Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 25 Aug 2010, 07:52 (Ref:2749811)   #1
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castle Combe noob, info please.

Hello all

Looking to make my first trip down to Castle Combe on Monday, so looking for some info.

Where is the best place to spectate from? I have heard lots about quarry, is this the best bet? Can i see much of the circuit from here? Also can i park nearby, being bank holiday i am expecting rain so watching from the car could be good.

Also, any where to get good lunch from in the circuit?

Cheers for any info, looking forward to it, if not the 3 hour drive!

Simon
Old 25 Aug 2010, 11:32 (Ref:2749918)   #2
kjw
Racer

United Kingdom
East Kent
kjw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castle Coombe great circuit. Watching from quarry is a good spot, there is also a cafe for food. Not sure about watching from a parked car though?
Old 25 Aug 2010, 16:59 (Ref:2750055)   #3
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You can watch from a car at Tower but will need to get there early as it fills up fast. All parking is near to the track.

Quarry tends to have the most 'dramas' but you see little of the rest of the lap. Camp, Westway, Tower, Old Paddock and the Esses all offer views of half to two-thirds of the lap.

My advice would be to walk the circuit during qualifying, you are never more than 30 feet away from the track all the way round, and then pick your spot.

There are various burger vans around the circuit and the Tavern in the paddock.

Have a good time and remember waterproofs and sun scream
Old 25 Aug 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2750132)   #4
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I was spectating at Combe, I would always try to walk a lap during the racing and watch each from a different vantage point - there isn't really a duff one. However, I shall be confined to the pit lane on podium and pit lane commentary, which doesn't offer the best view of the track!
Old 28 Aug 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2751574)   #5
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Hmmm.Combe. Or Mallory. Tough choice...

Off to check what's racing.

I like Combe, very friendly. Although I lost an irreplaceable Spa 24 hours hat there...
Old 29 Aug 2010, 05:26 (Ref:2751631)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah Tim you can't blame us Moonrakers for that LOL

snowen250 - make sure you walk anti-clockwise so you can see the cars coming towards you, it's quite impressive. The stretch from Folly to Quarry gives a good sense of speed, altho I'd never park my car there and always have my running shoes close by.

You can see quite a bit of the track from most places, especially up on the banking, depends on whether HTS has cut the crops or not in the centre.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 11:05 (Ref:2751685)   #7
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think il try quarry first, then see what i can find. Cheers all!

Never been to Combe so looking forward to it, il chat to marshalls and speccys alike on the day, see what people think.

Cheers all!

Simon
Old 31 Aug 2010, 18:34 (Ref:2752829)   #8
Adam74
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bath, England..
Adam74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowen250 View Post
I think il try quarry first, then see what i can find. Cheers all!

Never been to Combe so looking forward to it, il chat to marshalls and speccys alike on the day, see what people think.

Cheers all!

Simon
Simon - how did you get on Monday..?

I would be interested to know your thoughts on Combe, where you enjoyed watching the most etc.. Hope you had a good day,

Cheers,
Adam.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 21:23 (Ref:2752914)   #9
SCHUEYISDABEST
Rookie

United Kingdom
SCHUEYISDABEST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll agree Quarry is pretty cool to watch from, and i liked watching at Bobbies too (Used to stand there in between Kart races and watch real cars driving!)
Old 31 Aug 2010, 21:48 (Ref:2752923)   #10
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you make it to Combe on Monday Simon and if so what did you think. Be interesting to hear your take on it as some of us may be a bit blinkered after spectating there for 40 years. (Love the place !)
Old 2 Sep 2010, 23:39 (Ref:2753877)   #11
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
My annual rip Sarf went very well.
Happily wandered round a lap during the afternoon, having missed the FFords due to queues to get in, which HAS to be a good thing?
Thankfully missed the BIG hit in the Intermarque. I was up at Bobbies at that point.
Loads of pix on Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfish_imagining/
Best circuit for pictures, IMHO.