Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jun 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3553123)   #1226
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
The regulations actually differentiate a technical problem from a rule infringement, as a broken part of the power unit does not automatically result in a penalty. The regulations have split the power unit in a number of specified components and all are limited to four units per driver per season.
However, a technical problem being a rule infringement at the same time, is not something new. The regulations do not tolerate a car to be underweight due to a leakage either.

Under the current regulations the power units have to meet a number of standards. These standards include the use of certain consumables. As using an excessive amount of fuel will automatically and regardless of its cause result in a disqualification, using an excessive number of specified power units parts will only result in grid penalty and potentially in an additional time penalty. Hence, failing to comply with certain aspects of the regulations is penalized unequally.

You complained about the current regulations not differentiating a technical issue from a rule infringement. I cannot see any different in that respect between the current regulations and your proposal.
My proposal isn't meant to differentiate between a technical issue and a rule infringement, it's an alternative to grid penalties. I obviously didn't make that clear.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 23:21 (Ref:3553185)   #1227
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Thanks for sharing. The idea does have merit. I would just add that a couple of others could possibly sit alongside to avoid any crazy ideas rolling through.

I have a huge amount of respect for Gary Anderson, however his recent proposals seem absolutely bazaar for someone from a chief design engineer position. Reverse qualifying positions and all that rubbish is the last thing true motorsport enthusiasts want to see.

The just need to tweak the basics and scrap some of the crap around the sides, retain the proper tracks and have realistic ticket prices that people can afford, with coverage going out free to air, downloadable or on an ad free pay TV channel world wide.

F1 is not as broken as some people on here make out when you look at the world at the moment (most sports are struggling from what I can see), they just need to go back to basics to move forward.
I think you should stick with an individual. He is free to consult, and if he
gets it wrong it is his responsibility and he can be dumped.
Look at how well the F1 Strategy Group works ... not at all.

Most of NASCAR's success was sue to Bill France and his technical guru, BJ will remember his name, setting the rules and enforcing them, sometimes somewhat murkily, but the manufacturers did not get to dictate!
Old 2 Jul 2015, 23:36 (Ref:3555508)   #1228
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The review on penalties is a step in the right direction, though I'm not too sure about the rest of the suggestions.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119791
Old 3 Jul 2015, 04:10 (Ref:3555533)   #1229
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Fiddling while Rome burns!
Old 3 Jul 2015, 10:25 (Ref:3555575)   #1230
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Strategy Group, certainly in it's current guise, is not fit for purpose and I would go so far as to say that it is bringing F1 into disrepute.

At the meetings of this group earlier this year, they were proposing that customer cars should be considered and that refuelling should be re-introduced.

However, this week's meeting has kicked both of these ideas out. Considering that both of these proposals were unpopular, to say the least, amongst at least 50% of the entrants, one really has to wonder why they felt that they needed to waste so much time and energy putting them forward in the first place.

It really is time that a truly independent voice was put in charge of promoting rule changes in F1. It is becoming an embarrassment having the current group running the show!
Old 3 Jul 2015, 16:02 (Ref:3555628)   #1231
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Fiddling while Rome burns!
Come on its not that bad is it now...
Old 3 Jul 2015, 23:45 (Ref:3555709)   #1232
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Come on its not that bad is it now...
Never say never, I guess.

The F1 Strategy Group finally got something right !!!!???

Manual Clutches!

"F1 Strategy Group meeting that took place on Wednesday and which were announced yesterday, particularly the restriction on driver aids, things like the manual clutch, from the Belgian Grand Prix onwards."

http://www.pitpass.com/54219/British...ess-Conference

Old 4 Jul 2015, 08:55 (Ref:3555730)   #1233
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Guess it show that if they keep trying they'll eventually get something right
Old 4 Jul 2015, 20:38 (Ref:3555814)   #1234
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
So the fake launch control ive been bleating on about is finally going to get banned? Great.

We might even get wheel spin at the starts again.
Old 5 Jul 2015, 00:40 (Ref:3555837)   #1235
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and a lot of gearbox related retirements; they have more buttons than horsepower, so I can't see that ending well.
Old 5 Jul 2015, 14:52 (Ref:3555936)   #1236
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Manual Clutches!
Yes and no. As best as I can tell this is moving from a two to one stage clutch for starts (starting from a stop such as race starts, pit exit, after spins, etc.). Currently the first stage being the automated release up to and including the bite point. The second stage being the hand clutch release that handles the final amount of slippage via the driver. With all other up and down shifts being clutchless (from a drivers perspective).

In the future there would be no procedure to find and set the bite point. Drivers would have to find the bite point on their own each time they engage the clutch. It would still be a hand clutch (paddle and rheostat), still software controlled (clutch by wire) and still no driver action for up and down shifts other than gear selection. I can remember if launch engine mappings are allowed today (I don't think so). If so, I would expect that and any type of throttle (RPM) hold to be gone as well.

