Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Oct 2010, 13:20 (Ref:2775356)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DTM USA; Looks like its happening in 2013!

Via good old Autosport!

I think I see what's happening here; DTM in the USA, DTM in Europe, DTM/Super GT in Asia?

DTM Global Series?!?

Seems like WTCC/GT1/F1/LMIC better watch out, there's a new kid on the global stage!

Anyway ignoring rampant speculation, looks like the DTM wants to go to the USA in 2013. New manufacters anyone?
Old 15 Oct 2010, 14:36 (Ref:2775382)   #2
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although the thought is interesting, I've never been a firm believer. Primarily because GA doesn't seem to thrive in scenarios requiring cooperation.
With the likelihood of GT3 chassis (or some *******ised variant) becoming eligible for GrandAm competition next year, one would assume the adoption of DTM rules would be of little significance to manufacturers with GT3 chassis already available.

After all, Audi, Mercedes, and BMW have GT3 chassis available, and with a likelihood of potential categories in both the US and Japan for 2011, I don't see why the DTM merger is necessary (from GA's perspective).

If the move is successful it could have far reaching ramifications.
The ALMS may as well farewell any chance of future Audi (although that's a foregone conclusion) or BMW participation.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 15 Oct 2010 at 15:00.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2775464)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
So that would make it the "ATM" then?
Old 15 Oct 2010, 18:34 (Ref:2775507)   #4
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm quite excited by this announcement.

What's going on with Grand Am though? I can see NASCAR finding a DTM based series with heavy backing from the Euro and Japanese factories a lot more marketable than the current GA plan to American road racing fans but I can't see them sacrificing their own baby for it either.

It appears a massive sea change in global motorsports is in the making, 2014/15 could be very interesting years for the sport as a whole.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 19:35 (Ref:2775534)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was a huge DTM fan back in the 1990's and I remember about 1994 or so there was talk of a US round which never came to pass. From about 1993-1998 you could watch all the DTM and supertouring races from Germany with an english overdub/commentary here in the USA on a channel that ended up becoming Fox Sports. The late 80's stuff was before my time, but I've watched some races from back then in recent times and that was great as well.

Now though the cars are too unrealistic and a bit plain and it just doesn't click for me.

Italian Superstars is more like it to me.

However, I'm open to ideas and will be open to this series, if it happens.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2775581)   #6
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If these manufacturers want it to happen then it more then likely will.

But i think it's an awfull idea. Imo DTM is an overpriced factory touring car championship, and a national one that is. There is no need to expand the serie either in Europe (with WTCC & BTCC) or the US. If Mercedes, Audi and BMW want to race and spent 50 million+ each, i'd much rather see them enter Sportcars, Nascar or Indycar.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 12:47 (Ref:2775752)   #7
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I disagree. This makes perfect sense. BMW, Audi and Mercedes are the largest premium car brands in the world. What better than to run series showcasing 'suped up versions' of their cars in their three biggest markets - US, Germany and Japan. Indycar, sports cars or even F1 bear no relation whatsoever to the road going output of manufacturers... at least DTM looks somewhat like them. DTM is massively successful in Germany and if these additional series even garner a fraction of the attention in the US and Japan, they'll have made sense.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 14:04 (Ref:2775769)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Road racing in general and Grand-Am in particular gets very little media interest in the US. I doubt this will do much to change that attitude.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 14:06 (Ref:2775770)   #9
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as NASCAR's around, I doubt any Touring Car series, however successful it is in Europe and other parts of the world, will succeed in America.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 15:05 (Ref:2775790)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
DTM has one driver per car, 175-190km, 60-70min races. That has nothing to do with the current Grand-Am Rolex Series. In addition, it's sedans running, which have more sales than coupés.

The ACO shouldn't worry because they do endurance sports car races, not sprint touring car races.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 16:26 (Ref:2775805)   #11
Roninho
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I disagree. This makes perfect sense. BMW, Audi and Mercedes are the largest premium car brands in the world. What better than to run series showcasing 'suped up versions' of their cars in their three biggest markets - US, Germany and Japan. Indycar, sports cars or even F1 bear no relation whatsoever to the road going output of manufacturers... at least DTM looks somewhat like them. DTM is massively successful in Germany and if these additional series even garner a fraction of the attention in the US and Japan, they'll have made sense.
Imo DTM is succesfull in Germany because the manufacturers spent tens of millions in promotion of the events. I really don't think it in the cars. I'm very confident that if DTM was a serie with LMP1 or Superleague cars it would be way more popular (assuming the manufacturers would spent the same $ on promotion).

Apart from the manufacturers (through ITR) controlling the serie i see no advantage for going this route over entering in LMP1 or indycar.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 16:30 (Ref:2775807)   #12
Roninho
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The ACO shouldn't worry because they do endurance sports car races, not sprint touring car races.
Agreed.
The question remains though why they cannot interest BMW (and Mercedes) to enter Le Mans. BWM and Mercedes could win at le mans with the money they are (going to) spend(ing) on DTM.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2775811)   #13
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If GARRA runs this, then it will never be more than a sideshow. Too bad the SCCA and NASA are complete shambles.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2775826)   #14
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninho View Post
why they cannot interest BMW
Herr Draeger said BMW is returning to its roots and it's touring car or silhouette racing, not sports cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninho View Post
why they cannot interest Mercedes
They already have an expensive F1 toy.

