Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Nov 2014, 15:07 (Ref:3478605)   #1
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you recommend a good rev. limiter?

All, I am looking for a good rev limiter. I have used the Omex product for a while but I found that it caused a miss-fire. I replaced the item twice, worked for a while then the miss-fire started again. What do you guys use, other than your right foot!

Thanks,

Ian.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 15:13 (Ref:3478608)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I use my ears
Old 25 Nov 2014, 15:39 (Ref:3478614)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
theyre a waste of time and money. cause more problems than they cure and they won't stop an engine over revving if you down shift and get it all wrong.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 16:09 (Ref:3478624)   #4
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
theyre a waste of time and money. cause more problems than they cure and they won't stop an engine over revving if you down shift and get it all wrong.
Spot on Jo, block of wood under the pedal works but not if you miss one,
3/8 nut taped over the button used to stop drivers from resetting the tell tale as they came up the pit lane....
Old 25 Nov 2014, 16:42 (Ref:3478628)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Set yourself a limit of 1000 below what it goes to and change gear there.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 17:20 (Ref:3478646)   #6
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am more concerned about accidental over-reving. The last time I lunched my engine it was after I was forced off line in the rain and had the rear wheels on the grass when I hit the go button hard - spun the wheels and goodbye engine...stupid, but would have been avoidable with a limiter.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 18:40 (Ref:3478665)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Despite what is said about the devices (and can't disagree), if you really want a 'less expensive' unit think the choice is limited to what you have or Micro Dynamics?

I've only got experience of the Omex Clubman, and not had a problem. The wiring is so simple that if you ever have a misfire to diagnose, just removing one wire from the coil will tell you if problem is the limiter or something else.

Old 25 Nov 2014, 19:25 (Ref:3478671)   #8
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Despite what is said about the devices (and can't disagree), if you really want a 'less expensive' unit think the choice is limited to what you have or Micro Dynamics?

I've only got experience of the Omex Clubman, and not had a problem. The wiring is so simple that if you ever have a misfire to diagnose, just removing one wire from the coil will tell you if problem is the limiter or something else.

Got to agree with Mike. Iv'e used omex for 5 seasons.Never had a misfire.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3478678)   #9
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find building your own engines and paying the bills directly works for me
N.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 09:11 (Ref:3478808)   #10
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An electronically switched-on friend tells me that some ignition systems have some form of 'feed-back' with rev counters and limiters. They eventually break down the unit. We both had Aldons fitted and over a 5 year period these symptoms came about. Got different systems - no problems.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 22:30 (Ref:3479081)   #11
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I fully agree

rev limiter is only good if you are too stupid to change up down the straight

they wont work fast enough if you miss a gear, either going up or down

and the AAALLLWAAYYYS !!! end up causing misfires

so not worth the trouble

R.E.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 22:43 (Ref:3479091)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've fitted one to a race car and another to a road car. Main reason is for others driving the car who are not used to it. However it does catch it if wheels spin too quick with a loss of traction. Obviously it won't protect a poor downshift.

I did once have an unrelated ignition problem and, as mentioned above, it is easy to eliminate the limiter from the diagnosis. So there is no hassle there.

As I've never had a problem, I am not of the opinion that it does any harm. I use the OMEX clubman one. It is easy to use and set up for different engines.
Old 27 Nov 2014, 07:15 (Ref:3479185)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post

rev limiter is only good if you are too stupid to change up down the straight

R.E.
Mmm, think that is an over simplification of the benefits of a Rev limiter!

So, in conclusion, they are either always causing misfires, or no trouble at all!

Marmite anyone?

Old 27 Nov 2014, 21:05 (Ref:3479381)   #14
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike, I'll have my Marmite spread thickly on some toast please.

I've tried both Micro Dynamics and Omex in the past and had misfire problems with both.

To be honest I think the best rev limiter is the link between my bank balance and my right foot. Don't use any form of electronic limiter now.

Pass another slice of that savoury delight please.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 07:09 (Ref:3479501)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
OK! Taking dikkos's comments as a start, it would be interesting to learn if the devices cause problems with particular ignition systems. Have people had problems using them with points and condenser, for instance, or with a particular make of electronic ignition? Dikko mentions one type....

Old 28 Nov 2014, 12:34 (Ref:3479556)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
We used to get problems with Les Twin cam on points, cant remember if it was omex or micro Dynamics. high rpm misfires mostly.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 13:33 (Ref:3479572)   #17
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I had an Omex one with a Luminition ignition and it caused misfires at varying revs or would cut in too early.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 17:07 (Ref:3479626)   #18
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I had an Omex one with a Luminition ignition and it caused misfires at varying revs or would cut in too early.
Hold on Tim, you said that you used your ears earlier in this topic

Were your ears deceiving you, or can you be more specific in giving us all audible advice for rev limiting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28 Nov 2014, 22:05 (Ref:3479737)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
Hold on Tim, you said that you used your ears earlier in this topic

Were your ears deceiving you, or can you be more specific in giving us all audible advice for rev limiting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I use my ears now but did try a rev limiter once. If you need help try this, I find it helps.
Old 29 Nov 2014, 07:05 (Ref:3479826)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought he was dead and buried Tim
Old 29 Nov 2014, 12:19 (Ref:3479899)   #21
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I use my ears now but did try a rev limiter once. If you need help try this, I find it helps.

So you would seriously recommend one if your hopping along at a fair old rate of knots in a Frog eyed Sprite !!!!!!!!
Old 30 Nov 2014, 09:02 (Ref:3480183)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh dear, I fear this thread has croaked its last!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 30 Nov 2014, 11:38 (Ref:3480204)   #23
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One problem we found with rev-limiters is that if it works by cutting every other spark the cylinder is still filling with fuel, consequently the next ignition is rather more powerful which doesn't do the pistons any favours.

Modern ECU controlled systems cut the fuel as well as (or instead of) the ignition which avoids the problem but might be frowned upon in historics.
Old 30 Nov 2014, 12:41 (Ref:3480215)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
One problem we found with rev-limiters is that if it works by cutting every other spark the cylinder is still filling with fuel, consequently the next ignition is rather more powerful which doesn't do the pistons any favours.

Modern ECU controlled systems cut the fuel as well as (or instead of) the ignition which avoids the problem but might be frowned upon in historics.
Probably not all historics....

Interesting point about the unburnt fuel. Something to keep in mind. If I do have a limiter fitted, it would be set higher than normal change up point so hopefully only operating in 'emergency' situations.

Crazy Frog- "The most annoying thing in the World" according to this

And strange as it may seem, Axel F is on my mp3 playlist.
Old 30 Nov 2014, 15:03 (Ref:3480242)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As a general thought, many of the answers in this thread remind me of the arguments had between Microsoft and Apple proponents. In that case whenever anyone complains about MS, the answer is "buy a Mac". Complete ******** frankly.

Yes rev limiters do break down and yes, you have to experiment to find one to suit your system. However replacing a rev limiter is much cheaper than an engine rebuild.

If you use a smoothcut type then the unburnt fuel problem is diminished and don't forget it is only there to stop you over revving so set it to a sensible limit and you don't need to use it as a "change light."