Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Sep 2012, 13:21 (Ref:3143153)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Stepped-noses and double DRS banned for 2013

Stepped-noses have been banned (sort of) and double DRS has also been
banned for 2013.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/184473/...rs_banned.html

2013 Technical Regulations:

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/7EE7D5392A94A532C1257A850051A2C9/$FILE/2013%20TECHNICAL%20REGULATIONS.pdf

2013 Sporting Regulations:

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/25823CA4432F6548C1257A85005177ED/$FILE/2013%20SPORTING%20REGULATIONS.pdf
Old 28 Sep 2012, 13:42 (Ref:3143167)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great news, those noses are just plain ugly...
Old 28 Sep 2012, 13:49 (Ref:3143172)   #3
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I want to know what this "special panel to hide the stepped nose" will look like.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3143188)   #4
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan_PJN View Post
I want to know what this "special panel to hide the stepped nose" will look like.
Hopefully seemless and strake/tabless!
Old 28 Sep 2012, 14:38 (Ref:3143214)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or maybe another ugly device...
Old 28 Sep 2012, 14:57 (Ref:3143229)   #6
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Never understood the problem with stepped noses.

It's just a car designed to go fast round a circuit. It doesn't need to look good.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 15:00 (Ref:3143234)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Never understood the problem with stepped noses.

It's just a car designed to go fast round a circuit. It doesn't need to look good.
It doesn't but it's much better if it does !

Anyway, it didn't stop them to make it ugly.
Old 29 Sep 2012, 00:42 (Ref:3143487)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Also for 2013. Confirmed calendar and a new Concorde agreement to be completed by the end of October.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102925
Old 29 Sep 2012, 11:13 (Ref:3143656)   #9
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding the double drag reduction system I wonder why any further rule thickering was necessary. Mercedes-Benz has proven the system not to be very successful.
Old 29 Sep 2012, 13:11 (Ref:3143705)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So they'll still have stepped noses but they'll just be hidden; that's one way of doing it.
Old 29 Sep 2012, 18:17 (Ref:3143845)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Regarding the double drag reduction system I wonder why any further rule thickering was necessary. Mercedes-Benz has proven the system not to be very successful.
That may be just a drawback with the Mercedes way of doing things. There's more than one way to skin a Cat.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 07:07 (Ref:3144015)   #12
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
That may be just a drawback with the Mercedes way of doing things. There's more than one way to skin a Cat.
Quite true, even the possibility that it could be made to work means money would be wasted by the teams proving it couldn't!

Also the wheels were in motion on this one before anyone new for sure this year's Merc wasn't going to develop into a great car because of this "advantage" so it probably made sense to finish the job and get it in the regs.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 12:56 (Ref:3144124)   #13
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan_PJN View Post
I would hope Alain Prost is not involved in any panel involving noses...
Old 30 Sep 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3144216)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Why couldn't they have written the nose rules to mandate a continuous angle down to a specific point? A cover to hide the step? Sounds like a solution a 5 year old would come up with.

Then again, I have to remind myself that this is the governing body that thought keep raising the front wing was a great idea, and grooved tyres and narrow cars.

Last edited by Sodemo; 30 Sep 2012 at 17:03.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3144229)   #15
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The McLaren doesn't have a stepped nose, so they'll save themselves some money not having to make any cosmetic changes.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 01:10 (Ref:3144371)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Why couldn't they have written the nose rules to mandate a continuous angle down to a specific point?
If you mandate that rule, then all of the teams that don't have a McLaren nose, have to spend a huge amount of money on designing a completely new chassis. All very well, if you want to give McLaren a head start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Then again, I have to remind myself that this is the governing body that thought keep raising the front wing was a great idea, and grooved tyres and narrow cars.
Actually, that was the response of the FIA due to a lack of other ideas to slow the cars down from the teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The McLaren doesn't have a stepped nose, so they'll save themselves some money not having to make any cosmetic changes.
Indeed. Which goes back to my first point and the reason that this cover is all that the FIA could come up with regard to changing the rules and forcing teams to spend a fortune on making and developing a chassis specifically designed for a lower nose.

Also bear in mind that these 'covers' are completely optional and won't be used unless they provide an aerodynamic advantage. So stepped noses are likely to remain in vogue for at least another year. The 2014 regs have more definitive regulations for mandating lower noses, although it remains to be seen as to what engines will push them through the air.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 13:07 (Ref:3144619)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Also bear in mind that these 'covers' are completely optional and won't be used unless they provide an aerodynamic advantage. So stepped noses are likely to remain in vogue for at least another year. The 2014 regs have more definitive regulations for mandating lower noses, although it remains to be seen as to what engines will push them through the air.
Oh, that's a funny rule after all...
Old 1 Oct 2012, 17:08 (Ref:3144725)   #18
Eurosnob
Rookie

Eurosnob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know I'm old. I can remember when F1 was all about new ideas and technologies.

How long until they ban engines & tyres - or red paint, I've heard that makes them go faster.

You kids, off my lawn. Now.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3144741)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurosnob View Post
I know I'm old. I can remember when F1 was all about new ideas and technologies.
But they were still very noisy and some of the cars look liked they had been styled and designed by five year olds.

Oi! Get yer filthy hands of my desert!
Old 1 Oct 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3144788)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Now ban red paint it's not such a bad idea...
Old 2 Oct 2012, 04:03 (Ref:3144992)   #21
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurosnob View Post

How long until they ban engines & tyres - or red paint, I've heard that makes them go faster.

You kids, off my lawn. Now.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 06:51 (Ref:3145566)   #22
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Sodemo;3144216]Why couldn't they have written the nose rules to mandate a continuous angle down to a specific point? A cover to hide the step? Sounds like a solution a 5 year old would come up with.

I'm still naive enough to believe that the numerous hideous results really stem from lack of imagination in 'wrapping' the end result. To get from the high point to the sharp end can't be that difficult to achieve aesthetically?
Old 3 Oct 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3145672)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd1 View Post

I'm still naive enough to believe that the numerous hideous results really stem from lack of imagination in 'wrapping' the end result. To get from the high point to the sharp end can't be that difficult to achieve aesthetically?
What is aerodynamically correct isn't always aesthetically correct. As we have seen with such things as X-wings, etc.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 12:33 (Ref:3145701)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
What is aerodynamically correct isn't always aesthetically correct. As we have seen with such things as X-wings, etc.
Almost a law in F1...
Old 3 Oct 2012, 12:42 (Ref:3145708)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Almost a law in F1...
Indeed. The thing with F1 cars is that they are not trying to just be aerodynamically efficient at high speeds, unlike the many cars that attempt to break the land speed record. They also have to be aerodynamically efficient at lower speeds i.e. they must also be able to go around corners quickly.