Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 6 Mar 2014, 07:31 (Ref:3375654)   #26
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The entry list is now at 40. 2 teams added at the last minute.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 12:21 (Ref:3376106)   #27
jimmer
Racer

England
bath somerset
jimmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to Vegas , great track
Old 9 Mar 2014, 02:01 (Ref:3376605)   #28
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What a great a wonderful series this has become! I love watching Kesolamski and Capt Snothead battle for the win with other Cup regulars every week! Congrats to Chase Elliott for winning the "Nationwide Race".

Seriously, it is an old conversation, but does anyone really think that Cup regulars winning every weekend helps this series? Does it really bring in viewers and put butts in the stands? It is becoming an old joke and a detriment to the series, IMO, but not sure of the solution. Having less shared weekends? Don't think you could ban outright Cup regulars from entering, but I'd much prefer to see young up and comers going at it and getting some TV time than the same old DBs I have to watch tomorrow.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 02:45 (Ref:3376611)   #29
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe exclude cup drivers from being scored in the running order, but can still run like anyone else otherwise. They did that in the ALMS with the Porsche 911 Hybrid several years ago.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 03:53 (Ref:3376621)   #30
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
What a great a wonderful series this has become! I love watching Kesolamski and Capt Snothead battle for the win with other Cup regulars every week! Congrats to Chase Elliott for winning the "Nationwide Race".

Seriously, it is an old conversation, but does anyone really think that Cup regulars winning every weekend helps this series? Does it really bring in viewers and put butts in the stands? It is becoming an old joke and a detriment to the series, IMO, but not sure of the solution. Having less shared weekends? Don't think you could ban outright Cup regulars from entering, but I'd much prefer to see young up and comers going at it and getting some TV time than the same old DBs I have to watch tomorrow.
It doesn't bother me, the cream rises and, generally speaking, if you do well in Nationwide a cup ride will follow. This isn't a new thing though, it's been like this forever.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 10:50 (Ref:3376675)   #31
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Agreed, but at least NASCAR is looking at ways of perhaps limiting the number of races Cup regulars can do in a season.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 11:18 (Ref:3376679)   #32
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I followed Chase in his in car camera and radio the whole race.
This young man is the real deal. Smooth as silk and even heard a few
"Yes Sir's" back to his crew chief. As they say , he is definitely
a chip off the old block.

This whole Earnhardt Jr. and Elliott connection is really cool. If you
were a #9 fan back in the day, you hated the #3 . Jr. see's a lot
of his relationship with his dad in the Elliott family. Even though
the 3 and 9 were long time combatants, Jr. see's a bigger picture here.

As far as Cup drivers in Nwide, I am going with what the drivers want,
and that's having Cup drivers in the race. However , I do think Nascar will make modifications to that rule in the future. Personally I would like to see a few races with Nwide point contenders only.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 13:30 (Ref:3376699)   #33
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
It doesn't bother me, the cream rises and, generally speaking, if you do well in Nationwide a cup ride will follow. This isn't a new thing though, it's been like this forever.
Agreed on cream rising, but not that it's been this way forever. It used to be Mark Martin running a dozen or so races a year along with Dick Trickle and the occasional Dale Earnhardt running the Busch race at Daytona and the like. This recent trend started a few years ago with Carl Edwards entering every race he could. Would I do the same? Damn right I would, so I can't complain too much. Just doesn't seem like a series on it's own now, but perhaps my issue is with the guys who generally win the races these days.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 13:33 (Ref:3376701)   #34
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
I followed Chase in his in car camera and radio the whole race.
This young man is the real deal. Smooth as silk and even heard a few
"Yes Sir's" back to his crew chief. As they say , he is definitely
a chip off the old block.

