Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Nov 2001, 12:02 (Ref:168708)   #1
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where did Panoz go wrong?

There hasn't been any official announcement yet but I think we can assume that there will not be a 2002 European Le Mans Series.

Do you think we will see the ELMS back in 2003, or is the ACO buddy-buddy with the FIA now?

Is this a case of the FIA doing the better job , or did Panoz do even worse? What are the reasons for his failure in Europe?

Last edited by cybersdorf; 2 Nov 2001 at 12:09.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 13:13 (Ref:168730)   #2
Julien
Rookie

Julien should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
interesting question. ELMS wasn't a big success, but nore was the FIA-GT and SRWC. Panoz thought his serie would have a better success (the formula remains the same as ALMS) and he was a bit disapointed but hey this is Europa! I see 2 reasons for this failure: poor grids (as a result of the competition with SRWC and FIA-GT which are seen as "official" competitions here in Europa) and lack of interest in a proto championship from the Europeans (the European sportcar fan core only looks at Le Mans, in US the fans were interested by their whole championship (IMSA) and saw in ALMS a sort of continuation (I suppose).
Another thing: here the fans have Le Mans, and because Europa is not too big they can afford to do the trip once a year. So why would they bother to attend a little race with only 6 or 7 protos? In US the word Le Mans included in ALMS is attracting enough because people have the oportunity to see the cars of a race they will probably never attend, they're interested in having a piece of the "Le Mans spirit" not too far from their home.

I'm a true ALMS fan but I think Panoz would make a good choice in stoping ELMS. There is enough championships here in Europa, Panoz must stop wasting money and concentrate on ALMS because the potential is big, but only in US.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 13:27 (Ref:168737)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is my belive that there should be just on world sports car championship. It should be run to Le Mans rules, I belive that this series should not just be run in europe, but should be world wide. A calander could look somting like this:-

Daytona 24 Hours
Sebring 12 Hours
Monza 1000 Km
Silverstone/Brands/Donnington 1000 Km
Nurburging 1000 Km
Spa 24 Hours
Suzuka 1000 Km
Petit Le Mans
Kyalami 6 Hours

Now if they could get the manufactors in this would be a great championship.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 17:19 (Ref:168881)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Dr. Panoz got spread to thin too quickly. If he concentrates on his domestic package and can get some more manufacturers involved then the series will grow. Only then can he begin to forge relationships in Europe and Asia to expand.
Old 3 Nov 2001, 03:03 (Ref:169184)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think KC has got it - Dr. Panoz spread himself a bit too thin. First he needs to consolidate his series in NOrth America (because that's where the money is) and work on the tracks he owns (Mosport and Road Atlanta) to develop them like the Virginia track, and once he gets that under control it will be time to move into Europe.

I hope he does it soon though, as I really did enjoy watching the cars at Donington Park this Easter!
Old 3 Nov 2001, 11:48 (Ref:169275)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I hope he does it soon though, as I really did enjoy watching the cars at Donington Park this Easter!
I guess there won't be any European races at all now. Will European privateer teams have to travel overseas to try and qualify for Le Mans?