Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 May 2012, 07:02 (Ref:3074141)   #26
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My proposal would be to award points for leading the championship table.
Old 14 May 2012, 07:53 (Ref:3074158)   #27
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Indianapolis 500.
I'll keep my views on Indycars silent I think
Old 14 May 2012, 07:58 (Ref:3074162)   #28
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Ok being serious. It appears to me that we are, as seems to happen more and more these days, taking the effect and making it the cause. In fact the cause is the tyre rules creating the effect of non qualification. Ergo people wanted the excitement of unpredictability thus they must accept the resultant lack of running in qualifying.

For me all that has happened is the reality of racing has been taken away and we now have a totally false situation. Makes for great TV so let's not complain. If I want to watch racing I go to an HSCC or any other club event. The current F1 is at least entertaining.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
I don't really see how it is any more false than drivers being uncompetitive because their tyre supplier has done a bad job, or Ferrari have exclusivity on the best tyres etc. People weren't moaning about the racing being false when one driver was dominating last season. It seems that a lot of people are uncomfortable with the fact that in F1, if you have a competitive car you will get good results. And if THAT is not the case, then it makes even less sense to me. The goal of F1 has always been to win a race in a car designed around a set of regulations. We have that now, but rather than looking after the engine the drivers now need to look after the tyres.

At least the tyre situation allows the drivers to race. Rather than hearing afterwards, if we haven't all fallen asleep, that "it was impossible to overtake".

Does anyone genuinely prefer the drivers racing at 100% on durable tyres, with no overtaking to what we have now? If so, why?
Old 14 May 2012, 08:17 (Ref:3074175)   #29
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Well yes, but the main people who suffer are those who pay through the nose to be trackside only to see the likes of Vettel do nothing.

If I ever go to a GP again I'll just be going on the Sunday as it is now.
I hadn't given this much thought, until I realised i've been looking at Monaco GP tickets and just wanted ones for Saturday, all subliminally.

It only clicked when I read this!

Qualy isn't as important anymore, but the races are so much more interesting...

I know what i'd rather have.

Selby
Old 14 May 2012, 09:37 (Ref:3074240)   #30
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...The-Spanish-GP

So Sky have jumped on the bangwagon of 'too much of a good thing' and how the sport 'needs back to back winners'.

Why?

Just because 'that's what we're used to, so that's the way it should be!'.

No.

The tyres are widening the opportunity for more teams. To that I say fantastic, more teams in with a shout of winning if they're SMART, get their strategy RIGHT, and their driver drives a fantastic race.

Wins are NOT random - they are earnt through hard work of the team and the driver, which, is what competition is all about, surely?! Just because the F1 teams got caught off-guard (I mean severely off-guard) for the first time in its duration, it doesn't mean it's all suddenly 'wrong'.

It's just as 'wrong' as when refuelling was bought in, it's just as 'wrong' as the safety car, as 'wrong' as the first wing bolted to a car.

ALL of these teams and drivers have the same tyre. That's more fair than 10 years ago when Jordan 'couldn't even look' at Ferrari's Bridgestones, and they were both on Bridgestones!

So please, spare me this neverending moan of F1 not being what people want it to be, because frankly some will never be happy.

What's wrong with F1 producing GOOD RACES at ANY track?! That's never happened! We should be proud and happy! All of our bellyaching as finally come to a halt, and yet people will find something else to bellyache about.

Shame on Sky for fuelling that, really. And essentially, it's a 'poor business move' if you think about it.

Selby
Old 14 May 2012, 11:27 (Ref:3074287)   #31
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Good rant there, Dan.

F1 is just so 'wrong' at the moment. In days gone by, particularly when watching the Spanish GP, I usually found time to get up out of my chair and make a 'cuppa' at least three or four times and often managed to paint at least a couple of fence panels, knowing that no one was likely to get by Trulli for quite some time and that either a red or a silver car wasn't likely to do much in the way of overtaking until the phenomenon known as 'passing in the pits' came into play.

So I shall be writing a very strongly worded letter to the FIA, demanding that tea breaks and fence painting be brought back into current format of F1, ASAP!
Old 14 May 2012, 12:01 (Ref:3074302)   #32
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Thanks, Marbot.

