Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Feb 2012, 14:35 (Ref:3022667)   #26
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't see RBR ditching the proven works Renault for an untried VW. I don't see VW plucking for a junior team with STR. What might happen is that they take over STR outright. But then again I'll be shocked if VW enter F1 at all - aside from their present peripheral involvement as mentioned already.
Old 10 May 2012, 13:09 (Ref:3072246)   #27
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
VW will not be joining F1 in the next few years. Jost Capito (new head of VW motorsport) confirmed this today. He sees the WRC as where VW will be for the forseeable future.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99467
Old 10 May 2012, 13:49 (Ref:3072263)   #28
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
VAG would seem to be doing rather well without the need to enter a competition for which its current technology (downsized turbo engines) would seem to be the perfect fit.

Maybe some other factors involved? Like for instance, Bernie isn't going to be giving cash incentives to VW like the huge ones that Ferrari and a few others will be getting for their 'historical' attributes. Nothing like being 'shafted' by the people who run things before you even begin to think about taking part in this 'sport'.
Old 10 May 2012, 15:12 (Ref:3072281)   #29
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
VW will not be joining F1 in the next few years. Jost Capito (new head of VW motorsport) confirmed this today. He sees the WRC as where VW will be for the forseeable future.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99467
Fine then.
Old 10 May 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3072394)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A company who has never been in F1, never really considered it and still isn't entering it. F1 has been snubbed! How will it recover? It is dead, gone and STCC is now the major force in motortsport.
Old 10 May 2012, 21:52 (Ref:3072438)   #31
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think VW could be in F1 as itself when it can use brands with history in the series like Porsche and Lamborghini. Even Audi, embarked on its Le Mans success.
Old 10 May 2012, 22:21 (Ref:3072450)   #32
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Does this decision rule out Audi, Porsche & Co? Will Skoda have a go?

I can see it all now. 'Congratulations to Carlos Sainz Jr for winning the Moscow GP 2019 in a Skoda WTF06'. Mmmm.
Old 10 May 2012, 22:47 (Ref:3072459)   #33
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Audi recently acquired Ducati, and that's not a bad little company, particularly with regard to technology, to get your hands on.

So, you don't really need to race anything yourself if its makes more sense just to buy the company that already has the technology and racing heritage you were looking for.
Old 11 May 2012, 02:05 (Ref:3072500)   #34
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Audi recently acquired Ducati, and that's not a bad little company, particularly with regard to technology, to get your hands on.

So, you don't really need to race anything yourself if its makes more sense just to buy the company that already has the technology and racing heritage you were looking for.
Funny to see the GP12 with AMG sponsorship even though they have been bought by - or are in the process of being bought by - Volkswagen Group.
Old 11 May 2012, 03:29 (Ref:3072509)   #35
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is one name, associated historically with Grand Prix racing, owned by the VAG and most recently viewed with the desirability of opulence, capability and excess to an extent that is associated with modern F1.

Bugatti.
Old 11 May 2012, 08:14 (Ref:3072568)   #36
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Does this decision rule out Audi, Porsche & Co? Will Skoda have a go?

I can see it all now. 'Congratulations to Carlos Sainz Jr for winning the Moscow GP 2019 in a Skoda WTF06'. Mmmm.
Why not? It is an growing brand with a strong product line which may well appeal to the merging markets (even though they have really emerged!)

However I'm not sure it fits the F1 profile, they've got brands in the group that are better fits, but there would be little doubt that Skoda would reach a massive audience by doing F1.

Then again if Renault could do F1 and do well why couldn't Skoda!
Old 11 May 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3072701)   #37
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction Junction View Post
There is one name, associated historically with Grand Prix racing, owned by the VAG and most recently viewed with the desirability of opulence, capability and excess to an extent that is associated with modern F1.