Besides, BMW and Mercedes bosses have weidhed pros and cons before this step. If somebody thinks he's found some mistakes in their risk weighting then he should connect with Mario - maybe BMW Motorsport boss will change his mind, take his team out of that and employ that "somebody".
Old 16 Oct 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2775831)   #15
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I'm very confident that if DTM was a serie with LMP1 or Superleague cars it would be way more popular
Calling Cow-poo on that one. Except for a brief period in the early 80s, Germany's top-series has always been production-based (or at least production-based looking), and that's what people here are looking for...
Old 16 Oct 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2775838)   #16
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
Herr Draeger said BMW is returning to its roots and it's touring car or silhouette racing, not sports cars.
Actually this is what he said:
Quote:
The return of BMW to the DTM is a fundamental part of the restructuring of our motorsport activities. With its increased commitment to production car racing, BMW is returning to its roots.
Even though he means DTM, which is not production car based, that comment suits their S2000 and GT programmes.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 18:52 (Ref:2775848)   #17
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We were talking about that long time ago. Works BMW need to compete in the series where their market rivals are. BMW need to advertise their M3 in USA and Japan. What they can do? Of course, they are already in Grand-Am (well, their engine and nostrils) and ALMS. But they can not make money with their M3 GT2. They need cheep solution. Voila, here DTM M3 comes.

And. FIA couldn't work out a true international platform for touringcars (well, smth like touring, as only BMW 320si is a true touring car and Chevy and Seat are real prototypes with non serial engine, not saying about Lada). Maybe manufacturers will be able to make it on their own? Put a new Group 5 forward!
Old 17 Oct 2010, 01:26 (Ref:2775965)   #18
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, it could be really interesting. But in order for it to work it would need a lot of promotion from NASCAR (so far not seen in their Grand-Am offshoot), at least one US manufacturer (to give some hometown appeal on the branding front) and significantly different technical rules (that would allow the cars to actually put on a good race).

I think that the second and third aspects may be resolved (Opel is looking at possibly jumping in, and if they do, it wouldn't be hard to rebrand an Opel in North America as a Buick). And the 2012 rules should be much better on the racing front (unless the ITR is completely incompetent; although I have not encountered a sanctioning body that isn't).

But with regards to the first issue, I have some serious concerns. If NASCAR genuinely want to do this as a new premium series to reach fans not interested in their traditional product; then I think the series could really work. However, part of me thinks that this may just be a way to divert big manufacturers away from competing series by providing them somewhere to race which satisfies their technical requirements (since they are not about to go for pushrods, carbs and suspension from the 60s), but which keeps them in a convenient location which denies resources to NASCAR's competition.

I really don't know if it's the former or the latter.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 08:24 (Ref:2776008)   #19
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Official statement with quotes from Aufrecht and Grand Am president Tom Bledsoe
Old 17 Oct 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2776199)   #20
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Stateside coverage available this am, for a change.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 16:57 (Ref:2776200)   #21
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should call it Trans-Am

I like the idea of DTM cars going round tracks like Road America, Montreal and Watkins Glen, lets hope it will happen.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 17 Oct 2010, 17:02 (Ref:2776202)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
They should call it Trans-Am

I like the idea of DTM cars going round tracks like Road America, Montreal and Watkins Glen, lets hope it will happen.
The SCCA, AFAIK, owns the rights to the name, which I presume could always be purchased or leased.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 19:18 (Ref:2776250)   #23
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Where could they race? These are Nascar's and Grand-Am's most high-profile races:

January / February - Daytona
May - Charlotte
June - Watkins Glen
June - Road America
July - Indianapolis
August - Watkins Glen
August - Montreal, Trois-Riviéres?

Plus boring Grand-Am races at Homestead, Virginia, Lime Rock, Mid-Ohio, Miller, New Jersey.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2776335)   #24
Speed-King
Veteran

Grand Am draws relatively well at Barber, New Jersey, Virginia and Mid Ohio, so I'd think those would be on the schedule.

So here's what I think the schedule will be

Daytona (N) - Barber (G) - VIR (G)- Lime Rock (G)- Road America (N) - Sonoma (N) - New Jersey (G)- Watkins Glen (N) - Montreal (N) - Mid Ohio (G) - Homestead (N)

That's one race short and mostly based on this year's schedules, but I think overall that should be about it.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 04:49 (Ref:2776432)   #25
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Grand Am draws relatively well at Barber, New Jersey, Virginia and Mid Ohio, so I'd think those would be on the schedule.

So here's what I think the schedule will be

Daytona (N) - Barber (G) - VIR (G)- Lime Rock (G)- Road America (N) - Sonoma (N) - New Jersey (G)- Watkins Glen (N) - Montreal (N) - Mid Ohio (G) - Homestead (N)

That's one race short and mostly based on this year's schedules, but I think overall that should be about it.
Think the schedule would start with a Friday race at Daytona with the GA guy for the 24 hour? Would give you the full compliment of events but I didn't read any of the articles to see if they are starting with a Speedweek event leading up to the Daytona 500.