Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 11 Jul 2012, 13:53 (Ref:3105136)   #801
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If that is indeed true, then it will be good to see Olaf at the helm.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 13:57 (Ref:3105138)   #802
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Getting back to our fun specualtion on possible driver's line-ups. Here is a possible line-up:
Car#1
Dumas
Bernhard
Hiedfeld
Car#2
Leib
Lietz
Long
Car#3
Luhr
Graf
Bleekemolen
Old 11 Jul 2012, 14:02 (Ref:3105144)   #803
Lorenzo S
Racer

England
Dordrecht, the Netherlands
Lorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I heard Manthey will run the proto , and will be a semi works team .
??? Not asking you to reveal your source but are you saying there will not be any Porsche Works team in 2014 and that there will only be a "works supported" GT in 2013 and LMP1 in 2014 run by Manthey?

Having seen the Porsche factory promotional videos talking up their return to the top-flight, I'm finding this very hard to believe/understand.

If you are right, does the VW take-over of Porsche AG have anything to do with it?
Old 11 Jul 2012, 14:21 (Ref:3105158)   #804
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
From what Ive heard , the Gt teams will stay pretty much as is . I only heard mention of Manthey running the P1 effort ..... with Manthey running a Porsche in the WEC next year in preparation .
Old 11 Jul 2012, 14:28 (Ref:3105159)   #805
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo S View Post
??? Not asking you to reveal your source but are you saying there will not be any Porsche Works team in 2014 and that there will only be a "works supported" GT in 2013 and LMP1 in 2014 run by Manthey?

Having seen the Porsche factory promotional videos talking up their return to the top-flight, I'm finding this very hard to believe/understand.

If you are right, does the VW take-over of Porsche AG have anything to do with it?
Quote:
From what Ive heard , the Gt teams will stay pretty much as is . I only heard mention of Manthey running the P1 effort ..... with Manthey running a Porsche in the WEC next year in preparation .
I don't think we will see Porsche just supplying a car and some funding to Manthey, i expect it to be a Audi/Joest, Toyota/Oreca effort.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 14:38 (Ref:3105162)   #806
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
manthey was the main partner of porsche in VLN and 24h of nurburgring because the team has an incredible experience in nurburgring ride. Only this year they started again to watch beyond VLN but i sincerly can't understand why porsche should use manthey that the only LM experience was when ran 911 gt2 in late '90 as work team for the lmp1 project.
Audi and Toyota have as partnet teams that have a lot of experience at le mans, surely manthey LM curriculum can't be compared to oreca or joest.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 14:53 (Ref:3105171)   #807
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
As I've mentioned before if that were to happen, Manthey would only be the 'shell' for the works team, like it was when they ran the hybrid. It was entered under Manthey, but that was about the extent of Olaf's involvement, with factory personell actually running the car.

Motorsport-Total says that it might make sense to run it like that to get the employees of the race team out of the Porsche AG structure and to avoid being tied down by excessive labor legislation.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3105179)   #808
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I don't think we will see Porsche just supplying a car and some funding to Manthey, i expect it to be a Audi/Joest, Toyota/Oreca effort.
yes , thats what Ive heard , and ment by semi works outfit .
Old 11 Jul 2012, 17:36 (Ref:3105237)   #809
The Badger
Veteran

Manthey racing is very well respected within the Porsche circle .

Lets not forget who ran the first 2 996 GT3 RSR at Le Mans ..... one for Manthey Racing and one for Champion ..... both run by Manthey , and won their class too .

Im only saying what Ive heard , and that is Manthey will run a Gt Porsche in the WEC in 2013 , getting a team prepared for a semi works effort in the WEC in 2014 ..... thats it , no more to add .
Old 11 Jul 2012, 17:47 (Ref:3105244)   #810
Flo aus N
Rookie

Flo aus N should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, you shouldn't forget, that Manthey is their most supported Team or THEIR Worksteam. Just have a look at the 24H or VLN races: Mechanics, Drivers and even a lot of Engineers, which are working, are directly from Porsche. The RSR or the the GT3 R ran by Manthey are cars, which are supported with the best of the best development parts Porsche has. In that case, Manthey is way more a Worksteam than Flying Lizard or Felbermayer.

They are racing in GT Open, because Porsche wanted to do them and their yellow and green GT3 R is likely more developed than any other GT3 R around ;-) (This also was a important part on discussions in the 2010 VLN mid-season, when they had a look how much power this GT3 R really has and when the Split Mamerow/ Porsche came around)

So due to that, i would not be surprised if Manthey would be part of ther 2013 GTE-Programm
Old 12 Jul 2012, 12:36 (Ref:3105567)   #811
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo aus N View Post
So due to that, i would not be surprised if Manthey would be part of ther 2013 GTE-Programm
That would be no surprise but to me a Manthey lmp effort would be unless it's a shell arrangement which would make more sense.

One thought that sprang to mind just before.