Don't usually rant like that on here, but i've seen so much ridiculous negativity towards F1 finally becoming worth watching, God forbid.

We moaned, for SO, SO long about the lack of passing. But now we get passing, oh no, it's the wrong type of passing because it's not Ferrari/McLaren drivers doing it over and over! Cos that always happened in 'the past', didn't it?

I'll stop before I go again...

Selby
Old 14 May 2012, 12:03 (Ref:3074307)   #33
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
No points for qualifying thank you. However, something needs to be done to get people running in Q3 imnstead of just sitting in their garage.

Why not amend the rules and give the top 10 an extra nice shiney new set of tyres (compound of their choice) that they can only use in Q3?
Old 14 May 2012, 12:07 (Ref:3074308)   #34
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I suppose that then damages the rule on 'start the race with your fastest lap's tyre compound'.

Do we still need that rule, though?

Selby
Old 14 May 2012, 12:17 (Ref:3074317)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh it is worth watching but don't disillusion yourself, it is not anything like a sport where the best wins, it is more a case of the lowest common denominator providing entertainment.
Old 14 May 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3074322)   #36
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Pirelli did suggest qualifying tyres for this season (I imagine for those who got through to Q3), but for some reason the teams didn't take them up on the offer.

You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
Old 14 May 2012, 12:43 (Ref:3074327)   #37
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Oh it is worth watching but don't disillusion yourself, it is not anything like a sport where the best wins, it is more a case of the lowest common denominator providing entertainment.
But perhaps it's more just the criteria for 'being the best' has changed?

Albeit suddenly, and perhaps this is why we have a bit of a revolt against the tyres by some.

I do understand, but what i'm trying to say is perhaps it's just going to take some adjusting mentally for some fans. Please don't take that patronisingly. Perhaps it's where i've only been a fan since 1997 that I can embrace this new F1 a little more.

In my opinion, the criteria for being the best has changed. It's still competition, and it's still the same for all. It's just another regulation, just a very extreme one.

Selby
Old 14 May 2012, 14:13 (Ref:3074373)   #38
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
[...]
Old 14 May 2012, 14:21 (Ref:3074376)   #39
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Thanks for that input?

Selby
Old 14 May 2012, 14:31 (Ref:3074381)   #40
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Thanks for that input?

Selby
I had submitted something in the wrong thread, but I am not allowed to delete my own reply. The only I could was to edit it.
Old 14 May 2012, 14:36 (Ref:3074384)   #41
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They've already aggressively altered the points to include the top ten so why not go the whole hog and give out points for fasted lap, most laps lead, pole position?

If I was F1 decision-maker, I'd bring back the 9->1 for the top six positions maybe only award first constructor home for each constructor in the constructors cup so the backmarker teams would stand a chance at not coming home pointless at the end of the season. Giving points away like confetti, is not something I support beyond that. Less said about 'medals' the better.
Old 14 May 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3074410)   #42
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
your should rant more often because there is a lot of good stuff there.

Quote:

So Sky have jumped on the bangwagon of 'too much of a good thing' and how the sport 'needs back to back winners'.

Why?
to paraphrase gladiator, "[Why] are you not entertained?"

this is the path that entertainment takes. non stop excitement and what was exciting yesterday is boring today. as SKY increase their broadcasting of F1 worldwide they will no doubt push for more entertainment in every aspect of their coverage. and if they dont find it on track they will manufacture it.

this is just one of the reasons you dont place entertainment value above competitive value. today it seems like a small change but a year from now, ten years from now how far do you think they will have pushed the entertainment envelope?

will it still be sport or more akin to professional wrestling?

Quote:
Wins are NOT random - they are earnt through hard work of the team and the driver, which, is what competition is all about, surely?! Just because the F1 teams got caught off-guard (I mean severely off-guard) for the first time in its duration, it doesn't mean it's all suddenly 'wrong'.
in fairness i do agree with this. the teams will find a way to get the most out of the rules on the table and act competitively to take advantage of it.

in my mind when i watched quali was that its a farce but then in Q2 the Lotus cars went balls to the walls and opted for an all or nothing approach of a 1 lap quali run. honestly i found it intriguing and dramatic and yes adhering to a concept of sporting virtue that i hold highly. namely the pursuit of glory.

by next race other teams will have seen this tactic work and will try it themselves. some will naturally get caught out because by waiting too long they will encounter traffic and not get through to the next round. by the next race they will need to find a new strategy.

