Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Nov 2017, 05:28 (Ref:3777905)   #1
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Driver briefing videos

Sky Sports & the official F1 site have been lately showing the driver briefings which I think is a fantastic initiative and provides a good insight, I've enjoyed them thus far.

Most drivers seem to just sit back and let the main vocalists duke it out.

Lewis however, well it's all a little "well Seb does this and Seb did that"...

Sure hope these continue into the future!

Links:

Japan: https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...g_-_Japan.html

USA: https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...ing_-_USA.html

Mexico: https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20..._-_Mexico.html
Old 1 Nov 2017, 15:38 (Ref:3777997)   #2
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like that they are providing these. My thoughts...

1. I am surprised about how little of importance is actually discussed or how little actual instruction is provided by Charlie. However we don't know how much might be discussed offline in other forums. It sounds more like a chance for drivers to talk to Charlie directly.

2. Its interesting to see the driver personalities. Especially when they come across as small children with "tit for tat" complaints to their parents. The entire exchange about "loosening" or "undoing" belts at the end of the race was hilarious. Of course it started with the discussion about not riding on other cars which led to steering wheel not being left on the car which led to undoing straps. Short version (note... not direct quotes, but me paraphrasing)...

Charlie: It was OK this time, but please don't ride on other cars (talking about Seb, but letting him off the hook for breaking a rule).

Lewis: What about Seb taking his steering wheel with him (pointing out another violation)?

Charlie: Well, that was sort of OK (thinking... we didn't really want to penalize him)

Grosjean: What about Lewis undoing his belts after checked flag (Lewis are you the pot and Seb the kettle?)

Charlie: You can't undo your belts.

Grosjean: (Thinking to himself... Lewis is clearly undoing his belts)

Charlie: Loosening is OK, but you should not "undo" your belts (patting himself on back for clearing that up!)

Massa: Umm, when in the car, the driver really can't loosen them. You really can only unlatch them (addressing elephant in room among the drivers)

Charlie: So, Lewis, do you loosen them or undo them?

Lewis: (sheepish grin on face) I undo them (also peeved at Grosjean for bringing it up, and maybe not realizing he sort of started the tit for tat)

To be honest, I am not sure if ANYTHING was sorted out in any of those meetings.

Richard
Old 1 Nov 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3778000)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ah well, it certainly helped get them through a bit of it and gave us something entertaining to read
Old 1 Nov 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3778011)   #4
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hamilton is, as we would have named him at school, a sneak. He has form for this running off to headmaster Whiting when things don't go his way. Such as the incident that happened last year, or was it before that?, when he went to Charlie behind the team's back to complain (he claimed that it was just clarification that he wanted) over something that, I think, Nico did.

Whatever, he often displays a childlike demeanour which is not very endearing.

(Just to make it clear, I used to admire him when he first came into F1, but I find him tiresome nowadays.)
Old 1 Nov 2017, 17:54 (Ref:3778017)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Vettel poking fun of LH's headphones in the Mexico debrief was pretty funny.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 18:23 (Ref:3778025)   #6
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Vettel poking fun of LH's headphones in the Mexico debrief was pretty funny.
Yes! And while I was critical of the meetings... please continue to show them to us. They are entertaining.

Richard
Old 2 Nov 2017, 11:57 (Ref:3778159)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not as fun as the one in the Senna movie, with Mr J-M Balestre trying to convince the drivers that he knew track safety better than them, and that he wasn’t favouring Mr Prost....

Last edited by GTRMagic; 2 Nov 2017 at 12:14. Reason: Its Jean-Marie, not Jean-Paul... soz...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 Nov 2017, 12:26 (Ref:3778162)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, the famous ‘the best decision is my decision,’ although he meant his decision to give drivers a vote on something
Old 2 Nov 2017, 13:06 (Ref:3778169)   #9
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to SKY F1 the "important" part of the briefing isnt shown in public, only the "Q & A" driver discussion from the last race.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 15:13 (Ref:3778201)   #10
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
According to SKY F1 the "important" part of the briefing isnt shown in public, only the "Q & A" driver discussion from the last race.
I want to believe that and it is probably true, but take the USA briefing as an example. Unless there was some very crafty editing, the video clearly starts with the start of the meeting with Charlie effectively hushing the crowd to get the meeting going and ends with everyone getting up to leave.

