Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 23 Feb 2015, 23:36 (Ref:3508199)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
SBF MMXV

I'm a bit late starting this years thread, but that's not to say I've been completely idle. As usual they aren't complete

First one

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan 1 Full Loop.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	44532 Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan 1 2  loops.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	44533
Old 23 Feb 2015, 23:37 (Ref:3508200)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A second Circuit

This one is just a line sketch but could be made to look good.
Attached Thumbnails
Jan 2 Layout.jpg  
Old 23 Feb 2015, 23:52 (Ref:3508203)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
This has been on before as the left turn challenge
Attached Thumbnails
Top view.jpg   Feb 1  Dims.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 24 Feb 2015 at 00:14.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 00:18 (Ref:3508207)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
This one is unfinished, it was intended for the 10 turn challenge.

I might at least finish the structure and repost

Name:	T10 challenge 2 Top View.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	44537 Click image for larger version

Name:	T10 challenge 2 off view.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	44538
Old 25 Feb 2015, 14:11 (Ref:3508844)   #5
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whenever I have tried something like the left turn challenge, something doesn't quite seem right. I'm sure your design would make a fine circuit, but from above the flow doesn't seem to be quite there if there are more left handers than right on a clockwise circuit, or vice versa. Does that make sense? Maybe? Just me? ok..

I really like the simplicity of the most recent design, and although not particularly relevant, I appreciate the detail on the bridge design with the access tunnels running parallel to the track.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 17:14 (Ref:3508900)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
If a circuit was going to the expense of having a bridge section built, it would likely be cheaper to make it a bit longer and have additional spans over access ways than build other bridges or tunnels for fan/paddock access.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 21:35 (Ref:3509008)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Here's another...too many gravel traps and not enough time.

All versions run anticlockwise.
The Green and Blue circuits can be run simultaneously.

Name:	Feb 2 Tracks and Dims.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	452.4 KB
ID:	44548 Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb 2 Top View.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	44549
Old 4 Mar 2015, 09:44 (Ref:3511566)   #8
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I'm a bit late starting this years thread, but that's not to say I've been completely idle. As usual they aren't complete

First one

Attachment 44532 Attachment 44533
If people think you might have been "idle", what would they think of me as a track designer? I guess my interests have just shifted, or that I've come to the conclusion that the number of racetracks in the real world is already too high to make most of them commercially viable. After all, there are just so many motor racing series. I guess the future for track design is club tracks. And sometimes, a club track can have a scoop and host a major series, too, like the IndyCar race at NOLA Motorsports Park which is forthcoming this year.

That is a circuit which your first design on this thread reminds me of conceptually: the design has got two loops but only one of them was actually built. Which of the two loops would you recommend the owners of your track to build if they just have the budget for one of them?
Old 4 Mar 2015, 09:49 (Ref:3511569)   #9
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
If a circuit was going to the expense of having a bridge section built, it would likely be cheaper to make it a bit longer and have additional spans over access ways than build other bridges or tunnels for fan/paddock access.
That's a point well taken. In fact, it could turn into a concept for a purpose-built facility with a bridge right there: how might a circuit look like which has got the paddock access road, the track itself and a spectator access bridge, all contained on the same overpass? Thank you for this interesting idea.

edit: I had to zoom in on the closeup picture to understand it correctly. Kudos for coming up with a great concept.

