Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Mar 2015, 17:00 (Ref:3514870)   #676
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I think he means you havent got to fork out for Sky Sports F1?
Old 13 Mar 2015, 23:14 (Ref:3514941)   #677
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, you don't have fork out extra to the Murdoch empire. Also means you don't have to spend half your day trying to avoid all reports on qualifying
Old 21 Apr 2015, 09:45 (Ref:3529632)   #678
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
More people are taking sky:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32392150
Either that is more people can afford it due to the improving economy, less people have any scruples, or it is offering more of what people want.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 11:44 (Ref:3529654)   #679
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've been using Skys NowTV to watch it. But frankly, I'm now paying £7 a race (and don't get qualifying for that), to watch what has become a very poor product.

Sky is better than BBC. But is F1 worth £7 a race?
Old 21 Apr 2015, 11:44 (Ref:3529655)   #680
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Well, that's very, very bad news indeed.

Selby
Old 21 Apr 2015, 13:35 (Ref:3529690)   #681
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I've been using Skys NowTV to watch it. But frankly, I'm now paying £7 a race (and don't get qualifying for that), to watch what has become a very poor product.

Sky is better than BBC. But is F1 worth £7 a race?
That's £7 per day, so now that we are in Europe, that £7 gives you ...
GP3 race 2,
GP 2 sprint Race,
The F1 race,

Plus longer build up to and post race coverage than the BBC gives on it's live races.

It's not perfect but if you don't want the whole Sky package, it's not that bad a stand alone price.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 14:22 (Ref:3529700)   #682
paulSenna
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
paulSenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post

Plus longer build up to and post race coverage than the BBC gives on it's live races.
Is it longer once you factor in all the adverts?
Old 21 Apr 2015, 15:38 (Ref:3529715)   #683
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
That's £7 per day, so now that we are in Europe, that £7 gives you ...
GP3 race 2,
GP 2 sprint Race,
The F1 race,

It's not perfect but if you don't want the whole Sky package, it's not that bad a stand alone price.
These races only apply in Europe. Up until now I've paid £7 to be disappointed every week. Although Malaysia wasn't bad, I'm now begining to question why I should pay £7 for F1 when I can watch Blancpain, ELMS, PWC for free, or the entire WEC season (Including Le Mans) for £20.

The entertainment value just no longer ads up. I've been watching F1 for 21 years and whilst I realise that isn't much compared to many here, it was a sad realisation this month when I realised I don't actually want to watch it anymore.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 16:49 (Ref:3529743)   #684
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
More people are taking sky:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32392150
Either that is more people can afford it due to the improving economy, less people have any scruples, or it is offering more of what people want.
Or maybe the bundles Sky are offering are becoming cheaper as Sky compete with BTSport and Virgin?
Old 21 Apr 2015, 17:25 (Ref:3529761)   #685
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Or maybe the bundles Sky are offering are becoming cheaper as Sky compete with BTSport and Virgin?
You must be joking. I had a notification from them this morning that my subscription wil increase by £4 per month from May (only £1 of which is for the Sports pack 'though).
Old 21 Apr 2015, 17:50 (Ref:3529769)   #686
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
You must be joking. I had a notification from them this morning that my subscription wil increase by £4 per month from May (only £1 of which is for the Sports pack 'though).
Well if the price is going up, why are more people subscribing to Sky, if that BBC report, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32392150, is correct? Could it have something to do then, with the new season of 'Game of Thrones'?
Old 21 Apr 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3529777)   #687
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From what I've read, the increase this time around is supposed be to in relation to the investment in new Entertainment, much of which is Sky commissioned rather than just bought in American stuff, though there is plenty of that too.

The stuff mentioned included Fortitude, Critical, Forever, Moone Boy, Stella
Old 22 Apr 2015, 09:02 (Ref:3529956)   #688
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Joe Saward has written a piece about the FOM tv coverage for the last few races. He mentions that in Bahrain Manor were almost invisible and even Mercedes seems to have recieved poor coverage considering their involvenent in the race.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2015...itical-weapon/

Is the FOM TV coverage being used for political purposes?
I suspect there could be something given Bernie's dislike of all things Manor.
I know the BBC quite often talk to some of the Manor team but that is not part of the FOM feed.
Old 22 Apr 2015, 10:17 (Ref:3529965)   #689
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if you rewatch the first lap of the bahrain gp and squint at the background, the manor cars were having a great battle amongst themselves. that was the last time we saw them...

it's a valid point.
Old 22 Apr 2015, 11:20 (Ref:3529979)   #690
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Is the FOM TV coverage being used for political purposes?
Yes. When Force India chose to sit out a free practice session at Bahrain, they received zero coverage for the following sessions, even at times when Force India were literally the only team on the circuit. They even cut away from shots that included Force India cars during the race.

