Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 Apr 2000, 21:57 (Ref:2271)   #1
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok so what's everyone’s opinion of the 1st BTCC races? I was there and it was great to watch BTCC again.
Brands was a good circuit, better that what I had remembered. The races were excellent, some wonderful overtaking maneuvers, but I got the feeling we could have done with a few more drivers. The drivers that we do have seemed very closely matched (but was that to do with the safety car?) I can’t wait until I watch the video and the BBC coverage.

But there was a few disappointments – NO drivers parade, few drivers in both classes and NO radio. Apparently the lack of Radio TOCA is down to sponsorship., and unless they find some quickly thats the way it going to stay.

I am shocked and disappointed with TOCA allowing this. The speakers are not adequate enough when the race is under full swing, and there are not always speakers situated everywhere in the circuit. For example, for those of us in the pit lane walk about we heard none of the commentary. We heard no interviews with the drivers, and by the sounds of it even BBC managed better than that!

What does everyone else think to this?
Old 10 Apr 2000, 22:29 (Ref:2272)   #2
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too was there!

I was disappointed with there being no Public address system round the GP loop.

It seems that Brands was also trying to wring every last penny out of the fans.Like charging £3.00 for a programme when it used to be free! Charging for seating on Saturday when it used to be free! and the seats on Raceday have gone up from £8 to £10! I've heard of inflation, but 25%???

Curtailing the Renault Clio's after 4 laps cheesed me off too, they look as though they will be a good series, but we didn't get to properly see that!

By mid afternoon Sunday the Toilets were particularly lovely

Oh and getting out of the circuit at the end was its usual shambles!

But despite all of this, I had a fabulous weekend!
Old 10 Apr 2000, 23:05 (Ref:2273)   #3
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the only main disapointment of the day was the touring cars.. but I was prepared for that!!!

I can't believe that the radio station isn't working, its absolutley crucial - espcially at the Brands GP circuit.. no sponsorship is no excuse!

The other races were pretty good - much better than previous years. But why did they run the F1 cars so early??? They were the best cars and had a full grid!!!

And the Renualt series is the best single seater cahmpionship apart from F3's..

Quite good, but let's see what BMP are going to do... ST's look very dead.
Old 11 Apr 2000, 14:24 (Ref:2274)   #4
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thoughts on the day include:

1) the following items would be a welcome addition to the GP Loop - commentary, toilets for those not prepared to nip off into the trees and food 'cos it is too far to walk back to the Indy circuit.

2) was the crowd smaller than last year? - I think so, although the GP track made it hard to tell.

3) why didn't the TGP blokes leave the cars round in the paddock for us to have a good look at. When I looked in a few Williams were lying about but most teams were getting the stuff straight in the van and nipping off. And as Rik said why so early in the day?

4) the ST races weren't great but thanks to James Thompson for your spin it was worth the admission money alone.

5) the radio commentary was **** (if you could hear it)

6) Dingle Dell corner is lovely, Muller was getting some decent lift.

7) The big plus point is I do think the works teams and drivers are evenly matched (except Honda?) so it should be less of a one or two horse race than past years.

8) The support bill looks good as well it's just the main event that needs a kick in the bits to get it going.

9) Fan of the day: 8 year old "dad why are they called Touring Cars?". Father "cos they tour tracks in the UK racing."

10) Who thinks the program was half the size of any other circuit and why was there bugger all about group B cars in it?

[This message has been edited by Andy H (edited 11 April 2000).]
Old 11 Apr 2000, 18:54 (Ref:2275)   #5
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do I agree with all that and more. Our friends bought tickets and then decided to go for a yearly ticket (£200 for the pair of them). Three weeks ago they sent the weekend tickets back as requested and waited for the new ones. They phoned last week to be told they were in the post, again Monday and again Wednesday - everytime being promised that they were in the post. Friday Brans decided that they hadn't been sent out and so said they would be left on the gate. I 'll let you guess what happened when they arrived Sunday. Surfice to say - a strong letter will be in the post.
I couldn't hear the commentary on Qualifying day let alone race day in the Paddock stand. It would help if they would wait until the cars have stopped before calling out the positions/winners/times or put the results sheets out in the paddock so we could grab a sheet. I ended up giving up. The race circuits should pay radio Toca and improve the score boards. Noone knew what was going on - just red flags or safety car board. In this day and age the electronic store boards should be improved to show all the cars not just the top 6 with times and comments.
The pit lane walkabout was really disappointing - the one time you get to hear the gossip and thoughts on the cars and I couldn't hear a thing.
And as for commentators who was that prat in the pit lane on the BBC. If he doesn't cause a punch up by the end of the season it will be a miracle. Kristenson and Matt looked as if they would go a couple of rounds with each other.
But apart from all that it was a really good day especially as I am a Vauxhall fan.
Old 11 Apr 2000, 20:06 (Ref:2276)   #6
plomax
Rookie