What are the white patches on the bridge?
Old 4 Mar 2015, 11:06 (Ref:3511600)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
The White patches are unfinished sections
Old 31 Mar 2015, 22:27 (Ref:3522501)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I really wanted to finish this one, but Alas....
Attached Thumbnails
March 2 Top.jpg   March 2 Dims.jpg  
Old 20 Apr 2015, 18:10 (Ref:3529408)   #12
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I finally have more than just a few minutes at a time
Attached Thumbnails
Apri 1 Dims.jpg   April 1 Top View.jpg   April 1 extra.jpg  

Old 25 Apr 2015, 23:10 (Ref:3530847)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
And Here is another

Short 3.136 km or 1.96 miles

Long 4.249 km or 2.66 miles
Attached Thumbnails
April 2 Top.jpg   April 2 Straight.jpg   April 2 T2.jpg  

April 2 Loop.jpg   April 2 T14.jpg  
Old 27 Apr 2015, 12:00 (Ref:3531147)   #14
Yannick
Veteran

You've posted some really good designs lately: that Dijonesque concept in posting #13, that fast circuit in posting #12, that pitlane-and-paddock finger with the surrounding perimeter circuit in posting #11, and let's not forget those Shades of Autopolis up there in posting #3. It's too bad that the audience on here seems to be dwindling: it must be because the racing season is on now.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 01:39 (Ref:3531348)   #15
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
You've posted some really good designs lately: that Dijonesque concept in posting #13, that fast circuit in posting #12, that pitlane-and-paddock finger with the surrounding perimeter circuit in posting #11, and let's not forget those Shades of Autopolis up there in posting #3. It's too bad that the audience on here seems to be dwindling: it must be because the racing season is on now.
We're here. I'm just hard pressed to find issue.
Old 9 May 2015, 22:24 (Ref:3535988)   #16
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Another airport based on from me, also posted in the airports thread

Imagine that if Melbourne lost out on hosting the F1, where could the Australian event go, back to Adelaide?, how about Perth and they are even prepared to close of the airport for it...

Name:	May 1 Perth International.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1,017.5 KB
ID:	45043

It comes in three variations so they could have the V8SCs visit on another weekend using only the Shorter red circuit which doesn't use any of the runways. In fact the cross runway could probably still be used during racing whilst the Main runway would only need to be stopped during the races themselves.

Name:	May 1 overall.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	566.8 KB
ID:	45044

The either of the longer circuits could be used by F1, or a major endurance race.

And finally a closeup of the circuit itself out of the airport context.

Name:	May 1 Circuit Detail.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	45045
Old 20 May 2015, 21:30 (Ref:3539778)   #17
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
A blank sheet design again this time.

Name:	May 2 outline.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	45103

The full GP circuit runs Clockwise for a distance of 4.872km which is 3.045 miles

Name:	May 2 Top View.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	45104

The inner circuit runs anticlockwise 2.061km which is 1.288 miles
The outer circuit runs clockwise for 2.938km which is 1.836 miles.

Name:	May 2 Main Straight.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	573.0 KB
ID:	45105

Name:	May 2 Short Pit.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	587.9 KB
ID:	45106

Name:	May 2 Circuit Split.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	553.3 KB
ID:	45107
Old 22 May 2015, 04:00 (Ref:3540084)   #18
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Another airport based on from me, also posted in the airports thread

Imagine that if Melbourne lost out on hosting the F1, where could the Australian event go, back to Adelaide?, how about Perth and they are even prepared to close of the airport for it...

Attachment 45043

It comes in three variations so they could have the V8SCs visit on another weekend using only the Shorter red circuit which doesn't use any of the runways. In fact the cross runway could probably still be used during racing whilst the Main runway would only need to be stopped during the races themselves.

Attachment 45044

The either of the longer circuits could be used by F1, or a major endurance race.

And finally a closeup of the circuit itself out of the airport context.

Attachment 45045
I really like this!

Selby
Old 28 May 2015, 00:04 (Ref:3541933)   #19
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
This a twin circuit that combined is probably too big for F1 these days, but perhaps endurance racing wouldn't mind it.

Both circuits and the combined run anti-clockwise

Name:	May 4 Top view.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	383.1 KB
ID:	45187

I'll post up lap distances later.
Old 31 May 2015, 01:52 (Ref:3543123)   #20
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
This latest design is in a bit of a different Style ... let me know if you like this or my normal regimented barriers.