So yes, it is being used, has been used, and will be used for political purposes.
Old 22 Apr 2015, 11:22 (Ref:3529980)   #691
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
I had the same letter from Sky, I phoned them up and said I wanted to give them 1 months notice to close my account, and lo and behold after a 5 minute chat I'm now paying a tenner less a month.
Old 26 Apr 2015, 14:19 (Ref:3530927)   #692
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah their account closing team seems to be given special liberties to offer whatever is needed to keep you as a subscriber.
that's their business model, rinse the subscriber for everything they have knowing full well people will grumble And pay it and can't be bothered to ring up to cancel.
then for the few that do ring up offer them the earth to keep them on the hook, like the worst kind of drug dealer.

When it comes to the f1 coverage I find them lacking slightly.
Their selling point seems to be the length of the coverage not how it is filled.
The irony these days being the slightly more inane coverage is behind the pay wall on sky and the more in depth stuff is free to air.
oh how things change

When the bbc is live it blows sky out of the water, the only thing you lack is the incisiveness of bundle, of which DC is a poor shadow of.
It's main problem is the edited highlights races which feel like more of an afterthought.

I'm a big a fan as anyone but there's only so much you're willing to pay for.
To the pub showing the races it is!
Old 26 Apr 2015, 21:19 (Ref:3531024)   #693
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
Yeah their account closing team seems to be given special liberties to offer whatever is needed to keep you as a subscriber.
that's their business model, rinse the subscriber for everything they have knowing full well people will grumble And pay it and can't be bothered to ring up to cancel.
then for the few that do ring up offer them the earth to keep them on the hook, like the worst kind of drug dealer.

When it comes to the f1 coverage I find them lacking slightly.
Their selling point seems to be the length of the coverage not how it is filled.
The irony these days being the slightly more inane coverage is behind the pay wall on sky and the more in depth stuff is free to air.
oh how things change

When the bbc is live it blows sky out of the water, the only thing you lack is the incisiveness of bundle, of which DC is a poor shadow of.
It's main problem is the edited highlights races which feel like more of an afterthought.

I'm a big a fan as anyone but there's only so much you're willing to pay for.
To the pub showing the races it is!
Most businesses in the telco space around the world have a strategic retention team, a group of skilled customer contact people whose purpose in the equation is to keep your business.

It is far less expensive for the company to figure out your touch points and cater to those than rather than to go cold calling 100 people and maybe getting 6 or 7 bites which might convert to 2 sales.

Sure, they operate formulaically, with a defined process to go thru to understand the issue that may be preventing you to re-sign, but that works to two purposes, for the customer to get one view of the company virtually regardless of who serves you, and the company gets a technique that has been refined over a period of time, one they know satisfies the customer, and keeps the customer signed up!

Not sure that makes these people 'drug dealers'.

You are not forced to re-sign. There is no physical act from any representative of a telco across a phone line that forces your mouth to open and your vocal chords to vibrate in the air, to make the word 'yes' pop out.

I have watched the F1 from the pub, even when the hours dont suit us southern hemispherians... and with a group of like minded people, maybe a meal and some cool or warm drinks, its actually a nice way to fly...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 May 2015, 10:05 (Ref:3535754)   #694
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Ted Kravits left tomorrow, I would not be upset.
Old 11 May 2015, 08:02 (Ref:3536367)   #695
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Tbh, Ted and Brundle are the only things that make me watch Sky over BBC. In saying that, £7 a race on NowTV has meant I'm just not paying to watch at all, as F1 isn't good enough to pay that amount of money for frankly.
Old 11 May 2015, 11:44 (Ref:3536417)   #696
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh, I was contemplating paying £7 for a HD stream per race, but it's just not worth it, is it?

Selby
Old 11 May 2015, 13:54 (Ref:3536445)   #697
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sky continue to do a good job with their coverage, but I confess that as my lady and I don't have said F1 channel, my love for F1 is actually, progressively, fading.

I'm finding myself now YouTubing WEC events, skipping through elements, but finding the cars for my taste more visually appealing and the competition a tad more interesting.