Bugatti.
I think Bugatti competed in about 5 seasons of GP racing since 1950. Hardly enough for Bernie to think that they are deserving of the same amount of money that Ferrari receives for its participation in every GP since 1950.
Old 11 May 2012, 15:23 (Ref:3072721)   #38
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

Yes, why not ?
Old 11 May 2012, 15:50 (Ref:3072733)   #39
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
I think Bugatti competed in about 5 seasons of GP racing since 1950. Hardly enough for Bernie to think that they are deserving of the same amount of money that Ferrari receives for its participation in every GP since 1950.
Correction: Bugatti only built a car for the 1955 2.5 litre formula and it wasn't much of a success. So Bernie isn't going to lose any sleep over payments made to Bugatti on historical grounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Yes, why not ?
Does a company like VW have more to lose than it can gain by being in F1?

Perhaps they are just waiting to see what other engine manufacturers are doing before deciding to plunge into the murky waters of this shark infested sport?
Old 11 May 2012, 17:43 (Ref:3072762)   #40
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
Funny to see the GP12 with AMG sponsorship even though they have been bought by - or are in the process of being bought by - Volkswagen Group.
Really? The AMG on the Mercedes are Mercedes performance arm. Are you sure it's not another AMG or similar VAG are interested in?
Old 11 May 2012, 18:27 (Ref:3072768)   #41
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Audi have definitely bought Ducati, for $708 million, I think it was. You could easily do F1 on that budget, but then you would be starting with a large fortune to end up with a smaller one. Buying Ducati would at least enable you to make a profit.

"Ducati has won 13 rider's Superbike World Championships since 1988, and the deal means Audi's rivalry with BMW will now include superbikes."

"Ducati does not enhance Audi's business model in any way, it is just a trophy in the wall cabinet."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17763547

Edit: Sorry for edits.

Last edited by Marbot; 11 May 2012 at 18:39.
Old 11 May 2012, 20:56 (Ref:3072820)   #42
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
Really? The AMG on the Mercedes are Mercedes performance arm. Are you sure it's not another AMG or similar VAG are interested in?
I am certain it is the AMG that we all know and love from Mercedes. I followed the story of the sponsorship starting last season reading Asphalt and Rubber, and the logo is the same.
Old 11 May 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3072822)   #43
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
This needs another correction other than the Bugatti one.
Old 11 May 2012, 23:27 (Ref:3072857)   #44
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
This needs another correction other than the Bugatti one.
Err, yes. My bad. Every GP season, not every race.

They obviously never turned up for the first GP, but lots of other Italian cars did. Alfa Romeo's finished first, second and third, a couple of laps ahead of any other cars. I think that they were also using Pirelli tyres?

http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/rr001.html
Old 11 May 2012, 23:44 (Ref:3072862)   #45
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:

I think that they were also using Pirelli tyres?

Obviously
Old 12 May 2012, 02:11 (Ref:3072892)   #46
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Why not? It is an growing brand with a strong product line which may well appeal to the merging markets (even though they have really emerged!)

However I'm not sure it fits the F1 profile, they've got brands in the group that are better fits, but there would be little doubt that Skoda would reach a massive audience by doing F1.

You'd have to have a very courageous marketing team with alot of executive support to give the go-ahead to a Skoda F1 project. It'd be like having an F1 Volvo Team or something.
Old 12 May 2012, 13:15 (Ref:3073036)   #47
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Or Renault!
Old 12 May 2012, 17:29 (Ref:3073114)   #48
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
You'd have to have a very courageous marketing team with alot of executive support to give the go-ahead to a Skoda F1 project. It'd be like having an F1 Volvo Team or something.
I think that applies to any manufacturer/brand at the moment as far as F1 is concerned.
Old 12 May 2012, 18:05 (Ref:3073130)   #49
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Skoda's brand value is probably about as repaired as it's going to get after having its reputation permanently mauled from 40 years of Soviet bloc management. An F1 campaign might pay off but it'd be an expensve gamble for a company that's just one string on VW's bow.

Renault is a national company in it's own right that entered F1 when the sport was comparatively cheap, the rules were loose and the media was usually polite. If this was the 70's and the Czechs where on the right side of the Iron Curtain yeah it'd make clearer sense for them to have a go but today is a far more demanding and complex world.