Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 24 May 2006, 06:54 (Ref:1617617)   #1
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Frazer Nash Nūrburg

Right, OK, hello there historic buffs. I am hoping you can enlighten a very ignorant person.

I love looking at old cars, and like having a flick through the Chassis Archive forum, and here to a point, and just reading. I don't have any knowledge on this stuff myself.

Anyway, a couple of hours ago, I came across what is, apparently, known as the Frazer Nash Nūrburg. The look of it grabbed me. This is the tremendously sophisiticated level I tend to operate at, .

It took a remarkably longtime to locate a couple of reasonable images, but then that is probably just my incompetence. I thought I may have found a decent head-on shot, but could not be certain it was a Nūrburg, as it was not marked, so decided to not use it. They are these two, so please feel free to let me know if they aren't in fact said car (I presume they are replicas?):

http://www.motorsnippets.com/cars/VS...%20Nurburg.htm

http://gallery.ukmotorsportpics.com/p4566940.html

Hopefully you guys can provide better ones!

Now, I had a brief flick about, and there were a couple of base bits of technical information that seemed to get repeated. Other stuff seemed to vary, but I did not look very far (at present it is 0050 and I need to get up at 0630).

Then, in a flash, it occured to me that it would make a lot more sense to ask the knowledgable folks of Ten-Tenths, rather than spend a lot of time locating what may well be wrong information! (There is also a bit of laziness chucked into it, I cannot deny that, ).

Anway, the brief bit of information that seemed to get repeated is:

- 1.5L in-line 4 cylinder, tuned Meadows engine

- 3 produced, 1932-1933

- Competition only, no doors, short chassis only

So, one and all, I would be most interested in anything you may be able to tell me about the life and times of the Frazer Nash Nūrburg.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Dutton; 24 May 2006 at 07:03.
Old 24 May 2006, 07:07 (Ref:1617622)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmm...it is meant to be an umlaut above the "u".

The straight line actually means something different (would mean to differentiate a "u" form an "m" in German handwriting, if I understand correctly).
Old 25 May 2006, 08:57 (Ref:1618465)   #3
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Nurburg was one of several FN models named after famous races and tracks. The Nurburg was a two-seater with body by Corsica. There were three built, the first being c/n 2040, registered MV2303, originally fitted with an Anzani engine and delivered in May 1932 to AFP Fane, the well-known Frazer Nash enthusiast and competitor. Later in 1932 it was fitted with the first of three Meadows engines.

c/n 2069 was registered JB1285 and was sold via R Brooke of Reading to a Mr Kennedy in December 1932. Meadows engine, changed for another Meadows in November 1933.

c/n 2081 was registered AMD553 and was sold to a Mr Sayers in May 1933. Meadows engine. This car was painted blue and sported a chrome-plated outside exhaust system.

All info from the chassis register in DSJ's "From Chain Drive to Turbocharger".

Last edited by Vitesse; 25 May 2006 at 08:59.

Bob Marley
Old 25 May 2006, 09:29 (Ref:1618482)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great question from Dutton; excellent reply from Vitesse - straight into the chassis archive, I think!
Old 11 Jun 2007, 11:17 (Ref:1933840)   #5
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just found this thread. I can confirm the car shown in http://gallery.ukmotorsportpics.com/p4566940.html is the Fane car MV2303 which has been owned and raced by Dick Smith for many years. I think I am correct in saying that this car actually took part in the 1932 German Grand Prix, hence the Nurburg appelation.
JB1285 after many years in Canada recently returned to the UK and I believe is now owned by Bill Ainscough while AMD553 was owned by the late Ian Stirling for many years. I'm not sure of its current whereabouts.
Also an outside exhaust system was a feature of all three cars.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 16:06 (Ref:1959814)   #6
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the subject ever moves onto Post-War AFNs, this page might be helpful:

http://www.frazernash-usa.com/afncars.htm