I know we're all die-hard fans on here, as this is clearly a pretty niche motorsport forum - but I find it interesting that if someone like myself (33, been into / raced / worked-in motorsport) has lost a lot of the interest in the sport, there's something wrong.

I read a piece from BT Sport's CEO talking about the lack of free-to-air coverage of a particular sport links tangibly to a gradual decline in that sport's followers.

Football can be slightly different - but that's due to the volume of games / teams / leagues / showing of big games in many pubs - and the 'jumpers for goalposts' easy entry-into the sport. With motorsport, it's a little different.

I sat through most of the Spanish GP and my god it was excruciatingly dull. No more of a snoozefest than the Schuey / Vettel years - but my oh my, painfully dull. Now I've always argued with friends / colleagues that motorsport is exciting viewing, but now I'm detatching myself from that opinion. I'm annoyed I've developed such apathy towards it all - I feel like a man who's fallen out of love!?

I think part of my diminishing interest is also linked to the likes of Autosport.com restricting the number of articles you can view for free etc.

This forum, for me, helps massively retain my interest in motorsport as a whole - the debate / insight / rumour-mill keeps me just about engaged enough to switch the F1 on, but my engagement level is dipping.

I'm certain it's down to the lack of terrestrial viewing - getting out of the routine of seeing the quali / free practice / race...I feel I'm falling out of love with it all. What's that all about?!

Last edited by spider; 11 May 2015 at 14:18.
Old 12 May 2015, 13:41 (Ref:3536763)   #698
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Sky continue to do a good job with their coverage, but I confess that as my lady and I don't have said F1 channel, my love for F1 is actually, progressively, fading.

I'm finding myself now YouTubing WEC events, skipping through elements, but finding the cars for my taste more visually appealing and the competition a tad more interesting.

I know we're all die-hard fans on here, as this is clearly a pretty niche motorsport forum - but I find it interesting that if someone like myself (33, been into / raced / worked-in motorsport) has lost a lot of the interest in the sport, there's something wrong.

I read a piece from BT Sport's CEO talking about the lack of free-to-air coverage of a particular sport links tangibly to a gradual decline in that sport's followers.

Football can be slightly different - but that's due to the volume of games / teams / leagues / showing of big games in many pubs - and the 'jumpers for goalposts' easy entry-into the sport. With motorsport, it's a little different.

I sat through most of the Spanish GP and my god it was excruciatingly dull. No more of a snoozefest than the Schuey / Vettel years - but my oh my, painfully dull. Now I've always argued with friends / colleagues that motorsport is exciting viewing, but now I'm detatching myself from that opinion. I'm annoyed I've developed such apathy towards it all - I feel like a man who's fallen out of love!?

I think part of my diminishing interest is also linked to the likes of Autosport.com restricting the number of articles you can view for free etc.

This forum, for me, helps massively retain my interest in motorsport as a whole - the debate / insight / rumour-mill keeps me just about engaged enough to switch the F1 on, but my engagement level is dipping.

I'm certain it's down to the lack of terrestrial viewing - getting out of the routine of seeing the quali / free practice / race...I feel I'm falling out of love with it all. What's that all about?!
With you 100%.

The cars looked so damn drab in qualifying. Didn't look hard to drive, all looked smooth, and very slow.

At least when they first introduced the new rules, the cars were sliding, there was an element of unpredictability with retirements coming back, but even that only lasted a couple of races.

It's all too plain sailing for me now.

I realised my love was seriously dying when I had no butterflies in my stomach at all at the start.

That hum will never beat the high pitch scream of the V8-V12's on the grid, getting ready for all 5 lights to disappear!

Such a shame!

At least we have a subscription F1 archive we can watch all the old races on.... oh, wait........

Selby
Old 12 May 2015, 14:17 (Ref:3536766)   #699
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
David Coulthard saying very similar things in his column this morning.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/32699924

cars are too slow, drivers are hardly ever on the limit, its not an athletic challenge, tires are pants, and DRS is artificial.
Old 12 May 2015, 16:38 (Ref:3536787)   #700
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
David Coulthard saying very similar things in his column this morning.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/32699924

cars are too slow, drivers are hardly ever on the limit, its not an athletic challenge, tires are pants, and DRS is artificial.
And on top of that, you have to pay for the privilege of watching the entire season.

Just reflecting on last Sunday's race and I know Catalunya comes in for much criticism but it's on the calendar, apart from maybe a die-hard motorsports fan, who would be willing to pay to watch that?

Tags
pinks