Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jun 2004, 06:56 (Ref:1017202)   #1
aero1
Rookie

aero1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
American Drivers In F1 Debate

First of all I'd like to say that I appreciate the responses from my posts. Since i'm a fairly new fan of F1 and from the U.S. I am trying to learn as much about the sport as well as giving my opinion about F1 fans (or lack of) in the U.S...Ive read posts on this site and others about the absence of U.S. drivers in F1. I'm 35 yrs old and just become a fan of F1 in the last year and a half. The reason for that is from virtually no exposure to F1 until recently. I believe that is the main reason you dont see any American drivers at the moment. Arguably the most popular motorsports in the States are NASCAR, IRL, CART, NHRA (Drag Racing), Outlaw or Sprint Cars. NASCAR being the most popular. So growing up in the U.S. most kids aspire to be the next Earnhardt or Petty. If Speed channel keeps covering the F1 series I believe it will spark some interest with the next generation of drivers here in the U.S..I said in one of my earlier responses that we like what we grow up watching on television and I think if the people are exposed to it long enough you will see some kids with aspirations to be the next Schumacher.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 12:06 (Ref:1017378)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Biggest problem is time zones.

F1 races tend to happen while the USA is still asleep.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 12:14 (Ref:1017390)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very true KB. The time zones in Australia and Japan (and Brazil and Canada, for that matter) result in unsociable hours, but there is less direct competition in those countries.

Americans also seem to like to see their drivers dominate, so before they take an interest it will need soem one to reach teh top and dominate, but that someone will have had to take an interest first, so it's somethign of a vicious cycle.

As guys like Michael Andretti and Bobby Rahal have showed, it's a major risk to go into F1 when it cna go wrong so easy, epseically when there's easier money and guranteed acclaim elsewhere. Besides, the initial feeder championships in teh US arne't geared to road-racing particularly well, whcih isundoubtedly part of why CART is dominated by international drivers, and the IRL going that way.

The lack of funding for young American drivers outside of NASCAR is the other big problem, and that simply stems from a general lack of interest.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 13:44 (Ref:1017501)   #4
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im going to go a bit off topic hear and mention the Offical FIA 2003 review of the year DVD. If you pay attention most if not all non-post race interviews are conducted by Speed channel. Either because their coverage is pretty good (Is from what i've seen.) or Bernie is desperate for their input.

Incidently the Ross Brawn at the Monza Press conference, where he is trying to defend his "Michelin-gate" comments is hilarious.

"Do you have to keep laughing? Thank you."
Old 27 Jun 2004, 18:27 (Ref:1017842)   #5
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Americans will ever really get into F1 - it's boring compared to a lot of the good grassroots stuff which is readily available all over the country, and the marketing wallahs aim everything in GP racing at a European/Eastern market...that'll never appeal.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 21:01 (Ref:1018095)   #6
aero1
Rookie

I respectfully disagree. A couple of years ago I knew of F1 but had no interest whatsoever. I was a hardcore NASCAR fan but after Dale Earnhardt Sr. was killed it took alot out of me. I still watch all the races but not with the same enthusiasm. Soccor (football) was all but dead in the U.S. until (cant remember the network) started covering the World Cup. The coverage did generate alot of interest and made some new fans. I just assumed that F1 was about the same as CART since the bodies were fairly similar and they mainly raced on road courses. It didnt take me long to realize that the F1 cars were a different breed of cat. I was amazed (still amazes me) at the acceleration and the speeds in the corners. I believe F1 will get a fanbase in the States as long as Speed channel keeps doing what theyre doing. Ive done my share of promoting F1 to alot of my friends and their friends etc..etc..I guarentee you that there are ALOT more F1 fans in the U.S. today than there were 2 years ago thanks to alot more coverage. Obviously people here would like to see an American behind the wheel but I dont believe it's a necessity. Most countries would want one of their own driving in F1. It's no different than pulling for your country during the Olympic's. I knew I was hooked when I was disappointed during the 2 weeks between races. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 13:43 (Ref:1018844)   #7
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by aero1
I respectfully disagree.
Hey, can tell you're new!