This whole Earnhardt Jr. and Elliott connection is really cool. If you
were a #9 fan back in the day, you hated the #3 . Jr. see's a lot
of his relationship with his dad in the Elliott family. Even though
the 3 and 9 were long time combatants, Jr. see's a bigger picture here.
Yes he is, yes I hated #3 then and now but do think it's pretty neat to see them doing this together. I thought Chase was the real deal when I heard of him beating "adults" in late model races when he was what? 12?
Old 9 Mar 2014, 13:48 (Ref:3376706)   #35
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They could arrange more Nationwide races away from the main circuit so its much less practical for Cup drivers to compete in both on the same weekend. The idea of excluding drivers frankly for being too good is not an idea I like.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 13:56 (Ref:3376708)   #36
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
How about taking two laps off Cup drivers? That way, they can still win the race if they can lap the field twice.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 14:16 (Ref:3376717)   #37
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Agreed on cream rising, but not that it's been this way forever. It used to be Mark Martin running a dozen or so races a year along with Dick Trickle and the occasional Dale Earnhardt running the Busch race at Daytona and the like. This recent trend started a few years ago with Carl Edwards entering every race he could. Would I do the same? Damn right I would, so I can't complain too much. Just doesn't seem like a series on it's own now, but perhaps my issue is with the guys who generally win the races these days.
But if you look at the records from all the guys we used to follow from the 80s-90s, they all have multiple grand national wins. Most of those came after they were in Cup. We have plenty of time this week to argue this...

Grand National races won after full time cup ride:
Bill Elliot - 1
Dale Earnhardt - 24
Bobby Labonte - 5
Mark Martin - 46
Ken Schrader - 2
Terry Labonte - 11
Darrell Waltrip - 13
Geoff Bodine - 6
Harry Gant - 21
Morgan Shepherd - 15
Dick Trickle - 2
Ernie Irvan - 3
Michael Waltrip - 11
Sterling Marlin - 2
Jimmy Spencer - 9
Dale Jarrett - 9

How is Joey Logano's career that much different than Michael Waltrip? Or Carl Edwards and Mark Martin?
Old 9 Mar 2014, 14:43 (Ref:3376723)   #38
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember back in the day we called them Busch Wackers.
Forgot about Mark Martins dominance. Like Tony Stuart says,
"Racers race, that's what we do", so if the funding is there
for a program, most racers would do it.

What Nascar did a few years ago with declaring which series
you want to compete for points in is good for me currently.
Its ok watching the cup regulars race in Nwide but I like
it better if they would just be the owners in that series.

This is the best year for new talent I can remember in a long
long time. Hope everyone stays safe, there are some young'un's
out there!
Old 9 Mar 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3376777)   #39
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
But if you look at the records from all the guys we used to follow from the 80s-90s, they all have multiple grand national wins. Most of those came after they were in Cup. We have plenty of time this week to argue this...
Yes, we do but I'd prefer to whine about sportscars later this week. Let's settle this now.
Quote:
Grand National races won after full time cup ride:
Bill Elliot - 1
Dale Earnhardt - 24
Bobby Labonte - 5
Mark Martin - 46
Ken Schrader - 2
Terry Labonte - 11
Darrell Waltrip - 13
Geoff Bodine - 6
Harry Gant - 21
Morgan Shepherd - 15
Dick Trickle - 2
Ernie Irvan - 3
Michael Waltrip - 11
Sterling Marlin - 2
Jimmy Spencer - 9
Dale Jarrett - 9
I know two of these came at Road ATL as standalone events, with DW and Morgan Shepard taking those events and realize that a bunch of guys ran and won in both series back in the day. However, I see your stats and give you these; all time series wins from "the man".
http://www.jayski.com/news/nationwid.../page/nns-wins
Rank Driver Last Win
1 Kyle Busch 64 Phoenix 3-1-2014
2 Mark Martin 49 Las Vegas 3-5-2011
3 Kevin Harvick 40 Atlanta 8-31-2013
4 Carl Edwards 38 Watkins Glen 8-11-2012
5 Jack Ingram 31 Hickory 3-15-1987
6 Matt Kenseth 28 Kansas 10-5-2013
7 Brad Keselowski 27 Homestead 11-16-2013
8 Jeff Burton 27 Homestead 11-17-2007
9 Tommy Houston 24 Hickory 4-18-1992
10 Dale Earnhardt Jr. 23 Daytona 7-2-2010
The bulk of the Dale Jr and Kennseth wins came when they were in the series full time, going for the championship. Harvick was a full timer during his Cup career and won a load of races and the series outright in 06. Allz I am saying is that this is more prevalent now than in the past with Mark Martin being the only one that ran a lot of races. Wish the series would go back to places like Myrtle Beach and Hickory too. And dude, there's 2 Ts in Elliott.

