Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 13 Apr 2006, 21:33 (Ref:1580754)   #1
Helicon_One
Rookie

Helicon_One should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Redesign

As the long rumoured silverstone modifications are still to appear, I thought it was time I presented my own idea. I had two main aims in mind for this redesign: Make better use of available space by cutting across the current infield section, and restore Silverstone to the high speed, lower downforce, power circuit it used to be (there's enough Tilkedromes in the season already, thanks).

So, the new layout is untouched until the new right hander at Vale, at least a half-opportunity to overtake if the run through Stowe is good (no less so than the current Vale is, anyway). The circuit then cuts across the current infield (and Stowe circuit), charging down the straight towards the 'new' Clark turn. I say 'new', because I cheated slightly. Clark is in fact a carbon copy of Bridge going left instead of right, but with the long straight before and afterwards this will be much faster. It should be a real ballsy, near flat-out turn. At the end of the new Farm Straight is the second overtaking opportunity at the new Brooklands, which leads into a more open and faster Priory-Luffield-Woodcote complex. They'll really be at high speed acrosss the finish line.

for the International Circuit, Ireland is more or less an continuation of the Becketts sequence connecting to Farm, giving the track a real daunting test of ability before the run down to the out-braking point at Brooklands. The National Circuit now makes Brooklands into a double-left, which should be fun.

So, thoughts? Silverstone layouts of your own?

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Silverstone.jpg  
Old 13 Apr 2006, 21:50 (Ref:1580764)   #2
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a nice attempt, but I don't buy all this "we're not using the infield to the full" that many people throw about at the moment.

I've seen other similar designs and when you look at them closely, they don't actually create any more space for development. They just shift it from one side of the track to the other.

Silverstone has already got a very large infield that is under-developed. They need to consentrate on improving that first before trying to fiddle with the actual race-track.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 23:27 (Ref:1580878)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think its more an access issue. Most developments need good access. Sticking them on the infield of a race track doesn't really make sense.

By reducing the size of infield you make emergency access better (you can easily cut from one side to the other with your ambulance or whatever rather than following the track the long way round) and also from a spectating point of view it means you can see more parts of the track during the race. In the above proposal for instance, spectators could move easily between Maggotts/Becketts and Farm Straight, the paddock and the new 'Clark Curve' in a short space of time and with minimal effort.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 23:32 (Ref:1580879)   #4
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Posted this in another thread ages ago but I thought I'd post it again. I will do another version however with the new oval in.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 14 Apr 2006, 07:08 (Ref:1581000)   #5
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AF, that's actually quite good. It has some parts of the 2002 (?) Silverstone proposable and has a modern feel to it. Thumbs up!
Old 14 Apr 2006, 07:20 (Ref:1581003)   #6
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've done two versions of Silverstone myself through my years on My Tracks. Here they are. I especially like the second one, which, IMHO, is the most realistic and future-oriented. Tell me what you think.

With the second one comes a description of my changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustigson
I haven't been too drastic with my Silverstone design. I really like the track because it has an authentic feel about it as do tracks like San Marino, Montréal, Monza, Spa and, to a lesser extent, Albert Park.

First of all, I tightened Copse. I'd really like to see a bit more overtaking there. There should be enough run-off, with both gravel and tarmac. The entire section through Maggotts, Beckets and Chapel as well as Hangar Straight remain intact. However, you can see that I envisioned a new pits and paddock complex along Hangar.

Stowe is my first major reconstruction. It would be the first corner of the new Grand Prix track and I sort of copied the first few turns of Sakhir. However, the current Stowe corner remains for, say, club races to be used. My second overhaul is Club, where both the entry and the exit are tighter, not unlike the snail at Shanghai.

I re-instated the old Abbey curve, which I like very much. Here, too, I kept the current chicane for any series that my wish to use it.

The other major change at my new Silverstone is the complex. I loosened up Bridge, and it would be even faster than today. It lead up to a new and tighter Piory corner. Both these corners should improve overtaking into the complex.

Brooklands is as it is, but I made some minor changes to Luffield. I changed the corner into two slower ones. Especially the last one is important, because with cars coming onto the main straight slower and, thus, more packed together, slipstreaming through Woodcote and across the main straight, should improve.

Then there's a number of alternative (club) circuits I came up with. Most of it is already there now, but I added a couple of new corners and chicanes.