Norbert Singer-would he have any involvement in Porsches new LMP? I'm not sure if he's retired or not.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 12:56 (Ref:3105584)   #812
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Norbert Singer-would he have any involvement in Porsches new LMP? I'm not sure if he's retired or not.
Norbert Singer has been working for the ACO for the last year and a half. Probably in the technical regulations department...
Old 12 Jul 2012, 13:07 (Ref:3105593)   #813
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
That would be no surprise but to me a Manthey lmp effort would be unless it's a shell arrangement which would make more sense.

One thought that sprang to mind just before.

Norbert Singer is officially retired from Porsche, but he still does some consulting work for them (or did until relatively recently).
He consulted for Porsche as the rules liaison with the FiA and the ACO

Last edited by Spyderman; 12 Jul 2012 at 13:17.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 19:40 (Ref:3105728)   #814
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Getting back to our fun specualtion on possible driver's line-ups. Here is a possible line-up:
Car#1
Dumas
Bernhard
Hiedfeld
Car#2
Leib
Lietz
Long
Car#3
Luhr
Graf
Bleekemolen
Good call about Luhr and Graf. I almost forgot about them. But if Muscle Milk doesnt go to Le Mans then we can expect to see these two guys in some kind of Porsche. Luhr is very much one of the best and I still cannot grasp why he left Audi.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 21:06 (Ref:3105756)   #815
The Badger
Veteran

Graff in a P1 Porsche , cant see that happening , at all .
Old 12 Jul 2012, 21:10 (Ref:3105760)   #816
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's German. That certainly makes things easier. It wouldnt be permanent but just a third car at Le Mans for Graf and Luhr who gave the Porsche RS Spyder a memorable send off.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3105774)   #817
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
He's German. That certainly makes things easier. It wouldnt be permanent but just a third car at Le Mans for Graf and Luhr who gave the Porsche RS Spyder a memorable send off.
I don't think nationality matter much in 2014. You take the best you can get no matter to where they are from
Old 12 Jul 2012, 21:38 (Ref:3105782)   #818
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I don't think nationality matter much in 2014. You take the best you can get no matter to where they are from
I think i should have added. He is one of the quickest and German. So when you are faced with choosing equally quick people and one is German...And when the team is predominantly german(Manthey)..A German driver breaks the language barrier. I always think back to this funny comment Pat Long made on Tv at Le Mans when he was racing with Imsa Performance Matmut and they taught him all of three words to make sure he knew when to pit as the team was French. Anyway being german and quick is an advantage right?

When is the last time you have seen Klaus Graf crash a outside of last years Mosport? I can't even find such an incident on Youtube/google. He's quick consistent so he has as good a chance as anyone else in my opinion.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 21:43 (Ref:3105786)   #819
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
I think i should have added. He is one of the quickest and German. So when you are faced with choosing equally quick people and one is German...And when the team is predominantly german(Manthey)..A German driver breaks the language barrier. I always think back to this funny comment Pat Long made on Tv at Le Mans when he was racing with Imsa Performance Matmut and they taught him all of three words to make sure he knew when to pit as the team was French. Anyway being german and quick is an advantage right?
True. If you got two equal drivers, and one of them is of the same nationality as the team, he is likely to be chosen. Otherwise, i don't see it happening in 2014 .
Old 12 Jul 2012, 21:56 (Ref:3105794)   #820
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
So is Thomas Bsher , thats no reason .

I wish works teams were limited to 2 chassis per team .
Old 12 Jul 2012, 21:58 (Ref:3105797)   #821
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
So is Thomas Bsher , thats no reason .

I wish works teams were limited to 2 chassis per team .
I agree.
And the renaming the 3rd car should be banished too.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 21:59 (Ref:3105798)   #822
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Graff in a P1 Porsche , cant see that happening , at all .
If Pickett gets his customer car, I think it's very likely. In a works car? Nope.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 22:10 (Ref:3105805)   #823
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The problem with Graf is: He's one of the quickest. In ALMS. In 2010 and onwards.

See how that argument gets less and less compelling?

He hasn't ever really had a chance to show his stuff against the kind of opposition factory squads from Audi and Toyota would provide, and I think that will huer his chances.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 00:21 (Ref:3105840)   #824
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
If Pickett gets his customer car, I think it's very likely. In a works car? Nope.
What customer car !!! ..... There wont be any Porsche P1 customer cars until at least 2015 . If MM get one , then yes , I can see Graff in it ..... but why wouldnt they want to stay with HPD ..... HPD are looking to get involved more , so why not stay with something they know , and works .
Old 13 Jul 2012, 00:23 (Ref:3105841)   #825
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
He hasn't ever really had a chance to show his stuff against the kind of opposition factory squads from Audi and Toyota would provide
Yes he has , he raced a Panoz for Don in the LAMS , and didnt do very much at all . He raced a Panoz P1 for Den Bla Avis and didnt do much either .

To be honest , I dont really rate him as brilliant at all .