Name:	June 1 Top View.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	45193

The GP Circuit is 4.764 kms or 2.978 miles in an Anti-clockwise direction

Name:	June 1 North Loop.jpg
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	45194

The North Loop can be used as a Racing School circuit, it's 1.979 kms or 1.236 miles and is anti-clockwise.

Name:	June 1 South Loop.jpg
Size:	484.2 KB
ID:	45195

The South Loop is Grade 2 in it's own right, 3.045kms or 1.903 miles in an Anti-clockwise direction.

A couple of other angles which also shows spectator banking in addition to grandstands

Name:	June 1 Spectator mounds.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	45196 Click image for larger version

Name:	June 1 Spectator mounds 2.jpg
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	45197
Old 15 Jun 2015, 23:04 (Ref:3550953)   #21
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
An early view of the next circuit..

Name:	June 2 Layout.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	45301
Old 23 Jun 2015, 23:14 (Ref:3553478)   #22
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I might get back to that one above sometime....

However Iceman13 produced a modified LeMans circuit in his own thread

So I've had a little think about it and come up with what I'll call a return of F1 circuit for LeMans using a Modified Bugatti circuit and I've stolen A Chunk of Maison Blanc, which will get me into trouble.
It also means a slight changes to the start and finish of the Circuit de Sarthe

Let me know if you appprove

Name:	LeMans.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	544.5 KB
ID:	45353

In close up the obvious change to the start of the lap is that like Iceman I've flipped the Dunlop Chicane The blue colour represents the new layout, with the Red being the current Bugatti layout.

Name:	LeMans Dunlop.jpg
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	45354

The circuit then misses out the infield loop, however this can remain in place for series that want to use it.

Name:	LeMans no infield.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	45356

At the end of the straight, I couldn't quite re-instate the old track, but I have removed the chicane, giving a longer run upto the esses.
Due to the increased speed I've had to cut a tight right hander in before the esses to increase the oertaking, and also allow the tarmac entry to the esses to work for cars before they reach the gravel trap.
The new circuit cuts across the esses before sweeping onto the Maison Blanc extension.

Name:	LeMans esses.jpg
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	45357

This is the bit where I'll be taken out and shot....
The circuit now runs the wrong way down Maison Blanc, before taking a hairpin Right utilising the Maison Blanc (Porsche experience) track, to come back towards the pits again.
There is a new first Ford Chicane this time Right /Left with the new pit entry on the exit (think spa but on a less severe chicane) onto the existing short chute and then the final left Right hasn't been changed.
What it means is that the end of the Sarthe circuit is modified so that the area around Karting now joins onto the parallel return from the hairpin.

Name:	LeMans porsche extension.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	45355

I know it's for fun but without the current infield loop, the circuit would be around 4km or 2.5 miles and with the loop 4.8km or 3 miles. And you'll notice that virtually all of the existing circuit could remain in place

I'll finish with just the layout without the image behind it.

Name:	LeMans no background.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	45358
Old 24 Jun 2015, 01:16 (Ref:3553499)   #23
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There just isn't room to fit an F1 grade Bugatti Circuit where it sits. The layout here's about as good as it gets, but F1 tracks need many sq. km of run-off, something there just isn't room for; not to mention the lack of a big-money investor in F1 in France, given Renault's wobbly stance.
Old 24 Jun 2015, 23:08 (Ref:3553747)   #24
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
F1 tracks need many sq. km of run-off, something there just isn't room for;
I'm going to disagree on that...Take a close up view of the Bugatti circuit on Google Earth and use the measuring tool to look at the distances from the turn in point to the barriers, and then take a look at for example Barcelona.

The Run off at the Dunlop Chicane is almost identical to that at T1 of Barcelona approx 85m. Some of the other corners on the Bugatti have even longer run offs
Old 25 Jun 2015, 10:54 (Ref:3553832)   #25
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel like I should have a go at this, but I have already started thinking about bridges and crossovers :/