Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 30 Apr 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2452819)   #1
uncle bernie
Rookie

uncle bernie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Im new

Hi Uncle Bernie here,

I love, Beer, Mini Cooper 1960's racing, Newcastle United (Yeah Yeah were gannin doon!!!) and the family.

I'm an Ex- Alexander Engineering employee, who is always on the look out for information regarding Alexander's, I'm particularly, trying to find out what happened to one of their drivers Elizabeth( Liz ) Jones. A car she raced in during the 1960's (notably the 6 hour saloon car race at Brands Hatch in 1963, was a recent "barn find" and has been fully restored, would like know how or why it had been abandoned.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2452842)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Hi Uncle Bernie
I don't know an awful lot about Alexanders but my mate Norman Ricketts has always lived in Haddenham and his business premises are next to the old Alexander site that was the old Ted Martin building. He still on occasion does work for Ted for his model railway set up. I'll try and grill him.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Apr 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2452875)   #3
uncle bernie
Rookie

alexanders

Hi Gordon,

Although I now live in the North East, I still visit family and friends in the High Wycombe area, and my best friend lives in Haddenham.

I remember Ted Martin, and some of his employees, one called Bernhard, sometimes would give me a lift to and from work, he lived in Wendover, I know Ted will not remember me, mid 1960's, I was 16/17 years of age, however it's good to know he is well.
Old 3 May 2009, 17:56 (Ref:2454690)   #4
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome Uncle Bernie.

Can't say I recall Liz, but your post put me in mind of another lady-racer I raced against in the late sixties and early seventies. Susan Tucker-Peake. Here's another old picture from my scrap book. Anyone remember her?
Attached Thumbnails
Paddock.jpg  
Old 3 May 2009, 19:11 (Ref:2454720)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!

I've taken the liberty and blown her up a bit Jerry
http://falconmotorclub.googlepages.com/guyfawkesstory Scan this down to the 60s it must be her coming from a motorsport family ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 May 2009, 11:36 (Ref:2456396)   #6
uncle bernie
Rookie

Hi Gordon,

Did you ever come up against another Alexander driver Mick Clare????
Old 6 May 2009, 16:32 (Ref:2456595)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle bernie View Post
Hi Gordon,

Have you had a look at this site ? Click on the different pictures and you may find something.
http://mk1-performance-conversions.c...xander_eng.htm
This is a brilliant site telling the whole story if you click on the right places.
Old 6 May 2009, 19:05 (Ref:2456704)   #8
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I've taken the liberty and blown her up a bit Jerry
http://falconmotorclub.googlepages.com/guyfawkesstory Scan this down to the 60s it must be her coming from a motorsport family ?
Blimey - The Yorkshire Grey was my Dad's local, and later mine until Jack the Landlord died around 1983.

Sue Tucker-Peake was fairly well known around Stevenage at the time and she was a pretty good racer.

Nearby, Knebworth Park ran Grass Track meetings at the time, and first prize in the raffle was a lap around the circuit in an Avenger Tiger driven by Sue T-P. Unfortunately a spectacular slide at the finish ended up with the poor yellow Avenger on it's roof - but at least the organisers agreed to pay for cleaning the winners suit

How many people these days go to a Grass Track meeting wearing a suit?
Old 7 May 2009, 07:57 (Ref:2456999)   #9
uncle bernie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Have you had a look at this site ? Click on the different pictures and you may find something.
http://mk1-performance-conversions.c...xander_eng.htm
This is a brilliant site telling the whole story if you click on the right places.

Hi Gordon,

Yep I know the site, I am a member, using the Uncle Bernie tag.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 22:59 (Ref:3667287)   #10
HughWilliams
Rookie

HughWilliams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle bernie View Post
Hi Gordon,

Hi uncle bernie my great grandfather was the Alexander driver Mick Clare.