I would assume the other briefings are not part of this meeting at all. I would love to know how that works. Maybe just prior to (or after) the driver Q&A there is a meeting that is between team principles and other key team stakeholders and Charlie (and other "race control" types)?

Richard
Old 2 Nov 2017, 22:42 (Ref:3778256)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I like these videos too.
Old 3 Nov 2017, 06:48 (Ref:3778301)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
I hope this is the case. Drivers and officials should be free to speak freely in these meetings without the restriction of knowing they’re being filmed.

I do agree they can be intriguing and the clips in the Senna film were fascinating.
Old 3 Nov 2017, 08:04 (Ref:3778307)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They were only fascinating because they were being orchestrated by a complete and utter buffoon!!
Old 3 Nov 2017, 10:09 (Ref:3778320)   #14
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Ahhh yet another hamilton bashing thread

Not sure what hamilton did wrong or why he is a sneak. He asked a legitimate question as to why a driver wasn’t penalised for breaking the rules TWICE, by removing his steering wheel, and riding back on another car. The same questions fans were asking the week previously.

Given that he himself has been penalised for not going around a cone in Russia during qualifying, on an aborted lap and got docked places, and got penalised for pushing his car back in the pit lane, I can understand the relevance of getting clarity and consistancy when other drivers are breaking the rules.

Also seems like Perez is picked on quite a bit by other drivers in there too!
Old 3 Nov 2017, 14:51 (Ref:3778364)   #15
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Maybe one post, but the entire thread? Umm... no? Maybe the best thing is to not help turn this into a Hamilton thread?

Quote:
Not sure what hamilton did wrong or why he is a sneak.
I wasn't the one calling him a sneak, but my observation was that he decided to complain about another driver breaking a rule and then he became annoyed when someone called him out as well. After pointing his finger at others, did he think someone wouldn't be able to find an example of him doing something wrong?

It's clear to me that they ALL have probably done (and gotten away) with something. Maybe even on a regular basis. The point is that the tit for tat stuff in that meeting is apparently pointless.

Richard
Old 3 Nov 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3778370)   #16
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Not sure what hamilton did wrong or why he is a sneak.
I'm the one who called him a sneak. It was Hamilton who, don't forget, got out of his car after qualifying last year and went directly to Charlie Whiting to get "clarification" that his team-mate's pole lap time was done within the rules.

That alone qualifies him, in my mind, to be what we called, when I was in school, a sneak. Running to teacher to tell on another pupil. And his does do this at the drivers' meetings with his "Johnny did this" and Johnny did that". It does not endear him to his peers.
Old 3 Nov 2017, 19:40 (Ref:3778402)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Not sure what hamilton did wrong or why he is a sneak. He asked a legitimate question as to why a driver wasn’t penalised for breaking the rules TWICE, by removing his steering wheel, and riding back on another car. The same questions fans were asking the week previously.

Given that he himself has been penalised for not going around a cone in Russia during qualifying, on an aborted lap and got docked places, and got penalised for pushing his car back in the pit lane, I can understand the relevance of getting clarity and consistancy when other drivers are breaking the rules.

Also seems like Perez is picked on quite a bit by other drivers in there too!
This is partly why I don’t think they should be broadcast. It might influence how people act and they might not raise concerns, or actually play to the camera.

However, I do also see what people are saying. Not showing these might save Hamilton from himself!

Imagine if we got to see these all the time with Mansell? Oh crikey! Or, actually, what about Piquet in these?!
Old 5 Nov 2017, 07:08 (Ref:3778738)   #18
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
What about an F1 drivers Master Chef?......I don't want to watch a drivers breifing there's enough crap on TV already.
Old 5 Nov 2017, 10:24 (Ref:3778771)   #19
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
What about an F1 drivers Master Chef?......I don't want to watch a drivers breifing there's enough crap on TV already.
I quite like seeing the goings on behind the scenes of the sport. It's interesting. Don't necessarily care about the personalities involved, but it's cool seeing the meetings and what's discussed.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 01:01 (Ref:3779132)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's interesting in the same way watching jeremy kyle is interesting...
Old 7 Nov 2017, 07:01 (Ref:3779177)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Old 7 Nov 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3779190)   #22
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it's interesting in the same way watching jeremy kyle is interesting...
What? They have a lie detector option in the drivers briefings? Megga!