Interesting facts I just learned:
Marcos Ambrose has more NW wins than Phil Parsons and Ron Fellows more than Buckshot Jones.

Quote:
How is Joey Logano's career that much different than Michael Waltrip? Or Carl Edwards and Mark Martin?
Not much, just that Mikey is a better driver than Joey and Mark is a better driver than Carl, in their respective primes, of course. Yes, that is a shot at someone formerly known as "Sliced Bread".
Old 9 Mar 2014, 19:26 (Ref:3376800)   #40
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Chase's car failed post race tech--front splitter ride height too low.

NASCAR also confiscated Brad's RR shock as part of a random post race shock inspection that NASCAR occasionally does.

Chase will probably get some form of penalty, while NASCAR will wait and see with Brad--if the shock is within spec, no penalty. Doesn't really matter for the #22 unless we factor in owners points.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 23:36 (Ref:3376867)   #41
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Yes, we do but I'd prefer to whine about sportscars later this week. Let's settle this now.
I know two of these came at Road ATL as standalone events, with DW and Morgan Shepard taking those events and realize that a bunch of guys ran and won in both series back in the day. However, I see your stats and give you these; all time series wins from "the man".
http://www.jayski.com/news/nationwid.../page/nns-wins
Rank Driver Last Win
1 Kyle Busch 64 Phoenix 3-1-2014
2 Mark Martin 49 Las Vegas 3-5-2011
3 Kevin Harvick 40 Atlanta 8-31-2013
4 Carl Edwards 38 Watkins Glen 8-11-2012
5 Jack Ingram 31 Hickory 3-15-1987
6 Matt Kenseth 28 Kansas 10-5-2013
7 Brad Keselowski 27 Homestead 11-16-2013
8 Jeff Burton 27 Homestead 11-17-2007
9 Tommy Houston 24 Hickory 4-18-1992
10 Dale Earnhardt Jr. 23 Daytona 7-2-2010
The bulk of the Dale Jr and Kennseth wins came when they were in the series full time, going for the championship. Harvick was a full timer during his Cup career and won a load of races and the series outright in 06. Allz I am saying is that this is more prevalent now than in the past with Mark Martin being the only one that ran a lot of races. Wish the series would go back to places like Myrtle Beach and Hickory too. And dude, there's 2 Ts in Elliott.

Interesting facts I just learned:
Marcos Ambrose has more NW wins than Phil Parsons and Ron Fellows more than Buckshot Jones.

Not much, just that Mikey is a better driver than Joey and Mark is a better driver than Carl, in their respective primes, of course. Yes, that is a shot at someone formerly known as "Sliced Bread".
Counterpoint - There are 7-8 more races per season, so they had less opportunities. I am now arguing a math problem I am too lazy to solve. You win.

And my comment was a shot at Joey and "Mikey".
Old 9 Mar 2014, 23:39 (Ref:3376868)   #42
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
I remember back in the day we called them Busch Wackers.
Forgot about Mark Martins dominance. Like Tony Stuart says,
"Racers race, that's what we do", so if the funding is there
for a program, most racers would do it.

What Nascar did a few years ago with declaring which series
you want to compete for points in is good for me currently.
Its ok watching the cup regulars race in Nwide but I like
it better if they would just be the owners in that series.

This is the best year for new talent I can remember in a long
long time. Hope everyone stays safe, there are some young'un's
out there!
Yep, i think if there is money on the table, go get it.

