Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Mar 2002, 00:00 (Ref:228915)   #1
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Accident analysis

I was just looking at my tape of the first-corner accident in Melbourne, to see as best I could the sequence of events. I thought I'd post it here to see if anyone has a different or better impression of it...

As far as the triggering incident, I don't think there's much I can add to what others have written in this forum, save to mention that the collision happened at about 70 m. before the corner (20 m. before the 50 m. placard, i.e.) -- suggesting that Ralf had every chance of braking for the first turn, contrary to some arguments.

So Ralf and Rubens are off into the blue; David burns his front right tire as he brakes radically for the turn, but makes it. M.S. goes off to the left and threads his way across the grass, while Raikkonen simultaneously goes off at a tangent, pursuing Rubens deep into the trap -- from which he emerges quite some time later, sending some track marshals scurrying. Immediately behind, Fisichella and Massa are side-by side and showing every sign of making it through the turn when Heidfeld comes off the grass at the apex, slams into the side of Fisi and slams him into Massa. Massa is pushed sideways. As he tries to get past, Button hits Heidfeld and wipes off the side of his car, whereupon Panis hits Button. McNish spins but as far as I could see hits no-one, but stalls. Then everyone else makes their way past in train.

That's what I've got so far. It really was unfortunate that poor Heidfeld took the grass, because if he'd just braked enough to get through the turn, most of this wouldn't have happened, as far as I can tell.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 14:43 (Ref:229287)   #2
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Finnish TV Interview Mika Salo said that he was hit by teammate McNish and had some suspension damage following that. That´s why he had long pit stop.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 15:09 (Ref:229296)   #3
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting! That's unfortunate, for both of them. I felt very sad that McNish didn't have even one turn's worth of racing.

Thanks for the information, Bleu.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 18:16 (Ref:229383)   #4
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on Bibendum......... I figure Nick thought he could gun down the inside on the grass and make up some spots while missing the accordian of slowing cars...only problem was the grass was wet and he was way to hot.
I have tended to be hard on Heidfeld but in fact he may have just been trying to hard.
At one time I felt he was better than Kimi but I am not so sure now.