Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jun 2004, 18:15 (Ref:996486)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Renault to Quit F1?

Renault are apparently close to entering the WRC which would probably mean the end of the F1 team, at least as anything more than an engine maker.

It has been reported renault would only fund one world cahmpionship program.

Autosport also reported, earlier this season, that the Renault management had given the team 2 years to win the WC before pulling the plug on the team.

So what do you think will happen.

First Jaguar, now potentially Renault, who's next?

IMO, manufactuers should stick to supplying engines.

Last edited by JAG; 7 Jun 2004 at 18:16.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 18:20 (Ref:996490)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, that's a terribly short amount of time for a team to win a title.....this can't be right, surely?
Old 7 Jun 2004, 18:31 (Ref:996501)   #3
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It won't happen. They're not going to quit F1, that would be extremely stupid. They can enter WRC if they want, but that definitelly doesn't mean to quit F1 programme, especially since they bought a team of their own.

Not now, they can do it if they win a championship, but no sooner. That'll be a advertising disaster.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 18:38 (Ref:996512)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't believe a major carmaker will have a short program in F1, this is non sense.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 18:39 (Ref:996514)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where did you hear this, JAG?
Old 7 Jun 2004, 18:41 (Ref:996517)   #6
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess at the end of the day its down to money and what they are getting in return. With Citroen and Peugeot doing well in the world rally championship I can understand why Renault want to get in there. If they do quit f1 it will set alarm bells ringing in the world of f1.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 18:41 (Ref:996518)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Lemme take a wild guess..... Autosport?
Old 7 Jun 2004, 18:43 (Ref:996520)   #8
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
I just seen it on sky sports text.....very interesting.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 18:44 (Ref:996521)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Pole2pole, sorry, but I strongly disagree. Beating Peugeot in WRC is of course not bad at all, but staying in F1, something that Peugeot kinda failed to do, is much better. So, if Renault enters WRC, they'd definitelly won't quit F1. Unless they're idiots, but my nose tells me that idiots are they not..
Old 7 Jun 2004, 19:02 (Ref:996535)   #10
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
I hope they remain in f1 they have made a massive commitment in the sport which is a clear sign that they are here for while. Its one big business I wonder what sells more cars racing in F1 or rallying
Old 7 Jun 2004, 19:11 (Ref:996546)   #11
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
F1. Obviously. Cynical point of view, I agree, but only this and Renault are in F1 for a little longer.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 20:29 (Ref:996622)   #12
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here here!
Old 7 Jun 2004, 21:09 (Ref:996663)   #13
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First I've heard of it.Flav would have heart failure.I do know that Renualt want to compete in the WRC as they are loosing sales to Peugeot and Citroen but to sacrifice the F1 team I don't think so.From what I have heard is Renault want to compete in some WRC rounds as early as next year on a test basis.My understanding is if this happens the cars would be able to run but would be unclassified and not officially timed.(similar to Citroens first year and Skodas return).I do know that part of the Renault F1 design team have worked on this project to assist in the preperation of a prototype for testing at Michelins test facility in Spain.

The Grumpy1
Old 7 Jun 2004, 21:26 (Ref:996672)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not on Autosport, as has been implied here.

It's not true.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 21:43 (Ref:996687)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I doubt Renault will be pulling out in the short-term. They want F1 success.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 21:49 (Ref:996691)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not in a million years (well, maybe...)

Renault don't go to all the bother they have to simply pull the plug after 4/5 years as an outright team.

Like KB said - that article on Autosport never mentioned withdrawing from F1 - I still can't see why people think car manufacturers can't compete on two world stages..
Old 7 Jun 2004, 21:54 (Ref:996700)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What did they do the last time, launched in 1981, gone by 1985....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 7 Jun 2004, 22:02 (Ref:996708)   #18
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If Ferrari can run in G.T F1 and designated Ferrari championships why is this a problem for Renault. Toyota didn't leave G.T and Rally to do f1 ( Did They)??
Old 7 Jun 2004, 22:03 (Ref:996710)   #19
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The statement about the management giving the team 2 years to win the WC was in Autosport around March, April time.

I do not follow F1 closely these days, so was pretty shocked when I read this. As I say, the same article said any WRC program would mean the end of the F1 program, at least as a chassis constructor.

Peugeot dropped its F1 program for the WRC, so its hardly imporbable.

Even Mosely himself has stated on many times that F1 cannot sustain the number of manufactuers that are currently competing. Jaguars reputation has taken a beating, and is considered a bit of a joke these days, which should never have been allowed to happen by the Ford management.

Renaults main competitors are Peugeot and Citroen, plus of course the likes of Ford.

The difference between now and the past is that F1 budgets have increased 100-200%+ so manufactuers cannot justify the expense of an F1 program without winning, regularly.

F1 budgets do afterall come out of the marketingbudget. What would the bean counters prefer, £40-£50m to compete in the WRC against your biggest rivals, plus the various one make series etc. or £100m+ for an F1 team that, at best wins a couple of races a year.

IMO, it would be much better if Renault, and Ford etc, supplied engines to the likes of Jordan, Sauber etc. rather than driving out the privateers.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 22:06 (Ref:996712)   #20
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Fielden
If Ferrari can run in G.T F1 and designated Ferrari championships why is this a problem for Renault. Toyota didn't leave G.T and Rally to do f1 ( Did They)??
Ferraris GT program is a profit making customer service, supplying cars to customers after demand from them.

Only the Maserati program is a true works program, and that is, obviously, to promote Maserati.

The main point is that for an F1 budget you could enter every major motor racing series.

BTW Toyota did leave Le Mans and the WRC to enter F1.

Last edited by JAG; 7 Jun 2004 at 22:11.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 22:08 (Ref:996715)   #21
swatty
Rookie

swatty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Originally posted by GTRMagic

Quote:
In the 80's Renauly entered F1 to sell turbocharged road cars, once they had prooved the superiority of the forced induction engines they reduced their F1 spending but continued to supply Williams and others with engines.

They entered F1 this time to push the technology, not sure they will do that until they can make significant inroads onf the constructors title, once they have done that then maybe they will leave, but that depends on the amount of Euros they have to spend
Old 7 Jun 2004, 22:09 (Ref:996717)   #22
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
lauched in 1977 gone in 85 (as team continued til 86 as engine supplier to Lotus) back in 89.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 22:43 (Ref:996742)   #23
JAG
Veteran

England
This is from the Autosport article:-

From Patrick Faure,

'Any time there are changes and there are rumours'. But I can promise you that Renault will be here next year and the year after'.

Autosport said:-

Renault has been linked with a possible entry into the World Rally Championship, where it would take on rival French manufactuers Peugeot and Ctroen. It is unlikely that Renault would simultaniously bankroll F1 and the WRC programmes.

The new Renault President Carlos Ghosn is apparently not an F1 fan.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 22:52 (Ref:996751)   #24
Poddy
Rookie

Poddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Renaults main competitors are Peugeot and Citroen, plus of course the likes of Ford.
Yeah, that makes perfect sense - a Megane WRC car would almost certainly look better going head-to-head with the likes of the Xsara, Focus, 307, etc (well, provided it was winning, of course).

What that could then do is free up the company's F1 operation to be run under a different mantel - with Toyota and Honda now heavily investing in F1, it may be better for Renault to run the F1 team under the banner of Nissan so it can compete with its core competitors just like Renault Vs. Citroen Vs. Ford Vs. Pugeot in the WRC.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 23:02 (Ref:996759)   #25
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see the reasoning behind a WRC bid but I just don't thin kit will happen Renault is seen as one of the most succesful teams in F1 right now which has a lot more marketing power than WRC