Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 13 Aug 2000, 15:45 (Ref:30168)   #51
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear. You are a strange little girl, aren't you?
Old 13 Aug 2000, 15:52 (Ref:30171)   #52
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Strange???

Who, moi???
Old 14 Aug 2000, 22:58 (Ref:30560)   #53
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just send over Gerhard Berger.
Old 16 Aug 2000, 02:33 (Ref:30863)   #54
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well ever since I was a little tyke I've wanted one of these:

A Volvo 1800S

This could be fun:

A lovely 544

But this is the cat's pajamas;

A DELAHAYE 135 M CONVERTIBLE BY GUILLORÉE

Old 17 Aug 2000, 11:16 (Ref:31054)   #55
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Finally a Volvo Two even
Old 17 Aug 2000, 14:05 (Ref:31081)   #56
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, I'll weigh in now wit a TRUE "dream" car -

1000+ HP
Seats 4 easily
100+ MPG
Rides like a Caddy, handles like an F1 car
Looks like a Ferrari P4
Washes & vacumes itself
Never needs repair
Costs $1 to insure

Well, you DID say DREAM car !!!!
Old 17 Aug 2000, 22:30 (Ref:31181)   #57
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A real dream car is one that comes with a Brazilian or European chauffeur so I never have to look for a parking place or try to read road signs...just tie a scarf over my hair and put on my shades and enjoy the flight!

He couldn't be a big guy either because the Dino is very small.
Old 18 Aug 2000, 00:01 (Ref:31197)   #58
Ronj Schryer
Rookie

Ronj Schryer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All of you are revealing your ages--young enough to dream (great) but not old enough to know what to dream about.
I admit that picking a dream car would be great if not impossible because i could not shorten the list to fit this screen.
When I dream about cars and the great and not so great ones I have owned or driven my thoughts come back to the following:

Had the pleasure one time of driving a letter series Chrysler (C i think) absolute-no holds barred-testosterone machine. Nothing like it since to scare the **** out of me.

had one particular Datsun 510 (out of about 30 or so that I have owned)that stands out above all others.I raced it for a couple of years as a production sedan, then converted it to a fully caged/reinforced/all out Rally car. Spent a few years beating the poor thing to death (including P.O.R. twice) rolling it on at least 7 different occasions and still could not kill it. Finally one day a guy came into the shop and offered me more money for it than it sold for new- I knew about 30 seconds after he pulled away that I did the wrong thing---never saw the car again (sniff-sniff)

Still own--sitting out back,quietly rusting away in dignified retirement--one car that you will all laugh at and shake your heads knowing old Ron has finally lost it. But let me explain---It had a sturdy trailer hitch and all my tools and spares could be crammed inside. I would hook the trailer with the race-later rally -then other race cars to the old beast,cruise the Trans-Canada hwy in the passing lane with the air conditioning on full listening to CBC ,sitting in a seat that actually fit my size 9 ass and get wherever i wanted -no question. There is something to be said for success. 1976 AMC Pacer-the only only one i have ever seen with manual steering and manual transmission.

If dreams are the criteria though i would surely like to have a Porche 550 with Carrera engine(with roller crank). Worked on one once when I was an apprentice in a Porche/VW shop. Spent a week on a training course on the Carrera engine--fell in love

ahh well dreams sigh RON

ne I have ever seen with manual steering and manual transmission.
Old 18 Aug 2000, 17:56 (Ref:31272)   #59
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if I can't have a ferrari it's gonna be a marcos
Anyone.

This 1969 GT would be nice. And if I work hard and don't eat for 5 years I might even afford it

Or if I get really lucky I might one day touch one of these. A 600 LM, OH MY GOD I'M GONNA WET MYSELF!

Old 18 Aug 2000, 21:05 (Ref:31306)   #60
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Cobra ?? Fast - No Doubt about
Looks - Well, fair
Appeal - Good
Engine Sound - V8 Thump
Merc ?? Fast - Limited to 140 No Good
Looks - Good
Appeal - Fair
Engine Sound - Sorry, could not hear it
Bentley Fast - Top,yes. Acceleration maybe
Looks - No Doubt about
Appeal - Yes but at a vast cost, and the girls
say no to the oil, grease and wind (the car also)
Engine Sound - Thump........Thump.........Thump
Ferrari Not Allowed
McC Not Allowed
Lambogini Muira
Fast - Oh Yes Yes Yes....YES
Looks - Oh Please, more more more.. MORE
Appeal - As J Clarkson said, PING.. snaps knicker elastic at 500 paces
Engine Sound - I.. Want...to..have...sex...NOW
tiddle pom..
I.. Want...to..have...sex...NOW
tiddle pom..

So there we have it the 1960's Lambo, Star of the Italian Job wins, hands down, errrrr no Britany....when I said hands down I meant, Ohhh never mind if you must, again........

Simon

Old 19 Aug 2000, 02:07 (Ref:31365)   #61
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Marcus has picked very well, I like Crash Test's 1st choice too. Everybody who's ever owned a Datsun 510 will nod in agreement with Ron's post. Great litle car that just keeps going and going!!! As a child my dream car was always a Lamborghini Countach, now I want a VT Commodore V8 Supercar and a BMW 320i Super Tourer.
Old 27 Oct 2000, 16:50 (Ref:45204)   #62
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

We have talked about the car we drive the first one we had, now, which is the car you want, that you always see on your dreams, the one you want to have on your garage. As for me, I´ve always wanted to have a Mercedes 300SL, I just love it, it´s so beautiful, it has it all, class, power, oh yes I would love to have it, going through the highway, shifting, ah...., but I also like the moderns automobiles, specially the SLK 230 kompressor, it is not the best car nowdays, but I just love it. So what car is your dream one?.

