Golf Mk1 with a 1.6 litre engine against the 2.0 litre engines of Martin Schanche and the others. No chance, and when the Kleint engine was done they gave up halfway through the ERC.
Old 5 Oct 2014, 19:21 (Ref:3460961)   #262
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Totilas...
Yep!

Quote:
Give the car some time.
I'm happy to wait and see how it goes. Thought it looked good in the last final, until it got knocked off the track.
Old 6 Oct 2014, 08:35 (Ref:3461162)   #263
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distracted
I'm personally not a fan of the body shape and, although it looks better with arches and the obligatory wing, I still don't think it looks anywhere near as good as the Polo.

I'm still surprised they opted for the smaller engine; given the 2.0L configuration is proven in the Polo I thought they'd just shoe horn that into the Beetle. Kudos for trying something different, though I still think the positives outweigh the negatives when it comes to the smaller engine/reduced weight Supercars.

Unless there are further changes coming (i.e. everyone running smaller engines), then Procter's Fiesta is surely the last small engine build we see in Europe? With the reduced weight benefit to be removed from the regulations I can't see what incentive there is to opt for the smaller engine? (I wonder if the GRC regulations will also remove this as well?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Plenty of guys with tons of money who buy good cars and do very little with them.

It's the way of life
Yeah, true.

Still - and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying this - but even though I'd be trailing at the back of the pack, if I had the money to race a Supercar I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

Last edited by tbtstt; 6 Oct 2014 at 08:44.
Old 6 Oct 2014, 08:57 (Ref:3461174)   #264
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
I was not surprised to see the Beetle eventually showing up with a 1.6 WRC engine, converted for Rallycross use with a 45mm air restrictor and presumably some other necessary changes, as I was told already some time ago that VW Motorsport boss Jost Capito is in favour of 1.6 engines for the whole of Rallycross, GRC as well as WRX... Time will tell.
Old 6 Oct 2014, 12:58 (Ref:3461243)   #265
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
I was not surprised to see the Beetle eventually showing up with a 1.6 WRC engine, converted for Rallycross use with a 45mm air restrictor and presumably some other necessary changes, as I was told already some time ago that VW Motorsport boss Jost Capito is in favour of 1.6 engines for the whole of Rallycross, GRC as well as WRX... Time will tell.
Ah, that explains the decision. From a VW perspective I can see why it would appeal to them, as there is going to be some crossover between the WRC and rallycross engine development.

Are there others in favour of 1.6L over 2.0L? Do you see the removal of the differing weight regulation as a sign that change might be coming?
Old 7 Oct 2014, 00:09 (Ref:3461541)   #266
juha205
Rookie

Spain
Galicia (Northwest Spain)
juha205 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All 1.6 sounds very bad, 2.0 longitudinal forever!!
Old 7 Oct 2014, 14:45 (Ref:3461769)   #267
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Wasn't the Mini also running the smaller engine? Of course, that's a smaller car. I think the Beetle looks quite big compared to the other supercars.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 14:57 (Ref:3461776)   #268
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Wasn't the Mini also running the smaller engine? Of course, that's a smaller car. I think the Beetle looks quite big compared to the other supercars.
The beetle uses a Golf chassis so it's bigger than the Polo - I don't know how close to the weight limit they've got it? If they've got it down to the minimum weight then the differences will be weight distribution and wheelbase - I don't know whether the longer wheelbase gives a more stable car?
Old 7 Oct 2014, 15:23 (Ref:3461787)   #269
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Wasn't the Mini also running the smaller engine?
Yep, the Prodrive MINI also had or has a 1.6 WRC engine with 45mm RX air-restrictor. But the better idea was to run an engine of up to 1764cc (like Marc Laboulle in his 'downsized' Citroën Xsara SuperCar in 2012), as that is the max for to have a weight advantage of 90kgs. At least prior to 2015, when all SuperCars must have 1300kgs, no matter what engine.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 17:51 (Ref:3461839)   #270
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Are there others in favour of 1.6L over 2.0L? Do you see the removal of the differing weight regulation as a sign that change might be coming?
Hard to tell. IMO Capito looks through the eyes of someone who likes to do both, WRC and WRX. And I bet that those who come from WRC would prefer WRX racing with 1.6 litre engines rather than WRC with 2.0 litre engines...
Old 8 Oct 2014, 06:07 (Ref:3462035)   #271
Janneman
Rookie

Netherlands
Janneman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So 1.6 engines?

Then it's going the same way as DTM, BTCC and so on. Manufacturers decide the rules but not all can win and will drop out. Leaving the series in a mess.

Just hope this (rallycross) promotor who runs the series has an stronger back...
Old 8 Oct 2014, 10:10 (Ref:3462117)   #272
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Well, two of them so far. One in a car that hasn't raced in the series for a while, and one in a car that's still in development. I don't think the sky is falling yet.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 04:38 (Ref:3470156)   #273
toledo47
Rookie

toledo47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vegas will be streamed live

http://www.redbullglobalrallycross.c...and-worldwide/
Old 1 Nov 2014, 14:59 (Ref:3470529)   #274
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo47 View Post
Nice to see the GRC catching up with the Livestream option. If the previous programmes of the year are any guide though, I suspect I shall end up watching it with the commentary muted!
Old 2 Nov 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3470908)   #275
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Nice to see the GRC catching up with the Livestream option. If the previous programmes of the year are any guide though, I suspect I shall end up watching it with the commentary muted!
The voice of one of them does my head in. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me. No idea of his name, but the one who repeats things over and over and over.

Saying that, I'm thrilled we're getting a livestream. Hope they continue to do one next season!