Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 6 May 2007, 08:18 (Ref:1907473)   #51
twisted
Rookie

Australia
South Australia
twisted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know how strange it is. I was talking to a person interstate about about carbon fibre and he told me his next door neighbour was excited because he put a new style manifold on his hillclimb car and it gave him a great boost to horsepower. When I asked his name it was Peter Gumley!
Gary West is rumoured not to be defending his title at Mt Cotton due to his
budget or lack of it...two many thousand of kilometers of driving to get there!
Old 7 May 2007, 08:29 (Ref:1908168)   #52
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame there that West wont run, but it is a very long drive so I can understand his thoughts. Costs with just getting there would be massive. We need someone over here to buy the Pilbeam and run it as well.
Old 7 May 2007, 08:39 (Ref:1908171)   #53
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms
Don't underestimate the Oz cars. I am sure Martin and David don't.

Bathurst is our fastest hill and most typical hills are rough surfaces and low speed. U.K. hills appear to be much higher speeds. Phillip Island would suit the Gould.

Mt Cotton is completly different to Bathurst and the Gary West Lola and the Gould will find it a struggle against the SCV.

The SCV would struggle on U.K. hills in its current form, but given 12 months to sort it out, it would be an outright contender against the more fancied marques.
I disagree. Although I haven't been to all of the UK or Aus hillclimbs I wouldn't agree that UK hillclimbs have higher speeds.

One thing about each competitor you are talking about, the Gould chassis or the Aus top runners, each have tons of experience on their respective tracks thus should be expected to win there.
Old 17 May 2007, 12:22 (Ref:1915312)   #54
rms
Rookie

rms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
I disagree. Although I haven't been to all of the UK or Aus hillclimbs I wouldn't agree that UK hillclimbs have higher speeds.

One thing about each competitor you are talking about, the Gould chassis or the Aus top runners, each have tons of experience on their respective tracks thus should be expected to win there.
I have only seen on car video of the UK hillclimbs and they have much higher terminal speeds and corner speeds than the typical OZ hillclimb. Bathurst has a max speed of around 125 mph.

Mt Cottton has a max speed of around 100 mph and the fastest corner is 50 mph.

Most of our hills are overgrown gokart tracks. The 'powers that be' would have a coronary if you could transplant the UK hills to OZ. "Too fast, no armco, etc"

Yes, of course the top runners would be expected to win in their respective countrys, just that I believe the UK cars (not drivers) would have a hard time on typical OZ hills, just as the OZ cars would on UK hills.

BTW I have driven outright cars on most OZ hills (quite a while ago) and would have loved to have had a go at the UK hills.
Old 17 May 2007, 12:39 (Ref:1915322)   #55
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have you got any links to websites or details of Aus hillclimbs? Many of us up here would be very interested in the comparison. I know over in NZ hillclimbs tend to be of the rally variety such as the Queenstown race, and I believe they also run on public roads in some places, but still for rally cars rather than single seaters - I'd be happy to be corrected if that is wrong. The impression I'd got of Aus is that it is more similar to the NZ style on the whole, but going by your post, that's clearly a misconception.
Old 17 May 2007, 13:22 (Ref:1915342)   #56
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
The impression I'd got of Aus is that it is more similar to the NZ style on the whole, but going by your post, that's clearly a misconception.
Tut-tut Wooley! Obviously not been getting the old Speedscene Magazine! They have frequently run reports/surveys on Australian Hillclimbing.

Old 18 May 2007, 08:25 (Ref:1915844)   #57
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Tut-tut Wooley! Obviously not been getting the old Speedscene Magazine! They have frequently run reports/surveys on Australian Hillclimbing.

We're still waiting to see some free ones (as promised) at sign on.
Old 18 May 2007, 08:26 (Ref:1915846)   #58
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
We're still waiting to see some free ones (as promised) at sign on.

Hope your not holding your breath
Old 21 May 2007, 08:29 (Ref:1917732)   #59
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Have you got any links to websites or details of Aus hillclimbs? Many of us up here would be very interested in the comparison. I know over in NZ hillclimbs tend to be of the rally variety such as the Queenstown race, and I believe they also run on public roads in some places, but still for rally cars rather than single seaters - I'd be happy to be corrected if that is wrong. The impression I'd got of Aus is that it is more similar to the NZ style on the whole, but going by your post, that's clearly a misconception.
These are only Victorian Hillclimb's...

Victorian hillclimb circuit Rob Roy in the Christmas Hills about 30 minutes from Melbourne. Hill Record is Gould GR55B with 18.09...Slowest corner is blind 3rd gear. This is the only track I have competed on personally.
http://mgcc.com.au/robroy/index.shtml
It is owned by the MG Car Club of Victoria

The others are...
-The Morwell hillclimb track was literally a Go Kart track but has been killed off as they build a new one, no corner was faster than 2nd gear and never got out of 4th.
-Mt Leura is a track that goes up the side of a hill (old volcano to be correct) which had no railing on the outside on the way up.
-The newest one is Phillip Island which uses the GP Circuit so it is quite wide and flowing.

You can view all the Australian tracks via Google Maps on the Australian Hillclimbing site....
http://www.hillclimbracing.com/compo...aps/Itemid,20/
Old 21 May 2007, 16:08 (Ref:1918124)   #60
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
The Victoria one looks like a mini Shelsley.

At $80 for an entry i'm thinking about doing it myself.
Old 6 Jul 2007, 10:29 (Ref:1955956)   #61
Seljak
Rookie

Croatia
Seljak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have in car and external footage of our car at the mt leura hill climb in may. Tomorrow is 5th round of the victorian hill climb championship at the DECA driver training center in shepparton, ill try and get some footage from that.

Ive seen some footage of hill climbing in europe and you guys are crazy. Id need a new pair of jocks after every run after watching some of the tracks that you guys race on. Our tracks are pretty tame in comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asy46w9mA1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-uYfH726Q8
Old 9 Jul 2007, 22:50 (Ref:1959149)   #62
twisted
Rookie

Australia
South Australia
twisted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
The Victoria one looks like a mini Shelsley.

At $80 for an entry i'm thinking about doing it myself.
Collingrove Hillclimb in SA is $55 Aussie bucks For members...29 English pounds!
I am doing a web site soon
http://collingrovehillclimb.com.au
Starting with the history 1952 on.....

Last edited by twisted; 9 Jul 2007 at 22:52.