This is a talented group of rookies for sure. I think Larson is the real deal, but we may never know in that car..
Old 11 Mar 2014, 17:31 (Ref:3377455)   #43
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I don't think the Cup drivers are the main problem, the problem is more Cup drivers racing cars engineered by Cup teams.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 03:24 (Ref:3377633)   #44
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I don't think the Cup drivers are the main problem, the problem is more Cup drivers racing cars engineered by Cup teams.
That's a fair point, too.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 13:22 (Ref:3377799)   #45
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For me the question is, how much interest in the Nationwide series is lost if there are no Cup drivers in it? I would actually be more interested if the series was full of up and coming drivers I have never heard of. But I am guessing that the level or corporate interest would wane and attracting budgets and sponsors would be getting harder and harder.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 18:39 (Ref:3377901)   #46
Dimension
Rookie

European Union
on the mind of a woman near you
Dimension should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think having sprint cup regulars in there makes things more interesting. they most likely attract some that would usually only watch NSCS to take a peak into nationwide. I don't know about the tv ratings, but whenever i watch nationwide i squirm at sight of the vast emptiness up on the stands.

Also, I think its a pretty cool opportunity to benchmark against those that already have a cup ride. For me at least, but I bet many nationwide regs, especially rookies, are licking their lips at a chance to beat dale jr, kevin harvick or matt kenseth. so long as the number of cup guys stays below something like 5-6, I don't see an issue.

the issue i do see is that nationwide is being dominated by the 54 and 22 teams. anytime they put those cars in capable hands, you're just waiting for one of them to retrieve the checkers. this is also the reason I didn't mention keso or kyle above, as they just seem to be in a league of their own. especially the 22 team demonstrates to me however, that its not so much the driver but the team. sure, keso, logano and allmendinger are good drivers, but they're not Sennas competeing against Piquets, so imo its really the car that makes the difference. the 54 occasionally demonstrates this as well, but their drivers aren't quite up to par (yet) cept busch imo.

unfortunately, unless they force those teams to move up into NSCS, I don't think there is much to be done about it.
Old 13 Mar 2014, 23:43 (Ref:3378414)   #47
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Vegas penalties: Three teams were penalized following the Las Vegas NW race.

All three had crew chiefs put on probation until the end of the season, and two were fined. No points penalties.

"DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — The Team Penske No. 22 NASCAR Nationwide Series team, which won last Saturday’s Boyd Gaming 300 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway was among three teams penalized by NASCAR Wednesday afternoon.

Brad Keselowski guided the No. 22 Ford Mustang to his first victory at the 1.5-mile superspeedway, but in post-race inspection NASCAR officials found that the team had utilized a shock absorber that exceeded the maximum gas pressure. Crew chief Jeremy Bullins has been fined $5,000 and placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31.

Elliott Sadler drove his Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota to a 13th-place finish, but his team was cited during opening-day inspection for having weight attached to the car in an unapproved location. Chris Gayle, crew chief on Sadler’s No. 11, has been fined $10,000 and placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31. In addition, car chief Todd Brewer has also been placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31.

Meanwhile, the fifth-place finishing JR Motorsports Chevrolet wheeled by Chase Elliott was found to have surpassed the minimum front height requirement during post-race inspection. Crew chief Greg Ives has been placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31."
Old 14 Mar 2014, 20:55 (Ref:3378725)   #48
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Brad Keselowski guided the No. 22 Ford Mustang to his first victory at the 1.5-mile superspeedway, but in post-race inspection NASCAR officials found that the team had utilized a shock absorber that exceeded the maximum gas pressure. Crew chief Jeremy Bullins has been fined $5,000 and placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31.

Elliott Sadler drove his Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota to a 13th-place finish, but his team was cited during opening-day inspection for having weight attached to the car in an unapproved location. Chris Gayle, crew chief on Sadler’s No. 11, has been fined $10,000 and placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31. In addition, car chief Todd Brewer has also been placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31.
Are these 2 teams cheating?
Old 15 Mar 2014, 18:03 (Ref:3379311)   #49
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Green flag @ Bristol in couple of minutes.

Great national anthem.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 18:14 (Ref:3379329)   #50
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
C'mon Nationwide drivers, having watched USC at Sebring I fully expect you at least match the amount of carnage they've had so far down in Florida