Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 2 Jun 2003, 13:52 (Ref:617785)   #1
howard
Rookie

howard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BARC single seater series Snett 31st & 1st June

Qualified 2nd for the first race with a time of 1.15.13 (my quickest of the weekend), between a FVL and a RT30. Too much wheel-spin dropped me to 4th at the start, but back up to second by the end of the first lap. On the 3rd lap I pushed too hard and ended up beaching the car in the gravel at the second corner. No damage done but out of the race. When I say gravel, I really mean the framer's field.

Second race started from the back, with 10 cars in front of me (just wished I had the camera set up). Made a good start, passing 2 cars by the first corner. Picked off a few more on the long straight. By lap 3 I was up with the 2 lead FVLs, and pass the first along the start/finish straight. Spent the next 8 laps trying everything I could to catch the leader but over cooked it again. The last lap spin meant I lost second place. With no time left, I cross the line in 3rd. Fantastic race.

Just to put the lap times in perspective, the southern Formula Ford Zetecs were lapping in the low 1.13.00, with 35 bhp less then me. So my car still has a huge amount of performance left in it. Just need the driver to find it.

This is a fun, enjoyable, social and good value series. I hope to see more drivers at the next event.

Howard
Old 2 Jun 2003, 13:59 (Ref:617797)   #2
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw you lot on Saturday as i was there with the Zetecs.

A mixed grid to say the least but it seems to be growing slowly. The winner won by about a mile and even then did not look to be having to try too hard judging by a very relaxed and kerb-friendly line around Russell!

Sunday was much the same with the same car pretty much having a fun day out and winning as he pleased, but you did entertain Howard and that car of yours certainly seems quick in a straight line. I should think it suits Snetterton more than anywhere else mind you - why not put some wings on it?

I can't see how BARC can do this series so cheaply compared to other champs, and one guy told me you even have prize monye and an ARP F3 prize drive for the overall champion.

Last edited by JR Ewing; 2 Jun 2003 at 14:06.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 15:18 (Ref:617881)   #3
howard
Rookie

If the races were separated it would have been nice to have a few of the Zetec boys in the race. Then we would have had a full grid!

For now, I think the driver needs the most work, but if the funds were available I'd

- put wings on the front & rear
- simple full length floor
- better dampers
- 5 speed box with LSD
- 8' & 10' wheels with APR F3 rubber

(In fact make it in to John Lewis' VD F4 car)
Old 4 Jun 2003, 12:42 (Ref:620457)   #4
Barny
Racer

Barny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What car are you driving howard?
Old 4 Jun 2003, 13:23 (Ref:620552)   #5
JR Ewing
Veteran

Will that make it a 97 too then??
Old 4 Jun 2003, 15:09 (Ref:620679)   #6
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See if you can get closer on July 13th then Howard!
Old 9 Jul 2003, 13:16 (Ref:656847)   #7
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This morning the double header at Snett for this formula was cancelled with only 3 entries, one of which was never going to appear because it was too close to the Renault race he was entered in. The cost of entering for this event was very reasonable. There must be cars out there with no championship to run in, Formula Vauxhall and 1700 Renault spring to mind, so why are these open formulas so poorly supported.
The year before last ( I think it was) BRSCC ran one and that barely struggled along. Many years ago a Libre race would have good entries, these formulas are little different, so why the lack of interest?
Old 9 Jul 2003, 13:30 (Ref:656864)   #8
JR Ewing
Veteran

Promotion?
No-one knows it exists?
Too many classes?
Old 9 Jul 2003, 13:39 (Ref:656871)   #9
howard
Rookie

This is a fun, enjoyable, social and good value series but it needs promotion.

There must be a lot of cars that don´t fit Mono or F4 (750) rules, but the drives would like to run them.

Or am I wrong ?
Old 9 Jul 2003, 14:11 (Ref:656896)   #10
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its ideal for cars mentioned above and if scheduled properly could be excellent value test time for other formulae running at the same events.

Ive had great fun in the few Ive competed in.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 14:30 (Ref:656906)   #11
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your right JR, but this formula has a sponsor, something a lot of more successful formulas doesn't have, surely he would insist that someone should push it forward. Does it have a variety of classes? I wouldn't have thought that wasn't appropriate.
Howard and Jonathan, you've just echoed my thoughts without an explanation. As you two seem to be the backbone of the formula one of you needs to assume the mantle of rep, do some homework on what types of cars could be languishing in garages and get Autosport to put some words in their "briefly" column to try to jack the numbers up or, quite honestly I can't see it lasting into next season.