Last edited by Lustigson; 14 Apr 2006 at 07:26.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1581094)   #7
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here's my go - can't remember if I've posted it before:

Old 15 Apr 2006, 19:09 (Ref:1582999)   #8
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
V8_TURBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysfirst
Posted this in another thread ages ago but I thought I'd post it again. I will do another version however with the new oval in.
you could just post a link to the thread.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1583003)   #9
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
V8_TURBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but I do kind of prefer the design that alwaysfirst posted because of the extension of the hairpin and the run up to it is a fair distance.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 20:44 (Ref:1583066)   #10
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Here's the newer version with the oval. I decided to do an oval longer than half a mile as I feel that with 12 degree banking this is just too short + it would mean that no single seater formulas could race on it due to it being just too short. My oval is a bit over 1 mile I think? This would alow some single seater racing (F BMW/F3/FRenault). I have also reprofiled Priory & Bridge slightly to allow more runoff at Abbey.

Old 15 Apr 2006, 21:15 (Ref:1583088)   #11
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

There's mine, dodgy artwork, i blame the crappy mouse
But you get the general idea..
Old 15 Apr 2006, 22:46 (Ref:1583148)   #12
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well here's what I'd do with it...

The First section of the circuit remains the same until the hanger straight. Stowe has been tightened into an open hairpin before turning left handed into a sweeper down to a more open Club corner. The circuit continues down to a new Abbey chicane which turns right then left onto what is the international circuit, only in the other direction. The GP circuit then turns left handed onto the National Straight under the 2 bridges into a fast left hander (designed to replace the current Bridge corner) before hard braking into what is now the Luffield Hairpin. The exit from Luffield onto the start finish straight remains the same.

The Club circuit remains essentially the same, utilising the new left hander and Luffields section. Not marked on the diagram, there would be the option to soften the fast left hander by using the current Brooklands corner rejoining the new layout before the Luffield hairpin.

The International circuit is "all new". A new pitlane has been built between Club and the new Abbey chicane, and runs the wrong way around the current international ciruit before Joining the GP loop with a straight on entry into Becketts. The Ireland Chicane remains (reprofiled for the "wrong direction") for bikes or series that wish to use it. A new pit entry has been placed at the entrance to Club corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Silverstone_mod2.jpg  
Old 16 Apr 2006, 00:29 (Ref:1583204)   #13
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
I like the more open Club but I would much rather keep Stowe as it is.

Old 16 Apr 2006, 11:08 (Ref:1584894)   #14
ricardoreyes
Rookie

Germany
nice, little suburb near Aachen
ricardoreyes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with alwaysfirst according to the stowe and club section.
Also I don't like it that there is no bridge corner any more.
Maybe i post my silverstone redesign to the forum, if i Find it.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 11:18 (Ref:1584899)   #15
ricardoreyes
Rookie

Germany
Ok Here's my attempt.
Maybe it is a bit too dangerous or too fast.
Attached Thumbnails
silverstone redesign2.jpg  
Old 16 Apr 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1585029)   #16
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoreyes
I agree with alwaysfirst according to the stowe and club section.
Also I don't like it that there is no bridge corner any more.
Maybe i post my silverstone redesign to the forum, if i Find it.
The new fast left hander coming off the National straight after the 2 bridges is intended as to replace the current Bridge corner both for the Driver and the fans.

The Area between the National Straight, the International Ciruit and current run down to Bridge would make for an idea exhibition area usable which ever circuit configeration is being used.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 14:28 (Ref:1585045)   #17
ricardoreyes
Rookie

Germany
It's a nice corner, but i think it is not possiple to replace bridge corner adequatly
by another corner.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 22:30 (Ref:1585400)   #18
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone

Tricky

I've always found Silverstone a tricky circuit to modify, perhaps because the current circuit is more than good enough I feel. However, after a few, dismal attempts in the past, i've come up with somelike that I like.

Changes

Map;

As you can see, in terms of shape there are no drastic changes, it is still Silverstone. My first change, comes with re-instating the old Stowe and Club, I like what is there now - but I wanted a classic feel to this section of the circuit. It then breaks into a new right/left hairpin not dissimilar to the one showcased by the current south circuit.

This chicane is not in the same place as that one.

Following this, the circuit kinks onto Abbey - before following through Bridge and further along the straight joining up with the National variant of the circuit, in what would be an overtaking opportunity. I have then re-modelled Luffield (but no Carbon Copy) to be reminiscent of the 1991-1996 variant.

Do you like it?
Old 17 Apr 2006, 07:36 (Ref:1585562)   #19
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoreyes
Ok Here's my attempt.
Maybe it is a bit too dangerous or too fast.

Like it. From Stowe all the way back via flat out sweepers, in to a heavy braking zone.
Nice one ricardoreyes