F1 moves so quickly that the complaints of one weekend become something very different by the next race. in that light i very much see your point here.

Quote:
I do understand, but what i'm trying to say is perhaps it's just going to take some adjusting mentally for some fans. Please don't take that patronisingly. Perhaps it's where i've only been a fan since 1997 that I can embrace this new F1 a little more.
true that. sometimes you just have to give a situation more time and allow for people to adjust.

Quote:
But perhaps it's more just the criteria for 'being the best' has changed?
being the best is still being the best. it should be an absolute. personally i would just like to see that qualifying tire allotments dont carry over to the race.

i would prefer to see that then points for quali but at the same time i would rather see points being awarded to the best (in quali) rather then giving an advantage to someone who is not the best in the form of an extra set of tires.

also in fairness to the excitement we are witnessing this year, none of it is coming in the form of epic battles between 1st and 2nd. that battle is still being fought in the pits and through tire changes.

to me the biggest change is that the size of the midfield has increased. the midfield has always been where the action is and now its it just seems to be more exciting because more cars are part of that group.

it seems closer because the tires have become the great equalizer but at the end of that day for me its just parity over excellence. although it has to be said that this approach has worked very well for the NFL.

apparently i also like to rant!
Old 14 May 2012, 16:21 (Ref:3074436)   #43
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
My proposal would be to award points for leading the championship table.
Hoe about awarding points for leading the leaders points awards table? :P
Old 15 May 2012, 14:41 (Ref:3074833)   #44
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Personally, I would leave things just as they are.
Old 15 May 2012, 15:31 (Ref:3074861)   #45
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Personally, I would leave things just as they are.
They probably will be left just as they are.
Old 15 May 2012, 15:40 (Ref:3074867)   #46
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Why?

Just because 'that's what we're used to, so that's the way it should be!'.

No.

The tyres are widening the opportunity for more teams. To that I say fantastic, more teams in with a shout of winning if they're SMART, get their strategy RIGHT, and their driver drives a fantastic race.

It's just as 'wrong' as when refuelling was bought in, it's just as 'wrong' as the safety car, as 'wrong' as the first wing bolted to a car.

ALL of these teams and drivers have the same tyre. That's more fair than 10 years ago when Jordan 'couldn't even look' at Ferrari's Bridgestones, and they were both on Bridgestones!

So please, spare me this neverending moan of F1 not being what people want it to be, because frankly some will never be happy.

What's wrong with F1 producing GOOD RACES at ANY track?! That's never happened! We should be proud and happy! All of our bellyaching as finally come to a halt, and yet people will find something else to bellyache about.

Shame on Sky for fuelling that, really. And essentially, it's a 'poor business move' if you think about it.

Selby
We really have to stop agreeing like this Dan.
Old 16 May 2012, 00:09 (Ref:3075082)   #47
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As Promised if anyone is interested

The Current Drivers Championship after Spain.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Real World Spain.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	37053

Now I've added Bonus points from the fantasy League structure of...

Reach Q2 1 point
Reach Q3 2 Points
Pole 5 Points
Lead a Lap 1 point
Lead Most Laps 3 Points
Fastest Lap 3 points

Grid penalites have been applied (don't have the time to undo them for this)

Real World and Fantasy Bonus

Name:	Real World and Bonus Spain.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	37054

And here is the full table showing where all the points have come from.

Name:	Real World and Bonus Spain Full Table.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	37055

I think it shows what difference bonus points can make ... do we really want them?

* Note the Full Fantasy league driver points also includes bonus/penalty points judged from grid to finishing position*
Old 16 May 2012, 14:56 (Ref:3075335)   #48
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lets see; currently it's wings and slicks, push to pass passing devices, turbo's (abiet 2014) and now they're thinking points for leading the race and grabbing pole. Now using my Star Trek connections, I've seen the F1 logo from the future