plomax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hi
Apologies to all for being the cause of Sundays Clio race being curtailed so early. We had been told that a result would only be posted if the race had gone 6 laps, but because of the red flag in the TGP race the programme was running behind. Therefore my acrobatic Clio (No.23) tumbling along Clark curve and parking itself across the track meant that the impending live BBC broadcast slot was in jeopardy... apparantly.
So again my apologies for depriving you of what will definately be a brilliant series. cheers
Paul

Old 11 Apr 2000, 21:44 (Ref:2277)   #7
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Paul, and welcome to Ten Tenths. Thanks for the apology, but I think it should come from the organisers, not from a guy doing his level best to win!! I hope that you fare better in future races, keep us posted on how you get on??

The Clio series looks as though it will produce some close and exciting racing, so I was sad to only get four laps.

A knowledgable "source" tells me that they're a bit tail end happy until the tyres get up to temperature, true or false?
Old 11 Apr 2000, 22:20 (Ref:2278)   #8
plomax
Rookie

Many thanks for your good wishes.
The new race Clios take some getting used to and feel somewhat like a rear wheel drive car. Ironically though it was unexpected understeer which caused my excursion on Sunday - we suspect I may have picked up a puncture in an earlier heavy contact at Surtees.
All in all though they are one fantastic peice of kit. Compare the lap times between the Clios and the "Super Production" cars and you'll see what I mean.
p.s. The tv coverage of the Clios starts on May 11th on Channel 4.
cheers
Paul

Old 12 Apr 2000, 00:41 (Ref:2279)   #9
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent! Someone else to cheer on! It's great to hear from someone "on the inside". However, Paul, I don't think you quite realise the magnitude of the mistake you just made - you'll be lucky not to have the entire Ten-tenths gang descending on you in the paddock - is this something you're really prepared for?

I've been following the MG Owners Club championship, so the Jim Edwardses names are known to me, plus we know Graham Holmes from Vectras last year, but it's great to hear from someone else in the championship. Expect us all to be cheering you on - best of luck for the rest of the season!
Old 12 Apr 2000, 05:23 (Ref:2280)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
G'day Paul and welcome to 10/10, why not wander across to the racer's forum and tell us a bit about your car, series and tracks.
Old 12 Apr 2000, 18:06 (Ref:2281)   #11
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to hear from you Paul. We were trying to find someone to follow so you are now IT.
see you at Donnington and better luck I hope.
Old 13 Apr 2000, 21:07 (Ref:2282)   #12
plomax
Rookie

Hi
Many Thanks!
I look forward to seeing any and all of you at the forthcoming rounds - please come and say "Hi".
As you may have seen from Autosport today the car was pretty comprehensively destroyed - including engine damage. We're trying to acquire the bits or a new car for Donington.
Hope to see you there.
I'll let you know how we get on with the rebuild etc in the "racers" forum.
cheers
Paul
Old 13 Apr 2000, 21:23 (Ref:2283)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Hi Paul, and welcome.

Why not write a short article (five or six pages should do it...! ) on your adventures (!) and the series for Parc Ferme Magazine or our newsletter ?
Old 14 Apr 2000, 12:17 (Ref:2284)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah that was pretty comprehensive. I sympathise, having been there myself.

Come to the Racers Forum and tell us how it happened and what you're doing to put it right.

BTW. You mention engine damage. I take it you kept the foot in the sump whilst it was inverted?