Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 11 Jul 2012, 06:57 (Ref:3104953)   #1
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Pittsburgh Grand Prix

Would be a combined ALMS/Indycar weekend.

Track was drawn up as counter-clockwise, but then i noticed if ran clockwise it would have perfect runoff. Takes you past PNC Park(MLB's Pittsburgh Pirates field), and Heinz Field(NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers field). Paddock is located north of the pits. Blue sections are grandstands.

With Google Earth removed:

Feedback always welcome!
Old 11 Jul 2012, 10:51 (Ref:3105029)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How long would that circuit be?
Old 11 Jul 2012, 14:42 (Ref:3105164)   #3
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How is the circuit going to get upstairs onto that bridge at that kink which is Turn 3?

Apart from that, it's a great place to choose for a street circuit. And that backstretch is one helluva run.

Thanks for posting.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3105200)   #4
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
How long would that circuit be?
Says it on the first image, 1,86 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
How is the circuit going to get upstairs onto that bridge at that kink which is Turn 3?

Apart from that, it's a great place to choose for a street circuit. And that backstretch is one helluva run.

Thanks for posting.
Would run under the highway.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 16:10 (Ref:3105202)   #5
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, he.. yeah. Go Steelers. It's summer and I appologize for not being up to speed on this one. Matt, where is this proposal coming from? Just curious.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 17:24 (Ref:3105231)   #6
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, I'm not to enthousiast about your design. Some flaws:
-Not to many overtaking-opportunities. The only long straight is followed by a fast corner, so it becomes more difficult to overtake there.
-There are 9 90-degree corners. It is hard to not have them in an american city, but one can at least try.
-the first corner is impossible. Under the highway is a forest of steel poles. That makes for at best a very tight corner, not suitable as first corner after a sizable straight.

BTW, my critisism is on the track when driven clockwise. Anticlockwise I see some problems with runoffs.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 17:31 (Ref:3105235)   #7
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've made an alternative. I think it solves all my points. Overtaking in turns 1, 9 and maybe 4, There are hairpins at 1 and 3, a chicane, and a few round corners (2, 6, 7 and 8) that did not feature at all in the original design. The Mickey-mouse section and chicane are also a nice place for spectators.

A problem that stays is turn 9. It's very narrow over there.
Attached Thumbnails
pittsburgh.jpg  

Last edited by werner; 11 Jul 2012 at 17:32. Reason: forgot to upload image
Old 12 Jul 2012, 01:13 (Ref:3105396)   #8
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just what America needs. More street courses.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 01:53 (Ref:3105403)   #9
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Oh, jeez, post your negativity elsewhere.

I love the track!
Old 12 Jul 2012, 02:10 (Ref:3105409)   #10
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
I like street circuits because you have to use what you've got.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 14:23 (Ref:3105616)   #11
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
I got a bit intrigued by this city. I designed another proposal, witch is more located downtown. The paddock is located near the icehockeystadiums. From there the drivers head to the citycenter, then head for the university, and go downtown again. They pass the cityhall, go along Grant Street, and back to Mellon hall again.

Turn 1 has a very wide entry, is quite quick, but very near the apex is a big building, making the corner blind. That is a feature the drivers have to negotiate more times this lap. After the corner the drivers go downhill into a tunnel under a building. the exit of the tunnel more or less marks the turn-in pont for corner 2. The corner is very bumpy, because the road goes downhill, and crosses sixt avenue. To make matters more interesting, the very sharp third corner has already to be prepared in the exit of turn 2. From turn 3 we go under the highway, and uphill again through the kink at 4. From 3 to 4 the track is pretty narrow, after 4 it is a bit wider again.
On the map turn 5 looks like a straightforward 90 degree righthander, but it is a bit more difficult, since the road goes steeply uphill from 5 to 6. From 6 we hit the fastest part of the track. The kink turn 7 is scary. Maybe the best comparison is 'maison blanche' at a very old version of the circuit of Le Mans, since there is a building on just a few inches from the apex (offcource nicely put just behind the armco) At 8 drivers can overtake in a very straightforward righthander.
turn 9 is a similar corner after a decent straight. Immediately afterwards the racers drive though the flowing corners 10 and 11, were 11 is quite narrow. From the kink at 12 there are a lot of spectators, watching the braking for turn 13, the full throttle long turn 14, and the last opportunity to overtake at 15.
Attached Thumbnails
pittsburgh 2.jpg  
Old 12 Jul 2012, 18:16 (Ref:3105701)   #12
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.... and idyllically situated at the confluence of the Allegheny and the Monongahela Rivers to boot....

Honorary Starter- must be Terry Bradshaw!

Last edited by Clive Brown; 12 Jul 2012 at 18:29. Reason: Literacy
Old 12 Jul 2012, 19:37 (Ref:3105726)   #13
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I also dislike circuits comprised mainly of sharp ninety-degree corners, but I also have a problem with 1.86 miles. That's awful short. That might work for a lower-performance series, I guess. Between the short distances and series of tight, sharp elbows, a lap is basically a low-speed zig-zag through a series of ninety-degree turns. It's Motegi.
Old 14 Jul 2012, 00:34 (Ref:3106212)   #14
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My biggest problem with the original design is that, one, the top half seems too stop-n-tart: short straights joined by slow right angle turns. I don't see too much excitement here - and certainly not much in the overtaking department.

And also, in general: the track could do with some more overtaking spots.

But the bottom part looks great!

bio