Last edited by John Turner; 4 Mar 2006 at 10:51. Reason: Merged with earlier thread of similar tile and aims!
Old 27 Oct 2000, 17:11 (Ref:45206)   #63
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anything that is red with the prancing horse on it.
Old 27 Oct 2000, 23:02 (Ref:45307)   #64
Liz
Veteran

Ferrari Dino. Blue. And no dodgy bodywork or "restoration' by aliens with blowtorches.
Old 27 Oct 2000, 23:17 (Ref:45313)   #65
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I want Professer Pat Pending's 'Convertacar'

Actually, I quite fancy the new Spyker, as seen at the motor show last week- mmm, big and shiney and roofless -mmmm.....
Old 28 Oct 2000, 01:54 (Ref:45321)   #66
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well....I would say that my #1 dream car would be the...Ferrari 360 Modena. I know you guys must think "But the 550 maranello is way better" but there's just something about that car that....maybe it's the F1 shifting.

My #2 would be the BMW M5. I just love it. It looks just like any regular car with big wheels.....but when the light goes red everybody will learn that beneath the hood there are 400Hp.

On a more "realistic" view....perhaps the Peugeot 306Xsi, Seat Ibiza Cupra 2 or a first generation BMW M3.

BTW...all of the above cars must be black.
Old 28 Oct 2000, 06:08 (Ref:45333)   #67
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My dream car to own would probably be a BMW M3. Might as well be an E46, but I'd be happy with the older one.
Old 28 Oct 2000, 08:40 (Ref:45342)   #68
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!

i want a 1988-1990 bmw m325i. french registered, black, black interior, 2 doors (ok, maybe 4).

yes, that's right, how did you know my mum wrote that one off? i want our old car back.

or maybe one of those ferrari barchetta thingys they had at the london motor show this week, and that are all sold out. they look hot.

or a black porsche boxster for running around town in....
Old 28 Oct 2000, 08:44 (Ref:45343)   #69
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Elephino,
Good choice with the M3, my tastes are pedestrian compared to some of the above, so for the price of one new Ferrari I would have:

The M3 (three years old - second hand)
A Honda S2000 (not sure I'd fit though)

A BMW 1200RS for the longer trips and a Aprilia RSVR 1000 for the shorter ones.

I could still have $150,000 left for entertainment expenses.
Old 28 Oct 2000, 18:05 (Ref:45428)   #70
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche 911 turbo .....
Old 29 Oct 2000, 11:19 (Ref:45537)   #71
jarama
Racer

jarama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anything coming from Zuffenhausen, from the older 356s to the newest Boxsters, and above all any of the 911s.

Old 30 Oct 2000, 00:16 (Ref:45786)   #72
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Carrie, Craig and Danielsun had any doubts as to the intensity of my affliction, then the Motor Show will surely have put them to rest.

Bluebottle already knows that I am beyond help.

To my delight, the organisers of the classic cars section of the show chose to display one of the truly great cars. A car I have literally dreamed of driving, a car I am determined to own, or at least one very like it.

A 1929 4.5 litre, open touring Bentley. This one was in green. Perhaps out of preference mine would be black, with red leather upholstery.

The vintage Bentley is the king of the road. Majestic. Regal. Elegant. Refined. Enduring. Fast. Very, very fast - for a two-ton car with 70-year old brakes.

The only reason that I was coaxed away from the Bentley to see the rest of the show, was the knowledge that this is the only year that the year 2001 models were on display. In seventy years time, they will all be iron oxide. In seventy years time, that Bentley will still be running, still holding her own against any piece of modern tin that the industry chooses to pit against her.

There may be faster cars. There may be more comfortable ones. But none of them have the winged "B" piercing the slipstream. I will not be truly happy until there is a Bentley in my stable.
Old 30 Oct 2000, 13:31 (Ref:45868)   #73
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A Renault R5 turbo, Bizarre and just a little bit anti-social.

I always had a fondness for the Volvo P1800 coupe from the sixties, elegant and sturdy, its the Isabella Roselini of cars: arty and stylish Italian father, elegant and serious Swedish mother.
Old 30 Oct 2000, 14:35 (Ref:45881)   #74
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Everyone wants a Ferrari, me included. Any Ferrari, just so long as it's red or black - the yellow ones are awful to look at.

However, I'd really really really, in a come-on-parents-it's-nearly-Christmas kind of way, like an original AC Cobra. None of this replica rubbish. Yes I know the replicas are faster than the originals, but speed isn't everything.

Please Please Please Please Please. I've been really good this year (most of the time )
Old 30 Oct 2000, 14:48 (Ref:45885)   #75
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course my dream car is the Ferrari 250 GTO.

Jess G. Pourret wrote the following in the book "Ferrari 250 GTO":

Quote:
A puncture in a rear tire is a real nuisance, as the car can only carry a front wheel as a spare. The turning circle is hopeless. The exhaust may destroy your hearing and also itself if you're not careful, as it hangs very low. When it's raining hard you will wish you had good old drum brakes. The alloy bodywork is so thin that high flying pigeons should be avoided. Shoes must be chosen carefully if you want to use one pedal at a time, and physically feel what's going on under your feet.
But I don't care, just look at it, it's the most beautifull thing on earth.