It will make starts more interesting. Think of Webber and his typical horrible starts.

Richard
Old 9 Jul 2015, 15:05 (Ref:3557005)   #1237
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
a rather simple and 'straight away' solution from Juan Pablo...get rid of tire temperature sensors.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/0...straight-away/

would put more onus on the drivers to feel their own way around a track and could radically shake up the grid as the balance shifts back to drivers skill.
Old 9 Jul 2015, 15:56 (Ref:3557017)   #1238
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I apologise if I sound like a broken record, but I have advocated for years that F1 should dump all the electronic gizmos on the cars, and so that the drivers can return to the art of driving and controlling the cars by themselves. By getting rid of all the electronic bits and pieces on the car that assist the drivers starting and stopping, and even changing gears, and stripping the cars of all the sensors so that the drivers (and the teams) have to rely on their skill to understand what is happening in and around them.

By doing this we would drive down costs on the construction of the cars, and also dramatically reduce the personnel cost as they will be able to divest themselves of the countless bods that they employ in the back of the garages as well as those stuck in the bunkers back at their bases. Going one step further, ban car to pits radios and with no support operations in the bases any more, you have at one stroke slashed your telecoms budget.

Furthermore, mandate standard electronics, as they do with the ECUs now, on the cars with a standardised fuel flow system. This would mean that the drivers would need to control their fuel supply by judicious use of their right feet. And so on ad infinitum.

With all of these regressive changes we might even be able to sort the wheat from the chaff, drivers wise, and who knows, it might even spice up the show. And if that happened, it might even bring back some of the lost enthusiasts like myself who have been bored by the modern form of racing.
Old 9 Jul 2015, 17:31 (Ref:3557042)   #1239
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i like the idea of scaling back the amount of electronic gizmos but i do fear that doing away with them all together would make F1 irrelevant to a modern audience.

but as far as removing them incrementally to see what adds to and what subtracts from the sporting challenge is worth a go imo.

for example im totally fine with a driver receiving step by step instructions from their race engineer on the pit wall but i dont like pit wall receiving real time instructions from race control back at headquarters.

no doubt each one of us have a different idea of where that line should be but i do like JPM's idea.
Old 9 Jul 2015, 19:48 (Ref:3557090)   #1240
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't know how many posters to this thread have read Peter Wright's comprehensive article on spinal injuries and I have to wonder whether it might lead to a change in seating posture being mandated.Which might be a way to push the shape of the cars into a different development path.
Old 9 Jul 2015, 21:06 (Ref:3557119)   #1241
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Yeah, I'd get rid of all the garbage gizmos save the bits n' pieces to do with safety. Modern audiences can chew on those.
Old 10 Jul 2015, 01:42 (Ref:3557165)   #1242
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I don't know how many posters to this thread have read Peter Wright's comprehensive article on spinal injuries and I have to wonder whether it might lead to a change in seating posture being mandated.Which might be a way to push the shape of the cars into a different development path.
Have not seen the article P38, but I have always wondered what the spinal compression of hitting something head on in a current F1 car would be like given that your butt is captive and the momentum of the whole of your torso will be stopped by your tail bone. Probably be three inches shorter after a high G frontal impact!

Has anybody got a link to the article?
Old 10 Jul 2015, 07:35 (Ref:3557229)   #1243
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree 100% with JPM
Old 10 Jul 2015, 20:32 (Ref:3557403)   #1244
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Have not seen the article P38, but I have always wondered what the spinal compression of hitting something head on in a current F1 car would be like given that your butt is captive and the momentum of the whole of your torso will be stopped by your tail bone. Probably be three inches shorter after a high G frontal impact!

Has anybody got a link to the article?
Probably not available online.Read Racecar Engineering V25 No8.
Old 11 Jul 2015, 00:16 (Ref:3557426)   #1245
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Probably not available online.Read Racecar Engineering V25 No8.
Thanks P38, will get a copy.
Old 11 Jul 2015, 20:09 (Ref:3557599)   #1246
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
This is a step in the right direction.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119936
Old 12 Jul 2015, 00:42 (Ref:3557646)   #1247
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119938

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119853
Old 12 Jul 2015, 05:27 (Ref:3557696)   #1248
wnut
Veteran

If the F1 legislative muppets are looking for a blueprint, they could do way worse than look at the current Indycar car. They seem to be very good at running close to one another. Too close for some apparently!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119739
Old 13 Jul 2015, 16:05 (Ref:3558238)   #1249
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
i dont often watch Indy but yesterdays race had me glued to the TV.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 18:05 (Ref:3558273)   #1250
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
There is this thing called Formula Ford, some of the F1 people may have heard of it. It gives great racing and for a tiny cost (compared to F1). If they want a blueprint for future F1, you could do a lot worse than start there.