Only joking - but I see your point...but you look at somewhere like Germany and literally everyone is interested in F1 - they've got umpteen high-profile Germans involved in F1, yes - but a lot of what goes on in F1 is aimed at Germans - they've got their two races and a bundle of German sponsors/companies, etc.

It's easy enough to get enthusiasts to watch F1 in the US, but you'll never get the wide band of popular support like F1 has in central Europe.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 14:41 (Ref:1018895)   #8
aero1
Rookie

Ok...I disrespectfully disagree..LOL. I believe youre right about that. I never said it would be as popular with Americans as it is with Europeans. I'm just saying that it's more popular in the U.S. today than it was 2 yrs ago and should continue to gain fans as long as Speed broadcasts the races and qualifying.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 02:15 (Ref:1019644)   #9
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a country's fan base allways rises when there is a driver of that nationality in F1. i remmember that here in Portugal everyone knew who Pedro Lamy was, but nowadays few people follow the sport.

Why is this? Perhaps because when there is a national driver there will be more coverage of the races. This is particulary true for series not as big as F1: FIA GT, LMES, Spanish GTs, UK F3, to name some, have allways more space on the racing press when there is a Portuguese driver in the race.
As for F1, which is covered in the racing press wether there is or not a Portuguese driver around, and the broadcast is live (except the last two GPs because they clashed with Euro 2004 games) on a main channel, it also gains mentions on the news programs and more generalistic press.
And of course, there is the cheering for your country attitude

All this said, I hope they don't chose a driver for a racing place because he "might appeal to a more important share of the market", instead of simply trying to get the best around... no, wait, they already do this....
Old 29 Jun 2004, 05:06 (Ref:1019699)   #10
Homer Simpson
Rookie

Homer Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by aero1
I just assumed that F1 was about the same as CART since the bodies were fairly similar and they mainly raced on road courses.
Aero1, I know what you mean. Before I moved to the U.S. from Taiwan, I had absolutely no exposure to motorsports, much less F1. Even when I was going to college here in California during the mid 1990s, I had little interest in motorsports, primarily because there was such little coverage on the free network television. I came to learn about F1 through computer racing sims my last year of college, and slowly started following the sport via the internet (I didn't have cable at the time, and the popular media never mentioned F1). With the increased coverage by Speed (cable channel) of F1, I've noticed significant increases of new F1 fans, particularly telling in various F1-related bulletin boards.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 17:12 (Ref:1020331)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Americans dont tend to be drawn to non-American sports. We dont take to sports like soccer etc. Even though it is the biggest in the world. F1 is suffering from the same thing here. I am sure an American driver would help matters but they would need to be in a winning team and even better in a Ford or Chevy.

It is good for the sport in some ways to have and American driver. But imo, the people who only watch just because there is an American, Japanese or whatever, in the sport are not really fans of the sport anyway. When their driver is no longer there they will go back to left turns only.

It would be great if the sport was as popular as the more American sports. Maybe when nascar finally rolls over and dies. Until then I think only those that are in search of a little more than what is shown on local tv will be interested in F1. F1 is a sport that has to be learned. Its not just about the racing. I dont think most Americans even understand (or care to) the sport. Really, F1 is as much a soap opera as a racing series. If you are new to it you can be lost for quite awhile.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 19:29 (Ref:1020517)   #12
BARrouette
Racer

BARrouette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Biggest problem is time zones.

F1 races tend to happen while the USA is still asleep.
That doesn't stop me to stay late or to wake up at 7:30 in the morning to watch it live...

And Aero1 have you see the 1997 season???
Old 29 Jun 2004, 19:42 (Ref:1020533)   #13
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am i right in thinking that Stefan Johannson is making noises about getting a team together, i know we have been here before with US F1 teams but just suppose he does manage to get it together surely he would have an american in one of the seats, i know its highly unlikely but i would love to see Sam Hornish get a decent length test in an F1, he is your best bet in my opinion.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 19:45 (Ref:1020540)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stefan Johansson is Swedish!

His talks are apprently with McLaren, so I would expect they'd also supply the drivers.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 19:52 (Ref:1020551)   #15
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
Sorry KB, i know "Steve Johnson" is Swedish but he has been in the US for so long he must be considered a yank out there by now, my main point was surely he would get someone like Hunter Reay on board, take your point about McLaren though.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 23:05 (Ref:1020837)   #16
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stephan owned and ran Team American Spirit, in CART last year, with the only two American drivers in that series, so I think its safe to say that he considers himself a "yank"!

Back to topic, it's all about exposure. Speed Channel, showing all the F1 practices, quals, and races live is giving a huge lift to F1 here. While it certainly would be nice to see an American driver in the series, I don't see it being imperative to American viewership. In CART and the IRL, I do think its important because those are American series, and they race mainly here in N America.

Remember, the USGP is the best attended GP of the year, which is pretty darn good, considering the spotty coverage the series had here for years. With Speed Channel's regular coverage, it can only get better...

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Jun 2004, 23:13 (Ref:1020843)   #17
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Most of the people there were from South America though.

And you'd expect the GP with double the capacity of anywhere else to have more people than anywhere else!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 23:25 (Ref:1020846)   #18
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During the USGP Speed Channel coverage, Jackie Stewart was interviewed on this very topic. His response was that Americans are pathetically domestic. They need to have an American to cheer for or else they lose interest.

Ted
Old 30 Jun 2004, 00:59 (Ref:1020870)   #19
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
q. if you enjoy f1, and obviously you do, why isn't that enough?

who cares what americans are into?

gosh i sure wish golf were bigger in france.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 02:30 (Ref:1020911)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Personally I have been trying to figure out how to raise interest in bowling in the Middle East. Perhaps someone from Lebanon on the Pro Bowlers Tour...

Americans can be pretty darn parochial, but I am always amused by comments like Sir Jackie's. Easy to imply someone from the UK would be interested in F1 because they like it as opposed to having how many teams bsed in Britain and then how many drivers from various parts of the former Empire participating! (no offense!).

I think to raise the average American's interest F1 needs to have more than one race here. That will raise sponsor awareness and THEN we will see an American in F1. In the meantime I just like the racing and really don't care about the nationality thing much.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 1 Jul 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1022868)   #21
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
What do you american guys think of the idea of a race in New York then, i can`t help but think of the Vegas nightmare in the early 80`s, as for a US driver in F1, i really do think if you had a real good talented hard charger in there, even in a team like Sauber so a good drive would be noticed, only then will it really take off, just out of interest do you think you have anyone ready for F1 in the near future, Hunter Reay seems to be making the right noises but i am a long way from convinced about him, maybe A J Almendinger, what do you think.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 02:06 (Ref:1023192)   #22
aero1
Rookie

I agree with JohnSSC. I'm from the U.S. and couldnt care less if there is or ever will ever be another U.S. driver in F1. I started this thread to give my opinion on why I think you dont see an American behind the wheel. I'm a new fan of F1 and obviously it's not because i'm pulling for an American driver. I'm a fan of speed...plain and simple. You dont have to be from Country X to be a fan of F1. Some of us are appreciative of the technology that goes into the cars and some of us are speed enthusiasts. I dont care who's behind the wheel. As long as the cars are running i'll be watching.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 02:21 (Ref:1023203)   #23
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
If there is going to be a second race here, than please let it be on a real race track! Monaco is the only street/temporary circuit F1 needs.

Laguna Seca would be really, really cool! I can imagine seeing F1 cars coming down through the corkscrew...actually I would really like to see T Sato going through that particular bit!

Yes, I remember Vegas and it was, well, tawdry! Everyone was running about in a bunch of parking lots. Sorry, there are existing race tracks so lets use them!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.